Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 23:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Visit or not

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Visit or not [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2008, 15:52
Hello all,

I am based in Europe and plan to apply to US schools in next R1. I'm wondering whether visiting schools in the US would be positive for my applications: state the school visit in essay, name of the people/faculty I will have met, etc.. That sounds good commitment, but does it really improve chances of getting in?

I know it's always useful to get a good sense of the campus/students/faculty, but I could do that once accepted (if accepted of course).

Your views?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Visit or not [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2008, 16:54
hi lumone. This topic has been discussed before, but here is my short take on it:

Some schools value (almost require) visits for you to even have a chance of getting in, because they are often used as top candidates as a "safety" school. Therefore, for those schools, you'll need to visit and talk about it in detail in your essays or on the application. Schools off the top of my head like this are:

Haas, UCLA Anderson, NYU Stern, Cornell, Duke Fuqua, maybe Tuck and Ross. (I don't know about Darden and Yale)

Other schools value a visit, but people have gotten in without visiting at all. Going to visit will definitely help your case, but not visiting will NOT hurt.

Kellogg, Chicago, MIT, Columbia.

The Harvard, Stanford, and Whartons probably don't care if you visit or not. Some people have mentioned that Harvard didn't even have visiting programs set up for R1 applicants, but I could be easily wrong. Stanford has a visiting program, but I'm not sure they care at all if you visit, since their acceptance rate is so low, and they generally go for the "wow" type candidates. Wharton I'm not sure, so I won't say much about it.

Hope that helps!

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Attending Stanford
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Visit or not [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2008, 17:16
kryzak wrote:
The Harvard, Stanford, and Whartons probably don't care if you visit or not. Some people have mentioned that Harvard didn't even have visiting programs set up for R1 applicants, but I could be easily wrong. Stanford has a visiting program, but I'm not sure they care at all if you visit, since their acceptance rate is so low, and they generally go for the "wow" type candidates. Wharton I'm not sure, so I won't say much about it.

Hope that helps!

Agree with what Kryzak's written above, just wanted to expand on H and W.

HBS doesn't correlate visit info with your app at all. And yep, HBS didn't even start official visits until after the R1 deadline. Remember, this is the application that doesn't even ask, "Why MBA?" or "Why HBS?"

Wharton doesn't correlate the visit with the application either. Plenty of people get in without a visit. The visit might help you explain "Why Wharton" though.
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Visit or not [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2008, 17:22
I would like to add that being International, you will get some leeway for not visiting. Some people just can't make the time or afford to fly to the USA to visit schools. In which case conacting students electronically or if you know any alumni is worth doing.

I didn't visit any of the schools i applied to (except Singapore, but that was after i applied). I don't think they will hold it against you unless the school is easy for you to get to, then you have no excuses for not visiting.

If you can't visit, the alternatives is to go to an MBA fair. Then you can talk with their 'marketing' people and some schools will also have recent alumni present for you to ask questions.
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Visit or not [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2008, 18:15
I think there are plenty of students who don't visit until the interview -- you didn't get to use the visit to enrich your essays, but you will get to see the school and get that "visited" check in your file, for those schools that do keep track.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross 2010
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Visit or not [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2008, 18:32
I would say that because you are international you can probably get away with not visiting much more than a domestic applicant. There are, however, certain schools such as Tuck that really place a huge emphasis on visiting because of their specific fit and the remote location (in Tuck's case). If you are applying to Tuck and can afford it I think visiting would be a huge plus. However, since you are international it is certainly not mandatory. I definately think you should visit the school you plan to attend before choosing which school to attend though. You are spending too much money to choose a school without even seeing the campus. You'd be surprised how much you can gain just from the vibe you get at a school.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Visit or not [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2008, 06:23
Hello there,

Thank you guys for your answers.

The schools that I'm considering are from the M7 cluster. So what I understand from your answers is that I'll be okay with not visiting.

However, I am likely to follow aaudetat's advice: have on campus interviews.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 692 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Visit or not [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2008, 06:28
I think it varies by school and the distance you are from them. If you can afford it and are close enough then visiting is always a plus. Its not going to make or break a decision but it definitely makes it easier to get material for essays. If you live close by and dont visit then it definitely could be a negative.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 333 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Visit or not [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2008, 07:17
you are right lumone. Just schedule an on campus interview, contact students from the club websites and mention a couple things in your essays and you'll be fine!

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Visit or not [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2008, 10:03
riverripper wrote:
I think it varies by school and the distance you are from them. If you can afford it and are close enough then visiting is always a plus. Its not going to make or break a decision but it definitely makes it easier to get material for essays. If you live close by and dont visit then it definitely could be a negative.

The way I see it: I'm based in Europe. If vital for my applications, I would take a week off and visit schools that are in the same region (NY, Boston, Philadelphia for instance or SF/LA). But if it does not hurt not to go, I'd rather do something else with my vacation.

However, I have visited 2 schools that I'm interested in in Europe: HEC Paris and INSEAD.
Re: Visit or not   [#permalink] 13 Jan 2008, 10:03