Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 22:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Got a 700 and need help!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Should I take the GMAT again?

• 37% [3]
  • 62% [5]
You may select 1 option
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Got a 700 and need help! [#permalink] New post 18 May 2004, 18:59
Hi,

I took my GMAT a few weeks ago and scored a 700 (V-34, M-50). My essay scores are yet to arrive. It was rather disappointing because, through my prep, I always scored between 720 (it was my diagnostic score) and 780.

I have an eight-month work experience and right now taking a break. I plan to apply for a course starting in Fall 2005 and hope to goto an Ivy League institution. So, what should I be doing? Taking the test again or trying to make a great application? Some suggest that the score is high enough (and might be I score lesser in a re-try, what would schools think of me) and I should be finding my next job. However, equally compelling are some others who suggest that I should take the test again in full vigor (because this surely wasn't my best attempt at the test).

I have experience in both marketing and research setups. First, in the research setup, I was responsible for the vertical development of a common car jack for the company's product range, and pre-lim test vehicle layout design in an auto major. I was part of a two-man team to market research, design and first-step validate the projects. Second, in the marketing setup, I was a dealer account manager for an another auto-major and my work involved managing complete marketing and sales activities for a certain product-line in rural and suburban areas. I had around 12 sales executives and a dealer manager under me. I initiated a CRM drive in the dealership, provided engineering inputs to the sales team, explored new segments and executed a new sales strategy for the dealer. In addition, market researched key account customers for developing products more in line with their needs. At school, I was a team leader for a university project and did a few research projects.

The situation has gotten me in a spot. A day before the test, a friend asked me, "What score would you loathe?" and I had replied, "700! Because I wouldn't know what to do next." And that's what has come true!

Hope to get the forum's perspective.

Best Regards,
Gaurav
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

[#permalink] New post 20 May 2004, 08:06
Personally I don't think its necessary for you to take the test again. If your applications are very good, then you have a good shot at any school.

On the other hand, taking the test again couldn't hurt. Most schools only look at your top score and disregard the other ones. There are only two reasons for not taking the test again: (1) You don't wanna spend an extra $225, and (2) You don't wanna deal with the emotional drain of taking another 3.5 hour test.

I say if you got $225 to throw away, take it again if u think u can do better, but if not, don't sweat it. Personally, with a 700, I would rather take that $225 that for the second test and go out and buy a PS2 or iPod.

Just my humble opinion.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Got a 700 and need help! [#permalink] New post 21 May 2004, 14:32
Expert's post
encyclo wrote:
Hi,

I took my GMAT a few weeks ago and scored a 700 (V-34, M-50). My essay scores are yet to arrive. It was rather disappointing because, through my prep, I always scored between 720 (it was my diagnostic score) and 780.

I have an eight-month work experience and right now taking a break. I plan to apply for a course starting in Fall 2005 and hope to goto an Ivy League institution. So, what should I be doing? Taking the test again or trying to make a great application? Some suggest that the score is high enough (and might be I score lesser in a re-try, what would schools think of me) and I should be finding my next job. However, equally compelling are some others who suggest that I should take the test again in full vigor (because this surely wasn't my best attempt at the test).

I have experience in both marketing and research setups. First, in the research setup, I was responsible for the vertical development of a common car jack for the company's product range, and pre-lim test vehicle layout design in an auto major. I was part of a two-man team to market research, design and first-step validate the projects. Second, in the marketing setup, I was a dealer account manager for an another auto-major and my work involved managing complete marketing and sales activities for a certain product-line in rural and suburban areas. I had around 12 sales executives and a dealer manager under me. I initiated a CRM drive in the dealership, provided engineering inputs to the sales team, explored new segments and executed a new sales strategy for the dealer. In addition, market researched key account customers for developing products more in line with their needs. At school, I was a team leader for a university project and did a few research projects.

The situation has gotten me in a spot. A day before the test, a friend asked me, "What score would you loathe?" and I had replied, "700! Because I wouldn't know what to do next." And that's what has come true!

Hope to get the forum's perspective.

Best Regards,
Gaurav

Gaurav,

First I want to apologize for my delayed response. I was out of town and then had a computer glitch destroy my response, unknown to me.

How were your undergrad grades? If your grades were below average and you are applying from the competitive Indian applicant pool, it might be a good idea to retake the GMAT if you want to go to top 10 schools. But if your grades were competitive and you studied at a known school, save your time and money. Then you definitely don't need to retake the GMAT.

Frankly, your work experience causes me more concern than your GMAT, especially if your grades were strong. No school is going to reject an applicant solely because of a 700. On the other hand inadequate or non-competitive work experience could be a fatal obstacle.

A couple of tips to make the most of your work experience:

1) Quantify the impact you have had. If you increased sales, by how much? If you managed something, how many people were under you? What kind of budget were you in charge of? What successes did you have?
2) Frankly, applying with only one year of experience under you belt, even if it is good experience, is tough. It is particularly difficult if you worked for a small, unknown firm. If you can move to a blue-chip, well-known firm your chances might improve.

I'd like to direct you to a few resources on our site:

MBA Application Advice for Younger Applicants
MBA Admissions: Application Advice for Indian Applicants

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

thanks, some more points on my profile [#permalink] New post 21 May 2004, 20:07
Linda,

Thanks for your insight. I thought of providing you some more details on my profile and hope to get some more insight from you.

I did my under-graduate degree in engineering from an institution that figures in the top-ten engineering institutes in the country, and passed with honours and a GPA of 3.9/4. Further, I have worked with two of India's largest auto-manufacturers (one for cars and the other for trucks). I have things like a 100% increase in sales over a two month period in a marketing role, responsible for a sales revenue of $250,000/month, bottom-up designing of a new vehicle layout, etc. So, if you would ask for recognized brand names- I have some of the choicest ones in India on my resume.

So, what do you think about my chances applying with a year's work experience and getting in a b-school with around 18 months of experience? I am a little puzzled as to how a school would see my application- they would read for what I did in the short while or just discount me thinking that I am too young or did the things above only for 8 months?

Would wait for your response...

Best Regards,
Gaurav
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: thanks, some more points on my profile [#permalink] New post 24 May 2004, 15:04
Expert's post
encyclo wrote:
Linda,

Thanks for your insight. I thought of providing you some more details on my profile and hope to get some more insight from you.

I did my under-graduate degree in engineering from an institution that figures in the top-ten engineering institutes in the country, and passed with honours and a GPA of 3.9/4. Further, I have worked with two of India's largest auto-manufacturers (one for cars and the other for trucks). I have things like a 100% increase in sales over a two month period in a marketing role, responsible for a sales revenue of $250,000/month, bottom-up designing of a new vehicle layout, etc. So, if you would ask for recognized brand names- I have some of the choicest ones in India on my resume.

So, what do you think about my chances applying with a year's work experience and getting in a b-school with around 18 months of experience? I am a little puzzled as to how a school would see my application- they would read for what I did in the short while or just discount me thinking that I am too young or did the things above only for 8 months?

Would wait for your response...

Best Regards,
Gaurav

GAurav,

Thank you for the additional information. It is certainly impressive. I think the way the school would look at your application may depend on the school. If it is more open to younger applicants then it very well may say, "Wow! This guy has done a lot in a short period of time." If the school really prefers more experienced applicants, it may say, "this guy looks good, but we'd rather accept him in year or two."

Aim for schools with lower average ages and years of experience that show they admitted at least a few applicants with less than two years of experience. (Chicago immediately comes to mind. You should also look into Michgan because of its ties to Detroit.) Many school provide this data on their web site, but BW definitely provides it for all the top schools.

Good luck!

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog