Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 06:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Waitlist/Interview suggestion

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 51 [1] , given: 0

Waitlist/Interview suggestion [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 12:47
This post received
KUDOS
I recently went through the application process for the part-time programs at 2 ultra-elite schools and got admitted into one of them. I want to share an important aspect of the interview that I wasn’t aware until I submitted my applications and got waitlisted by one of the schools.

My interview at one school went very well but I felt that the interview at the other school didn’t go that well, primarily because of the mismatch of the personalities. The interviewer was a recent grad. I always feared such a situation because many students/recent grads might not have had experience with interviewing others, and might not have the maturity to deal with different personalities. Anyhow, I got waitlisted at the later school. So I reviewed my whole application to identify the weaknesses, and interview topped my list. So I called the adcom and subtly conveyed my concern. Adcom immediately responded back with another interview opportunity, with the adcom this time. The first thing they told me was that most of the applicants in situations like mine don’t come forward, and adcom likes it when applicants come forward proactively and express their concern. Ofcourse, applicants should have valid concerns though. This is also a way of showing adcom your interest in the school.

So if you think that the interview didn’t give you an opportunity to pitch your candidacy, feel free to contact adcom to find ways to convey the message. You don’t need to be waitlisted to do it; sometimes it would be too late. Although I applied to the part-time programs, I believe the same suggestion goes to all programs. Be aggressive.. schools like it!
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Waitlist/Interview suggestion [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 13:16
"the squeaky wheel gets the grease"... looks like it worked out in your favor. thanks for sharing this tip, it's definitely a good one that i think carries over to FT programs as well.

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas, Booth, Kellogg, Stanford
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

Re: Waitlist/Interview suggestion [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2009, 14:46
I think this is a great piece of information and this is why I would prefer to be interviewed by an adcom as I would think they would come with the most objective view point.

It never hurts to be aggressive, Sounds like you were truly sincere and I could see that playing extremely favorable in the adcom's eyes. Good job!

Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.
- Norman Cousins

Re: Waitlist/Interview suggestion   [#permalink] 13 Nov 2009, 14:46