Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 02:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Vocabulary

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User
Vocabulary [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 02:36
I never gave my GRE - so apart from the conventionally used words words and few minor exceptions, I struggle in RCs that use some new word, to me, which is although not conventional I should know.

So my question is - Is there a document somewhere, where someone has posted the top 100 wordlist that GMAT likes to use and not daily use words as such?

Thanks.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 26

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Vocabulary [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 03:46
abhicoolmax wrote:
I never gave my GRE - so apart from the conventionally used words words and few minor exceptions, I struggle in RCs that use some new word, to me, which is although not conventional I should know.

So my question is - Is there a document somewhere, where someone has posted the top 100 wordlist that GMAT likes to use and not daily use words as such?

Thanks.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

There is one floating in this forum but it has close to 2000 words! It is here in the forum.
try http://www.winningprep.com/ it also has a huge vocab list that is gmat focused.

I tried going through the words but honestly its very frustrating, boring and unnecessary. Mostly all critical words that you might encounter would be known to you. I have yet to come across a word in any test/material whose meaning I needed/wanted to know!
P.S. My vocab isn't that great.

What you can do is - When you read passages/sentences and you come across a word you do not know - immediately look it up in a dictionary. Only then will the word cement in your mind forever!

GMAT done - a mediocre score but I still have a lot of grit in me

The last 20 days of my GMAT journey

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Vocabulary [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 04:46
akhileshgupta05 wrote:
There is one floating in this forum but it has close to 2000 words! It is here in the forum.
try http://www.winningprep.com/ it also has a huge vocab list that is gmat focused.

I tried going through the words but honestly its very frustrating, boring and unnecessary. Mostly all critical words that you might encounter would be known to you. I have yet to come across a word in any test/material whose meaning I needed/wanted to know!
P.S. My vocab isn't that great.

What you can do is - When you read passages/sentences and you come across a word you do not know - immediately look it up in a dictionary. Only then will the word cement in your mind forever!

Thanks Akhilesh, for sharing the link. Seems like they have copy pasted the entire Barron's wordlist. I went through 50% of this list about 6-7 years ago when I planned to give my GRE, which I never gave :) But unless you give GRE these words won't cement, or unless you intentionally try to use them everyday; now I regret for not giving GRE, not just for GMAT but in general, as it's good to have this wordlist in your arsenal - anyways, whatever!

Currently, that's what I have been doing: if I come across a difficult word that I vaguely know but not 100% sure, I take a note of the word. I was just wondering if there is a short 'n' sweet (:p) comprehensive list of frequently used words in GMAT floating somewhere.

Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 13

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Vocabulary [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 11:40
Try this document which lists a number of strategies to tackle RC!
Attachments

GIN%27s RC technique.doc [55.5 KiB]
Downloaded 56 times

To download please login or register as a user

Powerscore CR Bible Full Chapter Notes | Easily Extend Vocabulary List with Google Dictionary

Please kudo me if you found my post useful. Thanks!!! :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Vocabulary [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 12:20
Mahtab wrote:
Try this document which lists a number of strategies to tackle RC!

Thanks a lot Mahtab for sharing this doc and trying to help. BB also told be about it a short while ago. I read it and I have been following most of these techniques ALONG WITH powerscore verbal bible tips. I regret I didn't start from here, as MGMAT RC kept me in dark for almost a month, not providing any concrete techniques that I could use. It have been improving my RC slowly but steadily - of-course I need a lot more practice as I had never experienced RC in my life before, hence this is helping me improve my reading comprehension in general. Reading technical articles and books is different, and comprehending a random text is different. I am enjoying the whole experience more than ever. Today I did a few medium RC and got 100% correct :) Boosting my confidence every day little by little.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Vocabulary [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 12:22
My problem lies within RC as well. At first, CR was my weakest area but after going through only the first 8 chapters of Powerscore CR Bible, I am now proud to say that CR is my strongest area!

Powerscore CR Bible Full Chapter Notes | Easily Extend Vocabulary List with Google Dictionary

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Vocabulary [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 12:48
Mahtab wrote:
My problem lies within RC as well. At first, CR was my weakest area but after going through only the first 8 chapters of Powerscore CR Bible, I am now proud to say that CR is my strongest area!

That's what I find strange. People compare MGMAT CR and Powerscore CR - kidding me? No way. But I don't deny MGMAT CR is also good. MGMAT CR is good for starter BUT if you want to master CR it has got to be Powerscore CR. I think the reason why my CR accuracy sky rocketed after Powerscore CR is because I had already thoroughly understood and implemented most of the strategies outlined in MGMAT CR. But there was something missing and as soon as I spend a week with Powerscore CR, I found that missing link and then all my fear vanished in just that week. This read also "sorta" helped in my RC but Powerscore Verbal RC was the key in the end - kind of helped me close the loop, which was missing that last bit of thread. Maybe it was just me that I needed that extra study time. Now it's just about practicing as much as I can before the test and polishing my strategy everyday little by little - Rome is NOT built it a day and nobody should expect that! ;-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Vocabulary [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 13:33
Are you saying that Powerscore RC Bible is a great resource?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Vocabulary [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2011, 13:40
Mahtab wrote:
Are you saying that Powerscore RC Bible is a great resource?

The all inclusive one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/098017 ... 0980178266. I liked their explanation on RC. It's very abstract but I think that's what I was looking - I like abstraction before I dive into strategy. When somebody told me think about tone, structure, etc of RC, I just could not imagine and comprehend that in my brain. Now I understand what these terms mean, I think :p. People who have done RC for SAT, GRE, etc are familiar with these terms but I was not. These felt like jargons to me early on.
Re: Vocabulary   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2011, 13:40