Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 09:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Waitlist Question for Admissions Counselors

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 295

GMAT Tests User
Waitlist Question for Admissions Counselors [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 09:27
To Admissions Counselors: I am currently waitlisted at NYU Stern, my top choice. I would love to get off the waitlist and get in. NYU fits in the category of "show me you love me" type of school. What can I do to strengthen my application? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My profile is as follows:
- Top 3 UGrad in technical field with 3.0 GPA
- Masters in engineering field, 4.0 GPA
- 700+ GMAT
- 1 1/2 years of analytics at Top Tier Investment Bank
- 1/2 year at an international non-profit
- 1 year at a rising Financial Services firm
- Extensive volunteer work as a Mentor and co-founder of two new chapters in two different cities
- Two letters of recommendations from former boss and mentor at Investment Bank.
- A peer letter from current Stern MBA student and former coworker.

My below average UGrad GPA was addressed in an optional essay, which explained that I worked multiple jobs while studying so that I could pay tuition. This experience proved invaluable as I was able to manage multiple workloads and improve my time management skills.

I sent an update letter informing them of my recent promotion, CFA studying efforts, and new community service activities. I also plan to visit campus as well.

NYU also accepts additional professional letters of recommendations. I have two possible sources:
1) a peer with whom I volunteered in many volunteer activities
2) A current Sloan MBA student with whom I worked pro-bono at my 1/2 year in the international non-profit

Would you recommend sending a letter? What else can I do to strengthen my application? Thanks in advance.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Waitlist Question for Admissions Counselors [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2010, 22:58
Any progress?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 66 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Waitlist Question for Admissions Counselors [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2011, 14:58
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Futurestrategist,

I hope the following information helps. While the waitlist may imply additional pain, it is usually an opportunity to further market yourself to the admissions team.

If additional materials are encouraged, you may wonder what is appropriate to send. Every situation is unique, but the following is a list of things to consider:

1) Is your GMAT score below the MBA program’s mean? If so, consider retaking the GMAT test.
2) Did you make any contacts within the admissions committee? If so, then now would be the right time to reach out to these people and ask how you can improve your candidacy.
3) Reiterate your interest in the MBA program and commitment to the business school through written communication.
4) Do you have someone who could write a recommendation for you to provide a new perspective on your abilities and personality?
5) If you have any differences to report related to personal or experiences, write a letter outlining these changes.
6) If you have not yet interviewed or the MBA program and an interview is offered, make sure to take the opportunity!

I hope this was of help Futurestrategist. Please let me know if there are any other questions I can answer.

Best Regards,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Re: Waitlist Question for Admissions Counselors   [#permalink] 27 Jan 2011, 14:58