Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 01:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Waitlisted at Kellogg

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Waitlisted at Kellogg [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2008, 19:02
--

Last edited by mst on 29 Jun 2008, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Waitlisted at Kellogg [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2008, 16:11
Expert's post
mst,

You have a strong profile, so I am not surprised that INSEAD admitted you and am a little surprised that Kellogg has not yet. My guess is they assumed, given your interview admission, that you would probably go with INSEAD. Did you give them that impression in any way? Are you still considering Kellogg because you don't yet have to commit to INSEAD and want to see if Kellogg will come through for you? Why are you still waiting on Kellogg if INSEAD has admitted you?

I agree that the opportunities for you to strengthen your already strong profile are minimal, but wait-list letters don't need to just be about promotions. They can also be "updates," in which you mention anything that's *changed* such as the 4 new teammates. These letters can also--and in your case probably should--be used to show that you have continued to learn about the school, have spoken to Joe A. and Mary B. about their Kellogg experiences etc. -- show them you know their school, convince them you want to go there. And if you would rather go to Kellogg than INSEAD tell Kellogg that in the letter.

Hope this helps,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Waitlisted at Kellogg [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2008, 20:43
Thanks a lot, Paul for your response.

I have already sent an email to the Admissions director at Kellogg explaining the reasons I prefer to go to Kellogg instead of INSEAD (my husband is a first year student at Kellogg, and my Green Card is pending, so it is better for me to attend a US school). I indicated that Kellogg is my top choice and the only US school I applied to. I have also mentioned about attending the information session last year and talking to an adcom member (a first year student) today. As suggested by the adcom member, I will also try to meet the admissions director in person.

During the interview, I specifically mentioned that I had deferred my INSEAD admit in order to apply to Kellogg. Probably my interviewer did not mention the detail about deferring INSEAD admit.

I am keeping my fingers crossed, and if I do not get off the waitlist in few more weeks, then I will send another mail to Kellogg with my profile updates.

Thanks
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 336 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Waitlisted at Kellogg [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2008, 07:40
Expert's post
mst,

It sounds like your are doing everything you can. If you have a "network" of Kellogg people who could send in "spontaneous" (that is, apparently unsolicited by you) emails or notes of support to the committee on your behalf that might also be useful.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog