Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 11:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Virtual Quest for 750 Sentence Correction example question

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 33 [1] , given: 0

Virtual Quest for 750 Sentence Correction example question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 02:27
This post received
KUDOS
I found this one on the MGMAT website. It is an example of the kind of Sentence Correction Question that will be covered during the 750 SC class.

I do not completely agree with their answer. Let's discuss and I will post the OA.

Examples of "tulipomania," a term coined from the tulip craze of the seventeenth-century in the Netherlands, include speculative bubbles in South Seas trading rights in the 1720s, Victorian real estate in the 1880s, the U.S. stock market in the 1920s, and the obsession for Beanie Babies in the 1990s.

A. Examples of "tulipomania," a term coined from the tulip craze of the seventeenth-century in the Netherlands, include speculative bubbles in South Seas trading rights in the 1720s, Victorian real estate in the 1880s, the U.S. stock market in the 1920s, and

B. Examples of "tulipomania," a term coined from the seventeenth-century tulip craze in the Netherlands, include speculative bubbles in South Seas trading rights in the 1720s, Victorian real estate in the 1880s, and the U.S. stock market in the 1920s, as well as

C. Coined from the seventeenth-century tulip craze in the Netherlands, examples of "tulipomania" include speculative bubbles in South Seas trading rights in the 1720s, Victorian real estate in the 1880s, and the U.S. stock market in the 1920s, as well as

D. Coined from the seventeenth-century tulip craze in the Netherlands, "tulipomania" includes examples such as speculative bubbles in South Seas trading rights in the 1720s, Victorian real estate in the 1880s, the U.S. stock market in the 1920s, and

E. "Tulipomania," coined from the seventeenth-century tulip craze in the Netherlands, included speculative bubbles in South Seas trading rights in the 1720s, Victorian real estate in the 1880s, the U.S. stock market in the 1920s, and
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 0

Re: Virtual Quest for 750 Sentence Correction example question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 02:55
Is it B. Somehow ", and" doesn't look right to me in A.
VP
VP
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 127 [0], given: 0

Re: Virtual Quest for 750 Sentence Correction example question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 03:29
A seems to be the best choice to me. Lets see wht others have to say.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 443 [0], given: 210

Re: Virtual Quest for 750 Sentence Correction example question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 03:34
Nothing wrong with A. It seems to be structured best :

Examples of tulipmania, ...... , include a , b , c and .....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Re: Virtual Quest for 750 Sentence Correction example question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 03:41
aaron22197 wrote:
I found this one on the MGMAT website. It is an example of the kind of Sentence Correction Question that will be covered during the 750 SC class.

I do not completely agree with their answer. Let's discuss and I will post the OA.

Examples of "tulipomania," a term coined from the tulip craze of the seventeenth-century in the Netherlands, include speculative bubbles in South Seas trading rights in the 1720s, Victorian real estate in the 1880s, the U.S. stock market in the 1920s, and the obsession for Beanie Babies in the 1990s.

A. Examples of "tulipomania," a term coined from the tulip craze of the seventeenth-century in the Netherlands, include speculative bubbles in South Seas trading rights in the 1720s, Victorian real estate in the 1880s, the U.S. stock market in the 1920s, and

B. Examples of "tulipomania," a term coined from the seventeenth-century tulip craze in the Netherlands, include speculative bubbles in South Seas trading rights in the 1720s, Victorian real estate in the 1880s, and the U.S. stock market in the 1920s, as well as

C. Coined from the seventeenth-century tulip craze in the Netherlands, examples of "tulipomania" include speculative bubbles in South Seas trading rights in the 1720s, Victorian real estate in the 1880s, and the U.S. stock market in the 1920s, as well as

D. Coined from the seventeenth-century tulip craze in the Netherlands, "tulipomania" includes examples such as speculative bubbles in South Seas trading rights in the 1720s, Victorian real estate in the 1880s, the U.S. stock market in the 1920s, and

E. "Tulipomania," coined from the seventeenth-century tulip craze in the Netherlands, included speculative bubbles in South Seas trading rights in the 1720s, Victorian real estate in the 1880s, the U.S. stock market in the 1920s, and

Is D the answer on this one
Kudos to the poster. very tricky question

The world is continuous, but the mind is discrete

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Re: Virtual Quest for 750 Sentence Correction example question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 04:34
Agree, answer D. "term coined from tulip....." modifies "Examples of "tulipomania"" (where as it should modify only "tulipomania"). D corrects this error. I also like the use of "such as" to illustrate "examples". "and" is the right conjunction to complete the sentence.

However, one can never be sure of these 750 types question. Would love to see the OA :)
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 2

Re: Virtual Quest for 750 Sentence Correction example question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 07:14
The answer cannot be D ..

If anything I feel B is the correct choice as it setsup the Parallelism properly, if you notices obsessions with beenie babies is not parralel with other choices, i.e trading bubbles of south seas, victorian real-estate blah blah..

we have to use as well as to break the flow of ||ism..

I can gurantee you B is the correct ans choice..

please post OE...i cannot possibly for the light of it think D is correct!

