Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 03:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Visby is the largest city on the Swedish island of Gotland;

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 47 [1] , given: 7

Visby is the largest city on the Swedish island of Gotland; [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2009, 07:39
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

32% (01:53) correct 68% (00:48) wrong based on 520 sessions
Visby is the largest city on the Swedish island of Gotland; arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, and has become a World Heritage Site.

(A) arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, and has become a World Heritage Site.
(B) it is arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, and, as a result of this, has become a World Heritage Site.
(C) arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, it has become a World Heritage Site.
(D) it has become a World Heritage Site, and arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia.
(E) is arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, a World Heritage Site.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

"CEO in making"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

Re: SC swedish island [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2009, 08:03
Please, underline the appropriate part

Thanks!

IMO D

OA and Source?

Cheers

Last edited by JohnLewis1980 on 08 Mar 2009, 01:02, edited 1 time in total.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 512 [0], given: 19

Re: SC swedish island [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2009, 09:39
tenaman10 wrote:
Visby is the largest city on the Swedish island of Gotland; arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, and has become a World Heritage Site.

A. arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, and has become a World Heritage Site.
B. it is arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, and, as a result of this, has become a World Heritage Site.
C. arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, it has become a World Heritage Site.
D. it has become a World Heritage Site, and arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia.
E. is arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, a World Heritage Site.

B.
Need two independent clasus. So A/E are out. C is run-on.
So remains B and D. I prefer B over D as B provides causal/logical relation that D misses.

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 7

Re: SC swedish island [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2009, 00:32
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

Re: SC swedish island [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2009, 09:35
botirvoy wrote:

for the other mates: OA is D

Cheers

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 620 Q V0
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: SC swedish island [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 07:30
In my view, it's C, though it's more of intuition. A&E are obviously out as omitting the subject, D has strange forming, and B has unnecessary rich wording :P
Expert Post
7 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 294

Kudos [?]: 693 [7] , given: 6

Re: SC swedish island [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 12:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Quote:

A. arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, and has become a World Heritage Site.
B. it is arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, and, as a result of this, has become a World Heritage Site.
C. arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, it has become a World Heritage Site.
D. it has become a World Heritage Site, and arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia.
E. is arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, a World Heritage Site.

The answer is C. The person who posted the OA as D did it by mistake--according to another source...

Here's my recommended approach to this question:
Step 1: Scan the sentence and notice a semi colon that is NOT part of the underlined portion of the sentence. That means the underlined portion must read just like a full regular sentence.

Step 2: So now that we pretend the entire first part of the sentence before the semicolon is not there---we notice that the underlined portion does not make sense. "Arguably...., " is the phrase that should describe the subject on the other side of the comma. Instead, we have "and has become..."--which does not make sense in A.

Step 3: Eliminate A and look at other alternatives in the answer choices.

With (B), it's quite wordy "and, as a result of this..."---NOT GOOD

With (C), "arguably" describes the word next to the comma "it"--so that makes sense. seems OK

With (D), you don't need the comma before "and"----if you use a comma, then there needs to be a subject on the right side of the comma. --seems IFFY

With (E), where's the subject? It starts with "is"--which does not make sense. Remember the underlined portion should read as a complete sentence so it cannot start with "is"---NOT GOOD

Step 4: Only answer choice (C) makes sense. Read it again..does it make sense as a sentence by itself?

"Arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, it has become a World Heritage Site."

It's OK to have "it" refer back to the portion on the other side of the semicolon way back in the beginning.

You can also reread it like this:
"Arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, [Visby] has become a World Heritage Site."

:-D Choose C and move on! :-D

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 5

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC swedish island [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 11:01
When seperated with ; both part of sentence requires two independent clause with sub and verb only choice B & D satisfies this criteria
between b & d I chose D as it is concise and better than B

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: SC swedish island [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 14:43

(A) arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, and has become a World Heritage Site.
(B) it is arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, and, as a result of this, has become a World Heritage Site.
(C) arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, it has become a World Heritage Site.
(D) it has become a World Heritage Site, and arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia.
(E) is arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, a World Heritage Site.

IMO C.

A> is the largest and best preserved and has become - doubtful construction
B> lengthy
C> short and concise
D> "it has become" modifies the best preserved medieval town too?
E> world heritage site modifies - Scandinavia?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Reviews Badge
Re: SC swedish island [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 19:17
I have no idea how D could be write....that must be incorrect.

In my opinion, B or C and more likely C due to concision.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: SC swedish island [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 19:23
gmatpill wrote:
Quote:

The answer is C. The person who posted the OA as D did it by mistake--according to another source...

