Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 04:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Volunteer Work?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Sep 2010
Posts: 4
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Schools: Boston U, Georgetown, Washington U, Notre Dame
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Volunteer Work? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 14:11
I am considering applying to Georgetown for Fall 2011. One of the essay questions has kind of stumped me because it asks about postgraduate work in the community and community involvement.

A) Please provide a bulleted list of your post-undergraduate involvement in the community. Indicate the nature of the activity or organization, dates of involvement, offices held, and average number of hours spent each month. B) What motivates you to continue contributing to the community?

With such a busy work schedule I haven't actually volunteered since I was in college. Is there another option/strategy in answering this question? If I aim to apply for the January deadline what is the best strategy in answering the essay question?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 20 Oct 2007
Posts: 138
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 4

Re: Volunteer Work? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 14:56
I'm surprised a b-school would ask this question in their application. As far as I know it's not a requirement to be admitted to b-school to have done any post-undergrad volunteering. In fact, many admits fall into your category. I would just be honest and explain why you didn't have time to be active in your community. At the same time, perhaps lay out any plans you may have to be active in the future.
_________________

MBAvolunteers - Application feedback & interview preps in exchange for a donation to a non-profit

Current Student
User avatar
Status: What's your raashee?
Joined: 12 Jun 2009
Posts: 1847
Location: United States (NC)
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Volunteer Work? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 17:27
AlexaSC wrote:
I am considering applying to Georgetown for Fall 2011. One of the essay questions has kind of stumped me because it asks about postgraduate work in the community and community involvement.

A) Please provide a bulleted list of your post-undergraduate involvement in the community. Indicate the nature of the activity or organization, dates of involvement, offices held, and average number of hours spent each month. B) What motivates you to continue contributing to the community?

With such a busy work schedule I haven't actually volunteered since I was in college. Is there another option/strategy in answering this question? If I aim to apply for the January deadline what is the best strategy in answering the essay question?


lets join the club! :( i basically wrote why i had ZERO hours on volunteering work. i did some study help here and there but they werent worth writing about.
_________________

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 538
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Volunteer Work? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 17:37
You should mention it. It is better than nothing.
_________________

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
Status: What's your raashee?
Joined: 12 Jun 2009
Posts: 1847
Location: United States (NC)
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 199 [1] , given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Volunteer Work? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 18:26
1
This post received
KUDOS
Dawgie wrote:
You should mention it. It is better than nothing.


doesnt sound good... helping my mom's friend' daughter in SAT prep for 3 hours from 2005-2010? maybe helping people in gmatclub?
_________________

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Sep 2010
Posts: 4
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Schools: Boston U, Georgetown, Washington U, Notre Dame
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Volunteer Work? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 18:41
I asked an Admissions Consultant about this today and she said:

If you haven't done anything, simply say that your work demands have prohibited you from participating. IF you had a strong volunteer record in school you can mention that, but basically just tell it like it is and close. They see plenty of ibankers and that crowd who work seventy hour weeks and then collapse. You won't be the first. It won't help your application, but should not be a killer. If you are starting to get involved, tell them what you are planning and why it interests you and how you hope to benefit the group. Show them that you have thought about it. Just don't try to blow smoke - they are very, very good at figuring that out.

I had been looking to apply to a couple of volunteer programs in my area this month on an ongoing basis so I'm thinking I can touch on that experience and start writing that particular essay closer to the time it's due. It won't be much volunteer experience but like a previous poster said everything little thing helps. Based on the Consultant's reply, it's definitely important to be honest and not overstate the facts. Fingers crossed!
Current Student
User avatar
Status: What's your raashee?
Joined: 12 Jun 2009
Posts: 1847
Location: United States (NC)
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Volunteer Work? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 21:10
AlexaSC wrote:
I asked an Admissions Consultant about this today and she said:

If you haven't done anything, simply say that your work demands have prohibited you from participating. IF you had a strong volunteer record in school you can mention that, but basically just tell it like it is and close. They see plenty of ibankers and that crowd who work seventy hour weeks and then collapse. You won't be the first. It won't help your application, but should not be a killer. If you are starting to get involved, tell them what you are planning and why it interests you and how you hope to benefit the group. Show them that you have thought about it. Just don't try to blow smoke - they are very, very good at figuring that out.

