Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 12:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

wait for a couple of years?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

wait for a couple of years? [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 23:14
Hi guys,
I took my GMAT on 10th August and scores a 680 ( quants:44 verbal:39 awa:5.0 IR:8). This was my first attempt and pretty much my best considering my mock tests where the highest i scored was 700.
I work with Mahindra satyam as a software developer.(12 months: in fact today is the first anniversary :P)
I am B.E. CSE from Karunya University,Tamil Nadu with a 8.39 CGPA. hold good academic record throughout(always First class with distinction).
Awarded for my communication skills in English in college, school and Work Place. Dance, drama, singing,fashion shows, organizing events, blood donations, community service...just the normal stuff.nothing out of the ordinary.
No international experience.

My questions:
i) should i wait for a couple of years to build up on my work experience and then apply for MBA or just start with Masters in Management applications right away? This is crucial because from where i stand there is no scope in the job that i do for international exposure nor is it something i love doing. Even the pay is not to hold on to.leadership while working on the same is out of the question. ( all such comments based on the seniors in my project). I do not want to waste precious years of my life knowing i could have made it better. Also, since i have no business background, masters in management programs which concentrate on teaching from scratch are just the right fit for me.
The schools i loved are HEC, ESSEC, EDHEC, Em Lyon. All in france.Dont know if i should be looking at others since these look promising enough.
I am not looking at a high profile job after the course, just the bottom most rung of the ladder so i can start on my way to the top.
ii)are there any MBA courses that look for 2 years experience at the time of joining and not application because i will complete my 2 years by the time the course starts? I wish to join by Fall 2013.
Please let me know if i m thinking correctly.

Let there be light!

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: wait for a couple of years? [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2012, 10:46
Due you have the risk tolerance of coming back to India if you fail to land a job in Europe ? If not then would suggest you to retake GMAT get a 720 or above and you can get scholarship for Masters in Management.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Intern
Intern

Re: wait for a couple of years? [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2012, 20:27
that is truly a big and important question.
the risk of not getting a job in europe is huge. at the same time, even in my mock gmats i have never ever scoreed 700+. dont want to attempt again knowing that my chances of 720 are really really low.
so are u implying that if i get a decent scholarship, it is worth the risk to go for MiM? does it have absoultely no relevance in India or the asian subcontinent in general?

Let there be light!

Re: wait for a couple of years? [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2012, 00:08
If you have managed 680 in actual GMAT, there is no reason as to why you cannot increase that 720 with 3-4 months of diligent effort. How to do that its a different question ? Any reputed degree from Europe or US is revered in India. The point is that chances of getting a job are high as you would be applying for analyst roles from Masters in Management. Its easier to get a job at entry level. So by scholarships you are nullifying the downside risk of not landing a job. Again a lot depends what other choices do you have ?

Intern
Intern

Re: wait for a couple of years? [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2012, 01:00
i totally agree with you on the risk factor part. But, i have to start the course by next FALL and can't possibly dedicate any more time to GMAT prep.
I d rather take french classes or work on non curricular part of my profile this remaining time.
Do you think i can hope to get into b schools for mba with my current profile?not the top league, maybe texas a & m and the likes.

Let there be light!

1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 308 [1] , given: 190

Re: wait for a couple of years? [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2012, 07:27
This post received
KUDOS
Of course you can get into MBA but you will need 5 years of work ex to be competitive. Three years in IT in on the lower side. Try to get international exposure if possible. French is useful but extra curricula-rs won't help much in Masters in Management.

Intern
Intern

Re: wait for a couple of years? [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2012, 09:45
AbhiJ wrote:
Of course you can get into MBA but you will need 5 years of work ex to be competitive. Three years in IT in on the lower side. Try to get international exposure if possible. French is useful but extra curricula-rs won't help much in Masters in Management.

so should i completely give up hopes for MBA next year and concentrate on just the Masters in Management(grand ecole)?? :( :( :( :(

Let there be light!

Re: wait for a couple of years? [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2012, 11:36
I would suggest you to post your profile in the Admission Consultants section on this site and get a free evaluation. Get more opinions.

Re: wait for a couple of years?   [#permalink] 31 Aug 2012, 11:36