Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 12:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Waive right to access recommendations?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2006
Posts: 177
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Waive right to access recommendations? [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2006, 19:34
What is the appropiate response to this question?
CEO
CEO
avatar
Joined: 17 Jul 2004
Posts: 3281
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2006, 19:36
The conventional wisdom is that the authors will give a more objective evaluation of your weaknesses if you waive your right to access the LOR.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1580 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2006, 19:37
The appropriate response is always to waive.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2006
Posts: 177
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2006, 19:46
Is this because the adcomm will see you waived your right and judge the recs better?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1580 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2006, 19:48
homefry wrote:
Is this because the adcomm will see you waived your right and judge the recs better?


In theory. Most adcoms say they don't care. I don't believe them. I think it lends credence to the argument that your recs are honest and truthful.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2006
Posts: 177
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2006, 20:27
Do the recommenders see that you waived your rights?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1580 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2006, 20:28
homefry wrote:
Do the recommenders see that you waived your rights?


Yes, I think so.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2006
Posts: 177
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2006, 20:29
rhyme wrote:
homefry wrote:
Do the recommenders see that you waived your rights?


Yes, I think so.


You're fast.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1580 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2006, 20:36
homefry wrote:
rhyme wrote:
homefry wrote:
Do the recommenders see that you waived your rights?


Yes, I think so.


You're fast.


:)
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 04 Jan 2006
Posts: 926
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2006, 21:21
OH SHOOT -> I clicked on I dont waive my right to access the recs!

Is that bad? Now I am worrieD!
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2006
Posts: 1124
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2006, 01:34
I did not waive the right for any of the 3 apps that I made in R1.
Rhyme might be right, but I do not think that it is absolutely crucial to show "good faith" on this minor issue.
Anyway, I will only have the right to see the recos if and when I am admitted. So, if the reco is bad and I am not admitted I will not have the chance to see it and will not know that I failed because of the poor reco... hence, no worries about the objectivity of the recommenders
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 256

Kudos [?]: 1580 [0], given: 7

Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2006, 03:54
willget800 wrote:
OH SHOOT -> I clicked on I dont waive my right to access the recs!

Is that bad? Now I am worrieD!


Its not a big deal.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 727
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2006, 05:52
Always waive... It gives the impression that the recommender is not being swayed by the pressure of your oversight. It gives the impression of an objective and impartial recommendation. Top schools want to see that you waived. Don't you guys remember all those "sealed and signed" envelopes from college apps?
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2006
Posts: 1124
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2006, 06:07
Mark4124 wrote:
Always waive... It gives the impression that the recommender is not being swayed by the pressure of your oversight. It gives the impression of an objective and impartial recommendation. Top schools want to see that you waived. Don't you guys remember all those "sealed and signed" envelopes from college apps?


Let me disagree. Envelope should be sealed and stamped so as to prevent tampering with the documents.
Waiving or not waiving the right to review the reco upon the admission is my right by law.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 166
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2006, 08:27
I disagree. Don't most (or at least many) recommenders show you their recommendations before they submit them anyway if for no other reason than to ask you to verify that they didn't leave anything out?

It's difficult for me to believe that the Admissions Committee would assume that a recommendation is not objective (or less objective) just because someone chose to not waive access, or that a recommendation is objective (or more objective) solely because someone chose to waive access.

The Admissions Committee must be more sophisticated than that. After reading hundreds of recommendations each year, they've probably gotten to the point that they can tell right away whether a recommendation is objective based on the substance of the recommendation.
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Ever vigilant. Ever connected.
Affiliations: PMI
Joined: 20 Apr 2014
Posts: 228
Location: Malaysia
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE: Project Management (Other)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 425

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Waive right to access recommendations? [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2014, 03:38
I think it would be helpful to the readers if I posted my conversations with Tuck adcom on the matter.

Quote:
neo656 (applying to Tuck Round 1) commented on Tuck (view comment thread)
Hi Guys
Any clue what would be the effect on my candidacy if I do not waive off my right to to see the recommendation? Does it even matter to Tuck adcom or not?

Tuck Admissions (Member of the Tuck Admissions Committee) replied
Hi neo656 - By not waiving your right, it might raise a question that you had a hand in writing your own recommendation. The majority of applicants DO waive their right to see their LOR.

neo656 (applying to Tuck Round 1) replied
Hi Adcom Member,
Thanks for the advice! Good for me I waived off the right in second reco too.
But I am confused, because a curious person who has not seen his LOR or had a hand in writing it might be tempted to see it and hence waiver right shouldn't raise a red flag. Regardless, your advice comes in a good time. I'll post it on the other forums too.
Cheers

Tuck Admissions (Member of the Tuck Admissions Committee) replied
I know it's tempting! While we do like to give people the benefit of the doubt, it's important to be cautious. Additionally, if your recommender knows you'll see the letter, they may be less inclined to be as candid as they would be knowing it was private. Thanks for the question!

neo656 (applying to Tuck Round 1) replied
:)
Thanks for the reply!

_________________

Was I helpful? Shower some kudos... :) Feeling sick with all that boring education or the stressful applications.?! Follow me I'll throw you some stressbusters.. ;)

LBS Research made easy - Check it out.
Check out for quick info about Tuck - Why Tuck? EA Round Pros & Cons. Admission Process and Tips.

Bored of all the GMAT and MBA stuff? Check this page out - Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA - it might give you something to laugh on or may be to be hopeful about... :)

Raves, rants and war stories of First Year MBA Students

Received an offer? Congrats! You might want to 'Negotiate the Offer'.

Be a sport. Update your profile here.

"GMAT conquered. Let's talk about applications..."
Persistence is the key. And I'm gonna make through...

Re: Waive right to access recommendations?   [#permalink] 06 Oct 2014, 03:38
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Tip: Waive Your Right to View Your Recommendation. PaulLanzillotti 1 02 Nov 2010, 16:01
Waiving / Not waiving the right to recommendation itsmystery 1 13 Jan 2010, 11:01
Not Waiving right to review rec. = bad??? GK_Gmat 8 23 Sep 2008, 00:31
not waiving rights to read recommendations katgirl82 3 20 Mar 2008, 12:44
Waiving Rights to See Reco's emoryhopeful 16 01 Oct 2007, 11:55
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Waive right to access recommendations?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.