I had been looking to apply to a couple of volunteer programs in my area this month on an ongoing basis so I'm thinking I can touch on that experience and start writing that particular essay closer to the time it's due. It won't be much volunteer experience but like a previous poster said everything little thing helps. Based on the Consultant's reply, it's definitely important to be honest and not overstate the facts. Fingers crossed!



beware of picking volunteer work close to applying.... school can smell you doing it for the sake of app a mile away and it seems very disingenuous.
_________________

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Retired Moderator
avatar
Status: Darden Class of 2013
Joined: 28 Jul 2009
Posts: 1838
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Volunteer Work? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 21:40
While we're on the volunteering note, how is it that the b-schools are going to be able to tell whether or not you've done the volunteer work? I'm curious because as I'm filling out my extracurriculars, I started wondering how in the world adcoms are going to know whether you're lying or not. If adcom decides to do background check on you after you're admitted, your volunteer work will not be on the background check anyway. Any thought?
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Sep 2010
Posts: 4
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Schools: Boston U, Georgetown, Washington U, Notre Dame
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Volunteer Work? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 22:29
shaselai wrote:

beware of picking volunteer work close to applying.... school can smell you doing it for the sake of app a mile away and it seems very disingenuous.


I'm actually looking to volunteer because I got laid off from my company a few weeks back and want to be able to explain my "free-time" :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Sep 2010
Posts: 4
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Schools: Boston U, Georgetown, Washington U, Notre Dame
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Volunteer Work? [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2010, 22:39
bakfed wrote:
While we're on the volunteering note, how is it that the b-schools are going to be able to tell whether or not you've done the volunteer work? I'm curious because as I'm filling out my extracurriculars, I started wondering how in the world adcoms are going to know whether you're lying or not. If adcom decides to do background check on you after you're admitted, your volunteer work will not be on the background check anyway. Any thought?


Yes I'm pretty sure they don't check this information but definitely not a good idea to make up extracurriculars that you didn't take part in. I'm sure people might embellish slightly though. I guess it goes back to ones ethics too...if I falsely mentioned that I did volunteer work I would feel that I was misrepresenting myself.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 538
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Volunteer Work? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 03:38
shaselai wrote:
Dawgie wrote:
You should mention it. It is better than nothing.


doesnt sound good... helping my mom's friend' daughter in SAT prep for 3 hours from 2005-2010? maybe helping people in gmatclub?

Yea that might raise some other red flags... ...obear!
_________________

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Jun 2010
Posts: 110
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 27

Re: Volunteer Work? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 10:25
bakfed wrote:
While we're on the volunteering note, how is it that the b-schools are going to be able to tell whether or not you've done the volunteer work? I'm curious because as I'm filling out my extracurriculars, I started wondering how in the world adcoms are going to know whether you're lying or not. If adcom decides to do background check on you after you're admitted, your volunteer work will not be on the background check anyway. Any thought?


If they suspect something, I suppose they could ask you about it during an in-person interview. Depending on how well you acquit yourself, they may be able to determine that you've made it up or exaggerated it. I don't think it's worth it.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Jul 2010
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Volunteer Work? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 13:11
If you are not a good liar, don't lie about your extra-curriculars. Not only you would have trouble talking about your extra-curriculars during interview, but also your essay might not reflect the passion and dedication a true volunteer would have towards his goals.

Adcoms read dozens of applications every day and it becomes their second instinct to sniff the liars out.
_________________

George Jacobs
HTB Consultants, Affordable MBA Essay advice
mba.xpert at gmail dot com

Current Student
User avatar
Status: What's your raashee?
Joined: 12 Jun 2009
Posts: 1847
Location: United States (NC)
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Volunteer Work? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 20:29
bakfed wrote:
While we're on the volunteering note, how is it that the b-schools are going to be able to tell whether or not you've done the volunteer work? I'm curious because as I'm filling out my extracurriculars, I started wondering how in the world adcoms are going to know whether you're lying or not. If adcom decides to do background check on you after you're admitted, your volunteer work will not be on the background check anyway. Any thought?



ok. you dont want them to bust you on this - you will lose their trust and imo it will be auto-ding since integrity is/should be very important. it is better to just make good explainations as to why you didnt volunteer. I know i am a very very bad liar and i would fold pretty much...guess it is a good thing?
_________________

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2010
Posts: 25
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Volunteer Work? [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 10:26
Hi AlexaSC

Great question about the emphasis of volunteer experience by the top business schools.

