Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Dec 2014, 05:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

W/O Prep 510,crushed 460! Take an advantage of my experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 18

W/O Prep 510,crushed 460! Take an advantage of my experience [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2012, 03:30
Hello Everyone,

I have been visiting the forum since last couple of months. I am really impressed by people who are not selfish and believe in sharing ideas. Now, it is time for me to share my experience and become a member of this community.
Before I get my horrified story, here are my scores:

Feb, 23 2012 Q45 V12----460
March,31 2011 Q39 V21 ---510

Before I took my first GMAT I did not do much preparation but study all Manhattan GMAT set. Also, I have completed its CATs. I got fluctuating scores from 530 to 620 in six of them.

Until last two months I didn’t touch the books at all. I was almost always busy at work. On the otherside, my goal was to get 600-620. I guess I misjudged the exam and not study hard enough to increase my score esspecially in verbal.

Last two months:

I have half studied CR Bible (covered most common five topics)
I solved OG critical reasoning, SC. And 6 test of old official GMAT questions (the ones called book1, book2….etc.)
I finished NOVA data sufficiency and solved OG12 quant questions.

As you may notice that I put more effort on quant so increased my quant raw score. Compared to quant, verbal is really headache for me. I feel like whatever I do I cannot improve my score on verbal. You are absultely right to say or think that I did not try hard enough. But again, I FEEL LIKE!!!

Now, after the disaster that happened two days ago, I have to admit that I do respect the GMAT and ready to dedicate myself for a solid preparation especially for verbal part.

I set up a new goal to get 40V. What do you think guys? As I told you above, I read many post regarding verbal preparation. I think most of them really helpful. What I am looking for now is little encouragement from you.

What would you do, if you were me?

I am looking forward to having your recommendations.

Thank you for reading.

Verbal40
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 311 [1] , given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: W/O Prep 510,crushed 460! Take an advantage of my experience [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2012, 07:04
This post received
KUDOS
You are not the only one who scored so badly in verbal, there are numerous examples of 700 + scorers,who started with verbal in 20s..so cheer up and with due dedication and a good plan , u will get the desired score.
This advice is from one gmatter who scored 47 in verbal
720-q42-v47-how-to-improve-verbal-tips-50635.html
all the best.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 123

Kudos [?]: 632 [1] , given: 114

Re: W/O Prep 510,crushed 460! Take an advantage of my experience [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2012, 08:25
This post received
KUDOS
A agree with the post above! Sorry to hear about your disappointment, but you can definitely come back from this!

As a side note, I saw what you listed for your last two months of preparations, and there is one big problem! Doing practice questions is definitely not the best form of studying. Before you jump into 1000s of practice questions, you must understand the concepts and ideas. I would revisit your manhattan GMAT books, and put more effort into content instead of practice questions. Practice questions are a great way to drill down on concepts that you've learned, but not to learn concepts.

You also don't look like you're taking practice tests. Practice tests are the best way to simulate the test day, and help you improve your score by working on timing, stress management, the GMAT algorithm, etc..

Also take a look at this post: gmat-study-plan-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html This will help you with a study plan if you need one.

and this post: 10-tips-to-improve-your-score-app-with-no-extra-studying-124393-20.html to help with the intangibles.

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 18

Re: W/O Prep 510,crushed 460! Take an advantage of my experience [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2012, 08:10
This post received
KUDOS
Thank you so much rajeevrks27 and GMATLA.

I will take into consideration all your suggestions.

Hope to get over the GMAT and wrıte you back soon.

Good luck for whatever you are doing...
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 63

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: W/O Prep 510,crushed 460! Take an advantage of my experience [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2012, 08:32
i like ur username ....so encouraging for the non natives like me...
first kudo in ur kitty from my side..
all d best to u also..
do let me know if need any help..
Regards.
Rajeev

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Re: W/O Prep 510,crushed 460! Take an advantage of my experience   [#permalink] 27 Feb 2012, 08:32