Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 04:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Visby is the largest city on the Swedish island of Gotland;

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 58

Re: SC swedish island [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2011, 17:58
tenaman10 wrote:
Visby is the largest city on the Swedish island of Gotland; arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, and has become a World Heritage Site.

(A) arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, and has become a World Heritage Site.
-->with the ; the second part has to be a complete sentence...there is no subject..bye bye
(B) it is arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, and, as a result of this, has become a World Heritage Site.
-->looks very awkward.. going with gut ..eliminate
(C) arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, it has become a World Heritage Site.
-->complete sentence but i eliminated because I thought D was clearer with the subject at the front of the sentence :/
(D) it has become a World Heritage Site, and arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia.
(E) is arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, a World Heritage Site.
-->same as A .. eliminate

I chose D but after reading the thread I'm not sure now. Since it is not an OG problem I'm not going to worry about it that much.

I'm trying to not just answer the problem but to explain how I came up with my answer. If I am incorrect or you have a better method please PM me your thoughts. Thanks!

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 1549 [0], given: 248

Re: SC swedish island [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2011, 09:18
Expert's post
It is accepted that what follows the semi-colon should be a somewhat related clause and should be a full fledged one with it is own subject and verb.

A. arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, and has become a World Heritage Site……. Lacks subject- hence wrong

B. it is arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, and, as a result of this, has become a World Heritage Site. ….. It may be grammatically correct but the expression 'as a result of this' is not intended in the original. Ther is no cause and effect relationship between the two factors; the intent is distorted and hence wrong.

C. arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, it has become a World Heritage Site. …..Many might think that this is not a full clause. Sorry! The second part is a full fledged clause with the participial modifier ‘arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia’ modifying the clause starting with ‘it has become’. Right Choice

D. it has become a World Heritage Site, and arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia. ….. Grammatically wrong. There is no proper subject for the second part of the clause that follows the conjunction ‘and’. It can not take ‘it has become’ as the elliptical subject and verb. Such an assumption renders the clause meaningless.

E. is arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, a World Heritage Site. ……. Lacks a subject. Secondly ‘a World Heritage Site’ modifies Scandinavia.

C is the most precise and structurally correct choice

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC swedish island [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 07:35
Daagh - are you saying in C "it" is the subject?

if yes what type of subject is this? :shock:
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 1549 [0], given: 248

Re: SC swedish island [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 08:07
Expert's post
@amma4u: Normally haven’t we seen in two part sentences a pronoun standing for the subject of the first part? In this case, the pronoun 'it' stands for Visby, the subject of the first clause.

But then, I just don't know what exactly you mean by asking for the type of the pronoun. The word 'it' is just an ordinary third person singular pronoun. But certainly it is not expletive in the given context.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Nationality: Indian
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q V0
GPA: 3.36
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: SC swedish island [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2011, 12:12
It has to be C) since the part after the ; has to be a complete clause. "It" is correctly referring to the subject of the previous clause and the modifier "arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, " correctly modifies the aforementioned pronoun.

PS:Paging mods to correct the original post for the OA.

You have to have a darkness...for the dawn to come.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Visby is the largest city on the Swedish island of Gotland; [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2012, 05:39
Im thinking D and my line of thinking is as follows.
Firstly when you see a semi-colon the phraze on the other side of the semi colon must be a full and complete sentence.

If you use the subject(or subject pronoun) + verb + object to see when a phraze is complete , this will eliminate A , C and E as they have no pronoun referrent .
Between B and D, B is wordy and the well-preservedness implying a world heritage site was not intended in the original sentence.
Hence D.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Visby is the largest city on the Swedish island of Gotland; [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2012, 17:33
does someone post the right answer? why is there OA as C and D? what's the source?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Visby is the largest city on the Swedish island of Gotland; [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2012, 21:15
still not understanding why this is "d" instead of "c."

the only way i can see it being "d" is if ", and" is actually a phrase/modifier rather than a clause.

i'm not a huge fan of choosing sentences because one is more "wordy" than the other.
to me, that's encouraging lazy test taking practices.

GOAL: 7xx

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Visby is the largest city on the Swedish island of Gotland; [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2012, 22:56
A quick question on C.

1) In this sentence, does the pronoun "it" clearly refer back to Visby? If you look at the closest noun, it appears to refer to the island which is WRONG.
2) Also does an "it" after the semicolon refer to the subject (the town) or the object (the island) in the former sentence?

B is wrong because it confuses us to thinking it became a world heritage site because of the preserving. The author's intent was that preservation occurred after it became a world heritage site.

A and E are wrong because its not a full sentence.

Would appreciate some expert clarification on C and D?
Also author, what is the source? 1000 SC can't really be trusted as a good source.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Visby is the largest city on the Swedish island of Gotland; [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2012, 23:21
mourinhogmat1 wrote:
A quick question on C.

