Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 10:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Visitors to the Rodin Museum have often examined the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 87

CAT Tests
Visitors to the Rodin Museum have often examined the [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2013, 06:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

40% (01:50) correct 60% (00:52) wrong based on 124 sessions
Visitors to the Rodin Museum have often examined the enormous sculpture The Gates of Hell and saw figures clawing at the gates, whose eyes and mouths gape like black holes in the universe.

(A) saw figures clawing at the gates, whose eyes and mouths gape
(B) saw figures clawing at the gates, whose eyes and mouths were gaping
(C) saw figures clawing at the gates, with eyes and mouths gaping
(D) seen figures who claw at the gates, their eyes and mouths gaping
(E) seen figures clawing at the gates, whose eyes and mouths have gaped
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by gmatter0913 on 19 Aug 2013, 09:15, edited 2 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 27

Re: Visitors to the Rodin Museum have often examined the [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2013, 08:45
This post received
KUDOS
Visitors to the Rodin Museum have often examined the enormous sculpture The Gates of Hell and saw figures clawing at the gates, whose eyes and mouths gape like black holes in the universe.

(A) saw figures clawing at the gates, whose eyes and mouths gape
(B) saw figures clawing at the gates, whose eyes and mouths were gaping
(C) saw figures clawing at the gates, with eyes and mouths gaping
(D) seen figures who claw at the gates, their eyes and mouths gaping
(E) seen figures clawing at the gates, whose eyes and mouths have gaped

In E, whose is ambiguous, it can refer to both gates and figures as IMO whose can refer to both things and people.

In D, the pronoun WHO makes it clear that its "the figures clawing at the gates" who have their eyes and mouths gaping, their is a personal pronoun , it refers to a particular person/thing

Please give me kudos :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

CAT Tests
Re: Visitors to the Rodin Museum have often examined the [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2013, 09:21
I chose E wrongly for the below reasons:

1. "figures clawing at the gates" (verb-ing without comma) obviously modifies "figures".
2. "whose eyes and mouths have gaped" modifies "figures" because gates cannot have eyes and mouths.
3. Moreover, the only other possible option D has pronoun ambiguity. it is not clear if "their" is referring to "visitors" or "figures"...

Last edited by gmatter0913 on 21 Aug 2013, 02:46, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 15

Re: Visitors to the Rodin Museum have often examined the [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2013, 10:22
mnm21234 wrote:
In E, whose is ambiguous, it can refer to both gates and figures as IMO whose can refer to both things and people.

In option E, whosecertainly refers to gates.

Kudos always encourages me

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

CAT Tests
Re: Visitors to the Rodin Museum have often examined the [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2013, 11:29
Yes, I understand that "whose" can refer to things and people.

But, on the GMAT, we many times (especially in cases of pronoun as it is not an absolute rule) check if the antecedent makes sense or not. There are many official examples where it is said as "as A an antecedent doesn't make sense, it is B that the pronoun is referring to...)

So, I thought as "gates" cannot have eyes and mouths, it has to modify "figures".
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 117

Kudos [?]: 1186 [1] , given: 118

Premium Member
Re: Visitors to the Rodin Museum have often examined the [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2013, 18:52
This post received
KUDOS
gmatter0913 wrote:
Yes, I understand that "whose" can refer to things and people.

But, on the GMAT, we many times (especially in cases of pronoun as it is not an absolute rule) check if the antecedent makes sense or not. There are many official examples where it is said as "as A an antecedent doesn't make sense, it is B that the pronoun is referring to...)

So, I thought as "gates" cannot have eyes and mouths, it has to modify "figures".

HI gmatter

Technically, modifier should provide a CLOSEST noun. So to tackle modifier problem, we should follow "touch" rule first. In this question, even though gates do not have eyes, the present of a middle man - gates - makes a sentence's meaning ambiguous.

As you said: we have to check the antecedent to make sure it makes sense. Yes, you're correct. But before that the sentence's grammar must be correct first.

Hope it's clear.

Similar question to practice:
visitors-to-the-park-have-often-looked-up-into-the-leafy-10435.html

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 26

Re: Visitors to the Rodin Museum have often examined the [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2013, 22:49
Can someone explain seen vs saw?
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 117

Kudos [?]: 1186 [1] , given: 118

Premium Member
Re: Visitors to the Rodin Museum have often examined the [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2013, 23:04
This post received
KUDOS
animanga008 wrote:
Can someone explain seen vs saw?

Hi animanga

"seen" is correct to make a sentence parallel. Let see the non-underlined part

Visitors to the Rodin Museum have often examined the enormous sculpture The Gates of Hell and seen figures clawing at the gates............

"and" is parallel marker ==> have examined || and (have) seen. (present perfect tense)

If you use "saw", you mean simple past tense --> The sentence is not parallel.

Hope it's clear.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 26

Re: Visitors to the Rodin Museum have often examined the [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2013, 23:08
Ah, I see. Parallelism. Thanks for the feedback.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

CAT Tests
Re: Visitors to the Rodin Museum have often examined the [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2013, 19:11
Isn't the usage of "their" in option D a spot of concern? I thought it is definitely not clear if "their" is referring to "visitors" or "figures".

Also, can somebody point me to some good articles on "they" and "them".

Because all I know about "they" and "them" is that they are gender-neutral and strictly plural pronouns. But, it looks like I need to understand them more carefully, especially their usage in long sentences.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

CAT Tests
Re: Visitors to the Rodin Museum have often examined the [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2013, 07:28
Could somebody help me on the above query, please?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

Re: Visitors to the Rodin Museum have often examined the [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2013, 15:29
I chose E because I was under the impression that the relative pronoun "who" can only modify people. While reading the sentence, I wasn't sure if "the figures" were people or sculptures. Is this poor reasoning? Can we assume that these "figures" are people because they're being described as "clawing", an action word?
Re: Visitors to the Rodin Museum have often examined the   [#permalink] 23 Aug 2013, 15:29