Step 1: Scan the sentence and notice a semi colon that is NOT part of the underlined portion of the sentence. That means the underlined portion must read just like a full regular sentence.

Step 2: So now that we pretend the entire first part of the sentence before the semicolon is not there---we notice that the underlined portion does not make sense. "Arguably...., " is the phrase that should describe the subject on the other side of the comma. Instead, we have "and has become..."--which does not make sense in A.

With (C), "arguably" describes the word next to the comma "it"--so that makes sense. seems OK

With (D), you don't need the comma before "and"----if you use a comma, then there needs to be a subject on the right side of the comma. --seems IFFY

With (E), where's the subject? It starts with "is"--which does not make sense. Remember the underlined portion should read as a complete sentence so it cannot start with "is"---NOT GOOD

Step 4: Only answer choice (C) makes sense. Read it again..does it make sense as a sentence by itself?

"Arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, it has become a World Heritage Site."

It's OK to have "it" refer back to the portion on the other side of the semicolon way back in the beginning.

"Arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, [Visby] has become a World Heritage Site."

My understading when we use semi-colon then the two clauses separated by semicolon should be independent. The option C does not allow this. Therefore option C can not be the best option.

Only B and D satisfies the condition above. In case of B there is un-necessary extra wordings and commas before and after 'and' hence eliminated.

We can safely go ahead with D.

Any other views?
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 294

Kudos [?]: 693 [0], given: 6

Re: SC swedish island [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 08:34
Expert's post
shivganar wrote:
gmatpill wrote:
Quote:

My understading when we use semi-colon then the two clauses separated by semicolon should be independent. The option C does not allow this. Therefore option C can not be the best option.

Only B and D satisfies the condition above. In case of B there is un-necessary extra wordings and commas before and after 'and' hence eliminated.

We can safely go ahead with D.

Any other views?

shivganar,
With semicolons, you should be able to read both sides separately and they should still make sense. Look carefully at (C) and reassess:

Ask yourself: Does this sound like a complete sentence? You should arrive at: YES
The structure is "[Phrase], [Main Sentence]"
The main sentence = "Visby has become a World Heritage Site." ---makes sense.
The phrase: "Arugably the best preserved medieval town in Scandinavia"---correctly describes "Visby"
So why wouldn't this read like an "independent clause"?

(C) is fine. Do you see this?

With (D), can you explain why there is a comma before the "and"? How can you justify that when the words to the right of the word "and" only make up a phrase?

(C) is the best answer.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Reviews Badge
Re: SC swedish island [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 11:38
Wow...I mean to spell "right" not "write"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 25

Re: SC swedish island [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 12:25
I completely agree with gmatpill. Answer is C. 1000 series OA is C.

Cheers,
SD

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 11

Re: SC swedish island [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 03:50
b/w C and D

"arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, it has become a World Heritage Site."

"it has become a World Heritage Site, and arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia."

if you had a choice of choosing the better sentence of the above which one do u choose, its boils down to that?

I recon D is right.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mellon, USC, MIT, UCLA, NSCU
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 10

Re: SC swedish island [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 16:58
I prefer C. Logically, preservation lends to World Heritage site designation. I'll review it again to learn more for SC success.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Reward wisdom with kudos. ;)

Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS 2+2
WE 1: Consulting
WE 2: Investment Management

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 7

Re: SC swedish island [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2010, 20:51
I said C, but perhaps, because the answer has a dependent clause ("arguably...") followed by an independent clause ("it..."), the meaning of the sentence is distorted. Choosing "C" implies that the city was chosen as a World Heritage site because it has been so well preserved, whereas the original just states two facts.

Any thoughts? (Again, this is just my take and I'm no English scholar!)

My GMAT quest...

...over!

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 299 [0], given: 36

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: SC swedish island [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 05:41
Answer is D, because a ";" separates two equivalent sentences/clauses.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 32

Re: SC swedish island [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 12:28
misterchipper wrote:
I have no idea how D could be write....that must be incorrect.

In my opinion, B or C and more likely C due to concision.

A. arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, and has become a World Heritage Site. [it is absence of seperate subject]
B. it is arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, and, as a result of this, has become a World Heritage Site. [this is unnecessarily wordy]
C. arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, it has become a World Heritage Site. [Why the cith is preserved? because the city has become world heritage. So world heritage is to be placed first.]
D. it has become a World Heritage Site, and arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia. [Right]
E. is arguably the best-preserved medieval town in Scandinavia, a World Heritage Site. [same as A]

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 13

Re: SC swedish island [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2011, 22:56
IMO C.
I think we await an expert opinion here :)
Re: SC swedish island   [#permalink] 15 Feb 2011, 22:56