Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:12 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [1]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Wailtisted at Top Choice -- Evaluation [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
atl12688 wrote:
This may be the wrong place for this inquiry, and I apologize ahead of time. I was waitlisted (R2 applicant). Vanderbilt was my top choice this year (tied with emory but dinged), and I have received another update letter regarding my waitlist. The original waitlist has a firm stance "don't contact us, we'll contact you". The second stated that if I have any updates regarding test scores or work experience/awards to please send a detailed message to admissions. I am not taking the GMAT again, for better or worse, I had a 210 (490 to 700) point increase and believe I did my best, even though it may have hurt my chances a bit, given my weak work experience. So that leaves me with the work experience/awards. I have not received any awards since applying, nor a promotion, but there were some minor awards I did not include in my original application and additional responsibilities. I would love any input or evaluation or tips anyone might be able to provide. I know I'm throwing a lot out there, but like I said, Vanderbilt was my top choice and the fact that I'm getting a small opportunity I'd like some help on what to do next. If any further information regarding my profile is needed to provide such input, don't hesitate to ask. Thank you!

I'm curious what you mean by "minor awards." Is an award ever minor? If the award shows relevancy to what business schools seek - leadership, teamwork, strategic thinking, etc - it might not be so minor. So reflect on what the awards say about you and capitalize on those strengths. Discuss why you failed to mention them earlier and how upon more reflection, you felt it would be helpful input for them.

I would try to get on work projects that will showcase or build your project or people leadership skills, if possible.

I notice that your GMAT is a bit lopsided, so make sure to highlight any recent efforts you've made to improve your communication skills. Or some other, relevant activity that would point to your communication skills. I would encourage you to join Toastmasters and make reference to it in a future update. Make sure to state it in a positive way like "continuously improving" not remedy a weakness.

All that being said, you are not on the waitlist because you lack the sufficient qualifications, but because your profile is overrepresented. It's a diversity issue, not a GMAT issue. Someone with a similar profile had even better qualifications and/or demonstrated the unique contributions they could make to the class. Think deeply about how you can brand yourself in the eyes of the adcom. What are you known for? Do you have any hobbies, activities or community service that show you as a more well-rounded, diverse candidate?

Do not fail to mention that Owen is your first choice, and that you would accept their offer if it was extended. I would also discuss any further research or networking you have done to establish how it would be a good fit. What are their values, do you share in those values? Any example to substantiate that? Making an emotional connection (values) is a big way to set yourself apart.

Also, is there an update you could share that points to Owen being the ideal place for you to lay the ground work for your career goals? I would make mention of the most strong, important reason their program will get you from point A to point B in your career. I see you are in health care, Owen is known for that program. If you plan to pursue that, drive home how much you need this.

Lastly, I imagine that you have done a campus visit? One of my NYC clients in HR was fanatic about Vandy but completed changed her mind once she got to town, and is now at NYU. Make sure to do a campus visit for this reason, and also, to demonstrate your commitment to attending if accepted.

Hope this helps & best of luck to you!
Farrell
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: Wailtisted at Top Choice -- Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
It would be helpful to send them an update. Use the awards, however minor you feel they are, to be a reason to engage with them. You would want to signal that you are very interested to attend Vanderbilt, make sure to be explicit that they are your first choice and would definitely accept their offer. Demonstrate familiarity with the school, and craft your message to strengthen potential areas of concern (e.g. quant skills or leadership experience at work).

Wish you all the best and I look forward to your updates on this!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks all for the responses!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
one thing i forgot to ask, is there a length range i should aim for?? Thanks in advance!
GMAT Club Bot