1) In this sentence, does the pronoun "it" clearly refer back to Visby? If you look at the closest noun, it appears to refer to the island which is WRONG.
2) Also does an "it" after the semicolon refer to the subject (the town) or the object (the island) in the former sentence?

B is wrong because it confuses us to thinking it became a world heritage site because of the preserving. The author's intent was that preservation occurred after it became a world heritage site.

A and E are wrong because its not a full sentence.

Would appreciate some expert clarification on C and D?
Also author, what is the source? 1000 SC can't really be trusted as a good source.

Pronoun ambiguity is an area to focus on in an SC problem only if at least one of the choices replaces the pronoun with a corresponding noun. Otherwise , pronoun ambiguity is permissible.

Crick
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Visby is the largest city on the Swedish island of Gotland; [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2012, 08:52
I would have chosen C. Does the comma before "and" make a separation between both statements? Otherwise, I would have understood that it has become: a) a World Heritage Site and b) arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia. To me it simply sounds wrong, a town is either the best-preserved or it isn't, it doesn't suddenly become it.

(Can't explain it though, still haven't started revising for the exam).

C. arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, it has become a World Heritage Site.

D. it has become a World Heritage Site, and arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT Date: 10-17-2013
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 22

Re: Visby is the largest city on the Swedish island of Gotland; [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2012, 22:50
Answer is D.

(A) arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, and has become a World Heritage Site.
Quote:
After semicolon you can not use dependent clause so this reason cancels choice A,C,E

(B) it is arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, and, as a result of this, has become a World Heritage Site.
Quote:
Look at the meaning, it says because it is best preserved that's why it is world heritage site. However the correct reason should be just opposite and that is because it is world heritage site that's why it is best preserved.

(C) arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, it has become a World Heritage Site.
(D) it has become a World Heritage Site, and arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia.
Quote:
Correct Ans

(E) is arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, a World Heritage Site.

Thanks & Regards
Yodee

‘A good plan violently executed now is better than a
perfect plan executed next week.’

- General Georg S. Patton

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Visby is the largest city on the Swedish island of Gotland; [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2012, 23:25
The correct answer is C. After "Scandinavia, " it should follow which implies Visby.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 20

Re: SC swedish island [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2012, 07:40
gmatpill wrote:
With (D), you don't need the comma before "and"----if you use a comma, then there needs to be a subject on the right side of the comma. --seems IFFY

can anybody explain me what is IFFY?

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: Visby is the largest city on the Swedish island of Gotland; [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2012, 01:16
err...so is the answer C or D??? I think C....D doesnt make sense....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 16

Reviews Badge
Re: Visby is the largest city on the Swedish island of Gotland; [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2012, 03:58
+ 1 B

But took over a minute to get this one right. Was stuck between B & C

Giving +1 kudos is a better way of saying 'Thank You'.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: UCSD (D)
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GPA: 2.99

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Visby is the largest city on the Swedish island of Gotland; [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2012, 22:23
Great Question Thank You! thanks for the explanation GMATPill
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

Re: Visby is the largest city on the Swedish island of Gotland; [#permalink] New post 01 May 2012, 08:10
The only two independent clauses are B and D. Although D seem to be OA and B seems to be a bit wordy, D is illogical! No way the city has become a world heritage site and the best preserved town - in that order. Therefore B!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 6

Re: Visby is the largest city on the Swedish island of Gotland; [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 05:49
D is not correct. The conjunction "AND" introduces an element of equality/parallelism between two or more items; in other words, "AND" simply connects two or more similar ideas or concepts. In D "and" is 'connecting' an entire clause with a mere adjective phrase/modifier.

OA is wrong in choosing D. The correct answer is C. In C, "It" is correctly modified by the preceding modifier "arguably the best...."

Please note that mastering the use of "AND" can really make sentence correction straightforward. One of Ron's videos does a good job at explaining the "AND" concept. Do check it out.

March 15, 2012:
The Use of "AND" as a Connector
http://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm

Hope you find this useful.

Regards,
Der alte Fritz.

Posted from my mobile device Image

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 14

Re: Visby is the largest city on the Swedish island of Gotland; [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 10:34
Visby is the largest city on the Swedish island of Gotland; arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, and has become a World Heritage Site.

(A) arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, and has become a World Heritage Site. Not an independant clause
(B) it is arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, and, as a result of this, has become a World Heritage Site. Lacks parallelism
(C) arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, it has become a World Heritage Site. same as A
(D) it has become a World Heritage Site, and arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia. Correct
(E) is arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, a World Heritage Site. Changes meaning. Scandinavia is not a world heritage site!
Re: Visby is the largest city on the Swedish island of Gotland;   [#permalink] 19 Feb 2013, 10:34