I will put my money where my ans choice is :)
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 440 [0], given: 32

Re: Virtual Quest for 750 Sentence Correction example question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 07:30
I answer A. Reasons against in Red, Reason for in Blue.

aaron22197 wrote:

Proper verb tense, "include" with plural "examples". The items in a series are fine. There are not parallel issues as each item is listed properly in the series. Finally, the list is completed nicely with the use of ", and" rather than ", and" combined with "as well as".
I don't like the use of "...and the U.S. stock market..." with "...as well as...". This seems redundant to me. If they are items in a list or series, keep the series going with the comma and then use "as well as" or "and" with the last item in the series.
This changes the wording in the first phrase, which is proper grammar too, but doesn't change the use of "and" with "as well as" from answer B. This is incorrect too.
"tulipomania" includes....um...no it doesn't. A thing cannot include examples of anything unless it is a book. There can be examples of something, but the thing itself will not include examples of anything. This just doesn't make sense to me.
"included" is past tense. This implies the current meaning is different than it used to be. Furthermore, the statement "included speculative...[continue series here]" means that it actually included all of these things, rather than examples of Tulipomania are the things in the series. This changes the meaning of the sentence and isn't correct.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Re: Virtual Quest for 750 Sentence Correction example question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 08:17
Nice effort by everyone.

B wins. OA is B.

I chose A. Y is A incorrect?
Director
Director

Re: Virtual Quest for 750 Sentence Correction example question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 08:24
durgesh79 wrote:
Is it B. Somehow ", and" doesn't look right to me in A.

Told ya !!!! 8-). feels good to answer a 750 + question correct.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 440 [0], given: 32

Re: Virtual Quest for 750 Sentence Correction example question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 08:38
Post the OE for this one too.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director

Re: Virtual Quest for 750 Sentence Correction example question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 09:08
Honestly, mine was a fluke, B just sounded right to me but after reading jallenmorris' explanation. I'm for A. appreciate if someone can explain B, Good question.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Virtual Quest for 750 Sentence Correction example question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 15:24
Looking foward the OE here.
I can't understand what can be wrong in A
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Virtual Quest for 750 Sentence Correction example question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 15:36
I thought it was A too. Didn't like B for same reason jallenmorris gave.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 2

Re: Virtual Quest for 750 Sentence Correction example question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 15:48
A is not prallel
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 4

Re: Virtual Quest for 750 Sentence Correction example question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 16:49
Quote:

I also chose B. My attempt to find explanation:

Looks like two parallel constructions are present there:

First is the list of ‘bubbles’:

Bubbles in South Seas trading rights, (bubbles in) Victorian real estate, and (bubbles in) the U.S. stock market. So, clearly, we need 'and' before the last one in the list.

Second parallelism is 'bubbles ... and obsession':

… include speculative bubbles… as well as the obsession…

So, following this logic, we have:

A. Examples of "tulipomania," a term coined from the tulip craze of the seventeenth-century in the Netherlands, include speculative bubbles in South Seas trading rights in the 1720s, Victorian real estate in the 1880s, the U.S. stock market in the 1920s, and (wrong – missed ‘and’ in the list of bubbles)

B. Examples of "tulipomania," a term coined from the seventeenth-century tulip craze in the Netherlands, include speculative bubbles in South Seas trading rights in the 1720s, Victorian real estate in the 1880s, and the U.S. stock market in the 1920s, as well as (good)

C. Coined from the seventeenth-century tulip craze in the Netherlands, examples of "tulipomania" include speculative bubbles in South Seas trading rights in the 1720s, Victorian real estate in the 1880s, and the U.S. stock market in the 1920s, as well as (‘coined from’ wrongly modifies ‘examples’)

D. Coined from the seventeenth-century tulip craze in the Netherlands, "tulipomania" includes examples such as speculative bubbles in South Seas trading rights in the 1720s, Victorian real estate in the 1880s, the U.S. stock market in the 1920s, and (wrong – missed ‘and’ in the list of bubbles)

E. "Tulipomania," coined from the seventeenth-century tulip craze in the Netherlands, included speculative bubbles in South Seas trading rights in the 1720s, Victorian real estate in the 1880s, the U.S. stock market in the 1920s, and (wrong – missed ‘and’ in the list of bubbles)

What is OE?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 2

Re: Virtual Quest for 750 Sentence Correction example question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 16:53
aaron22197 wrote:

Modifier issue.

Altered Intent + Redundancy
1: "tulipomania" includes - altered intent. Examples of 'T' include NOT 'T' includes.
2: 'examples such as' is not necessary.

Remove the stuff between the two commas and read the first line..
"Tulipomania", ....., included A, B, and C.
Again altered intent. Examples of "Tulipomania" include NOT "Tulipomania" itself.
B wins!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago R2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Virtual Quest for 750 Sentence Correction example question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 17:37
I chosen B. I don't think that A vs B due to ||. IMO I prefered B because I don't like "tulip craze of the seventeenth-century". I'd say, "tulip craze in seventeenth century in the Netherlands". B is the same as A except "of the seventeenth-century".
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

Re: Virtual Quest for 750 Sentence Correction example question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 18:45
Sorry guys. I don't have the OE on this. I haven't enrolled into the class. I just found the example on MGMAT website and thought I should share it with everyone.

There is really not much difference between A and B. The only possible explanation that makes sense is the one by fresinha.

fresinha12 wrote:
The answer cannot be D ..

If anything I feel B is the correct choice as it setsup the Parallelism properly, if you notices obsessions with beenie babies is not parralel with other choices, i.e trading bubbles of south seas, victorian real-estate blah blah..
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Virtual Quest for 750 Sentence Correction example question [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2008, 18:54
A is the correct answer
Re: Virtual Quest for 750 Sentence Correction example question   [#permalink] 11 Jun 2008, 18:54