Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 00:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tough choice: Booth and Columbia

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Booth? Columbia?

• 69% [25]
  • 30% [11]
You may select 1 option
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia (matriculating 2013), Booth (admitted), Wharton (WL)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 13

Tough choice: Booth and Columbia [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2011, 20:00
Hi all, I am incredibly fortunate to have gotten into both programs. Some info on me, energy banking analyst in Houston, want to return to energy finance like IB or corpfin (e.g. a corpdev program). Because I've gotten into both schools, UT isn't really on par (in my opinion) with the other finance programs. I understand UT has a strong energy network in town, my bank recruits there, it also has a specialized energy finance program, but I already have a decent network in town and would like to build more with people from top 5/10 programs. I've also been waitlisted at Wharton (will probably go there if later admitted), but because I have two clear acceptances here, I've put Wharton in the back of my mind.

I'm planning to visit both schools within the next month to hopefully make my decision easier. What is everyone's opinion here on gmatclub? Thanks in advance. It is truly a difficult decision for me and has been occupying my mind 24/7.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Schools: Tuck 2013!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Tough choice: Booth and Columbia [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 06:39
CBS has the advantage of being in NYC and Booth has a great momentum, which I believe is more relevant than CBS' location.

I visited both schools and can tell you that I got more impressed with both Booth's student body and faculty. Moreover, Booth's facilities are outstanding, while CBS' are not very impressive.

I'd would choose Booth for those reasons, plus I, personally, like the city of Chicago better than NYC. The only downturn for me would be those air tickets I'd have to buy to network in Manhattan.

Good luck!

Hanover, Hear My Train a Comin' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 86

Reviews Badge
Re: Tough choice: Booth and Columbia [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 21:46
If you haven't already compared the websites for each school's energy club, you might find these helpful:

Booth Energy Group
CBS Energy Club

Just glancing at the pages, it looks like CBS has considerably more energy-related courses to choose from. You might want to email some club members at each school to see if they can provide an opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if a good number of them were also faced with dual admits at Booth and CBS.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia (matriculating 2013), Booth (admitted), Wharton (WL)

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 13

Re: Tough choice: Booth and Columbia [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 14:40
Looks like the poll is strongly in favor with Booth. I much appreciate everyone who has voted.

I visited both schools, and I came out impressed. Student bodies are great. The only clear difference is that the Booth facilities are outstanding, whereas Uris is average. I spoke with a variety of people in my group and current students, it appears that the ties to Houston are perhaps stronger at Booth, and many Booth students argue that the school has an edge in finance related recruiting such as PE. I think the energy groups at both are strong, both have treks, but the feeling I got from the officers of the Booth club is that it is more active in trying to get placed into desired firms.

To complicate matters, I got a small fellowship from CBS. When speaking with Booth admissions I don't believe I am strongly considered or will receive any scholarship. Not that the money matters to me (it will be made up for long term) but it does make me feel a little bit more "wanted" per se at CBS. What are your thoughts?
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q41 V46
GMAT 2: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 56

Re: Tough choice: Booth and Columbia [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 16:36
neildiamond wrote:
Looks like the poll is strongly in favor with Booth. I much appreciate everyone who has voted.

I visited both schools, and I came out impressed. Student bodies are great. The only clear difference is that the Booth facilities are outstanding, whereas Uris is average. I spoke with a variety of people in my group and current students, it appears that the ties to Houston are perhaps stronger at Booth, and many Booth students argue that the school has an edge in finance related recruiting such as PE. I think the energy groups at both are strong, both have treks, but the feeling I got from the officers of the Booth club is that it is more active in trying to get placed into desired firms.

To complicate matters, I got a small fellowship from CBS. When speaking with Booth admissions I don't believe I am strongly considered or will receive any scholarship. Not that the money matters to me (it will be made up for long term) but it does make me feel a little bit more "wanted" per se at CBS. What are your thoughts?

First, CONGRATS on both Admits!

While I'm not comparing schools, you could probably find an insight or two in the thread on eskimoroll's quandary between Booth w/$$ and HBS. The thought process seems to be analogous.

I think you're right--money (especially considering your career plans) doesn't matter in the long run. And since you're (rightly) thinking long-term, my advice would be to go for the school which will be the best in helping you get to where you want to go down the road.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia 2013 (accepted)
WE 1: Marine Infantry Officer (4 yrs)
WE 2: Aerospace (2.5 yrs)

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: Tough choice: Booth and Columbia [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2011, 09:16
I think Booth vs Columbia comes down to Chicago vs New York. The differences in finance recruiting are marginal at best. You could make the case for CBS having better recruiting, you could make the case for Booth. That being said, if you want to make Manhattan your home post-grad, I think CBS is the clear winner. If saving cost on your final MBA bill is your priority, Booth is the winner.
Re: Tough choice: Booth and Columbia   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2011, 09:16