Linda Abraham, Accepted.com's founder and president, expressed on her website, "The top global business programs believe that business leaders are and should be shaping tomorrow's world. For this reason, they like to see a history of that kind of community influence in their applicants. If you really aren't interested in serving the community in any way, then you do not share these schools' vision."

For this reason, perhaps you should consider participating our national pre-MBA professional group, USA Leadership Corps.

USALC structures volunteer nonprofit and small business strategy consulting projects for emerging MBAs who desire to strengthen their leadership, consulting, entrepreneurship, and/or community-involvement backgrounds. Our website: http://www.usaLeadershipCorps.org

Thank you again for sharing a great question, AlexaSC.

Good luck.

Maxwell Roper
Outreach Director
USA Leadership Corps
Current Student
User avatar
Status: What's your raashee?
Joined: 12 Jun 2009
Posts: 1847
Location: United States (NC)
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Volunteer Work? [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 12:04
MaxwellRoper wrote:
Hi AlexaSC

Great question about the emphasis of volunteer experience by the top business schools.

Linda Abraham, Accepted.com's founder and president, expressed on her website, "The top global business programs believe that business leaders are and should be shaping tomorrow's world. For this reason, they like to see a history of that kind of community influence in their applicants. If you really aren't interested in serving the community in any way, then you do not share these schools' vision."

For this reason, perhaps you should consider participating our national pre-MBA professional group, USA Leadership Corps.

USALC structures volunteer nonprofit and small business strategy consulting projects for emerging MBAs who desire to strengthen their leadership, consulting, entrepreneurship, and/or community-involvement backgrounds. Our website: http://www.usaLeadershipCorps.org

Thank you again for sharing a great question, AlexaSC.

Good luck.

Maxwell Roper
Outreach Director
USA Leadership Corps

nice! but probably too late for people applying this year since it would look like the applicant started to fill the void
_________________

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Sep 2010
Posts: 133
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 7

Re: Volunteer Work? [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2010, 14:14
What are the volunteering opportunities that are considered appropriate for MBA schools?
Should it be something intellectually challenging, as tutoring, for example?
Or cleaning state park by picking up trash is fine too, as long as you are helping community?
Thanks.
Current Student
avatar
Status: Matriculating to Ross!
Joined: 05 Dec 2010
Posts: 210
Schools: Harvard, Ross, McCombs, Mendoza
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Volunteer Work? [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2010, 17:15
Fijisurf wrote:
What are the volunteering opportunities that are considered appropriate for MBA schools?
Should it be something intellectually challenging, as tutoring, for example?
Or cleaning state park by picking up trash is fine too, as long as you are helping community?
Thanks.


I wouldn't think that anything would be looked down on, but try to focus on anything that affords you the opportunity to lead or organize others. Volunteering is pretty easy, but taking a leadership role is a serious commitment and shows your dedication to positively affect the world around you.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2012
Posts: 90
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: Q44 V38
GPA: 3.7
WE: Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 82

Re: Volunteer Work? [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 16:33
This is an enlightening thread.

If someone reasonably explains why they haven't been a volunteer, does that put them on an equal playing field with someone who does have volunteer experience. Lets take two candidates for an example:

Applicant A. Work 80hrs per week and travel 5-6 days per week for the company. 700 GMAT. 3.5GPA. No volunteer experience since college.

Applicant B. Spends 40 hours per week in the office and doesn't travel for work. 700 GMAT. 3.5GPA. Helped organize their neighborhood bowling league.

From your experiences, if there is only one spot open at said B School, who gets it?
_________________

kudos are appreciated

Re: Volunteer Work?   [#permalink] 11 Dec 2012, 16:33
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
volunteer work papagiorgio 3 29 Aug 2010, 16:54
3 Volunteers needed (no physical work required) :) pmenon 7 29 May 2009, 06:28
Profile Review Finance/Research + volunteer work falibay 0 12 Mar 2008, 13:22
Experts publish their posts in the topic Profile Review Finance/Research + volunteer work falibay 1 12 Mar 2008, 13:21
mention very recent volunteer work? ceg 2 01 Mar 2005, 13:00
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Volunteer Work?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.