Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 17:56

Going on right now!

Live Q&A Session with HKU Admissions Team | Join the chat room to participate.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Visitors to the park have often looked up into the leafy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS '16, Stanford '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 16

Visitors to the park have often looked up into the leafy [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 17:46
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

68% (01:27) correct 32% (00:44) wrong based on 85 sessions
Visitors to the park have often looked up into the leafy canopy and saw monkeys sleeping on the branches, whose arms and legs hang like socks on a clothesline.

(A) saw monkeys sleeping on the branches, whose arms and legs hang
(B) saw monkeys sleeping on the branches, whose arms and legs were hanging
(C) saw monkeys sleeping on the branches, with arms and legs hanging
(D) seen monkeys sleeping on the branches, with arms and legs hanging
(E) seen monkeys sleeping on the branches, whose arms and legs have hung

I have two doubts in this question:
1) According to the OE, "whose" modifies "branches". However, in other official questions I have seen that sometimes the clause modifier doesn't modify the closest noun. Actually, it can modify the main noun in a noun phrase as long as it makes sense and it is not ambiguous.
In this case, we have "monkeys sleeping on the branches, whose..."; "monkeys" is the main noun of that noun phrase and makes sense with "arms and legs hang like socks on a clothesline".
So, my question is: Is the split "whose....", a good reason to eliminate some choices?

2) What are the rules related to a prepositional phrase after a comma? In this question: "..., with arms and legs hanging". How could we know that the prepositional phrase refers to the monkeys and not the visitors. Because these modifiers modify the entire clause, usually modifies the subject (visitors).

Thanks!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q28 V38
GPA: 2.54
WE: Accounting (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Visitors to the park have often looked up into the leafy can [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 21:03
danzig wrote:
Visitors to the park have often looked up into the leafy canopy and saw monkeys sleeping on the branches, whose arms and legs hang like socks on a clothesline.

I have two doubts in this question:
1) According to the OE, "whose" modifies "branches". However, in other official questions I have seen that sometimes the clause modifier doesn't modify the closest noun. Actually, it can modify the main noun in a noun phrase as long as it makes sense and it is not ambiguous.
In this case, we have "monkeys sleeping on the branches, whose..."; "monkeys" is the main noun of that noun phrase and makes sense with "arms and legs hang like socks on a clothesline".
So, my question is: Is the split "whose....", a good reason to eliminate some choices?

2) What are the rules related to a prepositional phrase after a comma? In this question: "..., with arms and legs hanging". How could we know that the prepositional phrase refers to the monkeys and not the visitors. Because these modifiers modify the entire clause, usually modifies the subject (visitors).

Thanks!

On the GMAT I think whose can only refer to people, and not animals. Saw can be eliminated because it causes a conflict in tense. Basically if the visitors saw a monkey the next set of customers may not see the same monkeys hanging on trees. And the action is ongoing because the continually have people coming and noticing the same as the last group.

So A, B, and E can be eliminated because whose is not referring to a person. A, B and C can be eliminated because it
changes the meaning of the sentence in terms of tenses.

D is only one left

4/28 GMATPrep 42Q 36V 640

BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 110

Kudos [?]: 486 [0], given: 384

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Visitors to the park have often looked up into the leafy can [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 22:31

Whose cannot modify animals
saw is not the right tense used because the tense should be parallel to have often looked up
Correct

Now regarding your doubts:

The answer choice containing whose can simply be eliminated, because on the GMAT, whose can only modify people and here it seems to modify monkeys.

normally a prepositional phrase can be placed anywhere, but generally it is placed closest to the noun being modified, in this case the monkeys.

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief - 760 | ISB Preparation Kit | My ISB Interview-Aspired Class of 2016
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview-Aspired Class of 2014 | General interview tips

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1700 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Visitors to the park have often looked up into the leafy can [#permalink] New post 09 May 2013, 08:05
Expert's post
My first point is that we should not confuse the use of ‘who’ with ‘whose’. ‘Who’ can be only used for humans, while 'whose' can be used universally for humans, non-humans, and even inanimate things.

Ex: Tom is the student who is the topper in GMAT - right , because student is a human
Tom is the student, which is the topper in GMAT - wrong because,’ which’ cannot denote humans
Tom grows a couple of cows, who yield two litres of milk – wrong because who cannot denote cows.
Tom grows a couple of cows, which yield two litres of milk – correct
Tom is the student, whose marks are the highest in the GMAT – right
Tom has half dozen pens, whose total is price is $5 – right again, though pen is a not a man.
Tom grows a couple of cows, whose total yield per day is two liters of milk. – Perfectly correct, even though cows are not humans.

All of the uses of 'whose' are correct because there is no other word to denote the possessive form of these pronouns. Actually the possessive pronoun of ‘who’, and ‘which’ is only ‘whose’.

Second, in this case, we have to ignore - saw monkeys -; because of //ism A, B and C are out in the dump.
Read with have, the past participle ‘seen’, is quite //. Now comes the play of logic in this modification by the prepositional phrase. Mechanically we cannot conclude that all the eligible nouns are vying to be modified equally; For example, a visitor is a visitor who has come to enjoy some place. He has not come to sleep on the branches. Nor do branches have arms and legs hanging like socks. So it can be only monkeys. This logical perception is vital for solving the contemporary pattern of question in the GMAT.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 2

Re: Visitors to the park have often looked up into the leafy can [#permalink] New post 09 May 2013, 08:47
danzig wrote:

Can you cite any official example where a relative pronoun (such as "whose" in this case) used as a non-essential modifier (basically delimited by commas) modifies anything other than the nearest eligible noun.

Would be interesting to see such example.

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Visitors to the park have often looked up into the leafy [#permalink] New post 12 May 2014, 05:20
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Visitors to the park have often looked up into the leafy   [#permalink] 12 May 2014, 05:20