Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 02:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Waitlisted at Darden - retake the Gmat?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.03
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Waitlisted at Darden - retake the Gmat? [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 10:26
Hi Linda,

I was waitlisted at Darden. I was wondering if I should retake the GMAT. In your experience is Darden open to requests for waitlist feedback?

My current score is 680 V 38 Q46.
27, M.
International student living in US.
5 years experience in consulting. Worked on some unique projects. Co-author on a congressional study of a major housing issue.
Undergrad GPA 3.03 from University of Richmond. Majored in Economics and Finance, but the hold a degree in Business Admin.
Post MBA goals include transitioning to work in nontraditional finance in VC capacity.

Also applied to Wharton (Interview-D), NYU (r1), Booth(r2), Yale(r2). Still waiting to hear on the last three.

Thank you
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 347 [0], given: 64

Re: Waitlisted at Darden - retake the Gmat? [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 20:31
Expert's post
fuji wrote:
Hi Linda,

I was waitlisted at Darden. I was wondering if I should retake the GMAT. In your experience is Darden open to requests for waitlist feedback?

My current score is 680 V 38 Q46.
27, M.
International student living in US.
5 years experience in consulting. Worked on some unique projects. Co-author on a congressional study of a major housing issue.
Undergrad GPA 3.03 from University of Richmond. Majored in Economics and Finance, but the hold a degree in Business Admin.
Post MBA goals include transitioning to work in nontraditional finance in VC capacity.

Also applied to Wharton (Interview-D), NYU (r1), Booth(r2), Yale(r2). Still waiting to hear on the last three.

Thank you

In our recent Darden Q&A with Sara Neher, she indicated that Darden gives feedback to applicants who are rejected and want to reapply, but they do so in June. She said nothing about feedback to currently waitlisted applicants.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Expert Post
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Waitlisted at Darden - retake the Gmat? [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 03:32
Expert's post
Hi, Fuji. I just wanted to add that there is no reason not to retake the GMAT to try to boost your score. The 680 is not differentiating you currently, so boosting the score will help in several ways:
1) you'll show that you're serious about getting in to Darden by making this effort (and of course, you can send the new score to the R2 programs as well)
2) you'll demonstrate that you have the innate cognitive ability to perform well in the program, and
3) you'll be preparing for a re-application to Darden and other programs next year (if it comes to that) by boosting the GMAT score now.
Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
310-815-9553

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.03
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Waitlisted at Darden - retake the Gmat? [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2011, 06:39
Hello Linda and Jennifer,

I followed your advice and re-took the GMAT. I improved my score by 50 points - 730 (Q82%, V94%). I informed Darden and Stern, where I am waitlisted about my scores. How impactful do you think it will be this late in the game? Also, any other steps I can take to improve my odds to get off the waitlist? Finally, what else should I be doing to prepare as a re-applicant ?

Thanks
Expert Post

Re: Waitlisted at Darden - retake the Gmat? [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2011, 02:26
Expert's post
fuji wrote:
Hello Linda and Jennifer,

I followed your advice and re-took the GMAT. I improved my score by 50 points - 730 (Q82%, V94%). I informed Darden and Stern, where I am waitlisted about my scores. How impactful do you think it will be this late in the game? Also, any other steps I can take to improve my odds to get off the waitlist? Finally, what else should I be doing to prepare as a re-applicant ?

Thanks

I think it will be very impactful. If they have a place for someone with your background, then you just pushed yourself up the list with the much stronger GMAT. If you do have to reapply, I recommend using your time now to visit the programs, speak with current students and alumni about the programs to get a good sense of what makes each special, and continue leading at work and in the community to generate more great content for the most important element of your application: the essays!

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553

Manager
Manager
Schools: Darden,McCombs,Owen ($$$$),Booth (int),Kellogg (int)
WE 1: 4 years software consulting - US
WE 2: 2 years management consulting - Argentina

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Waitlisted at Darden - retake the Gmat? [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2011, 17:39
I just thought that I'd add my experience. I applied last year with a sub-par GMAT and was waitlisted and eventually denied. I asked for a feedback session in the summer, and I was told that the ONLY weakness in my application was my GMAT. I retook it, reapplied and was admitted. I guess the moral of the story is that if you can "act" on the feedback given, it'll show that you really want to be at the particular school. PM me if you have any specific questions.
Expert Post

Re: Waitlisted at Darden - retake the Gmat? [#permalink] New post 05 May 2011, 03:34
Expert's post
popper wrote:
I just thought that I'd add my experience. I applied last year with a sub-par GMAT and was waitlisted and eventually denied. I asked for a feedback session in the summer, and I was told that the ONLY weakness in my application was my GMAT. I retook it, reapplied and was admitted. I guess the moral of the story is that if you can "act" on the feedback given, it'll show that you really want to be at the particular school. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Thanks for sharing your success story, Popper! You are further evidence that there is hope after a waitlisting and denial!

Regards,
Jennifer Bloom, CPRW
jbloom@accepted.com
310-815-9553