Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 21:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Waivers (Wharton et al.)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Waivers (Wharton et al.) [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2009, 02:20
This is meant to be a thread to elaborate between current and incoming students about the first significant choice to make after being admitted: waiving or not waiving core courses*. The scope is both general guidelines and specific instances at various schools in terms of classes worth or not worth waiving.

I am going to Wharton, and the choice here is particularly overwhelming due to the number of electives offered (their actual availability from day 1 for 1st years is indeed matter of discussion). So I'll start with my tentative approach, also asking inputs from current students of Wharton and beyond.

WAIVERS

Hypotheses:
- I have a background in business administration whose quantitative coursework is completely lost on me. I mean completely.
- I want to major in statistics. I could also major in finance or marketing, but not on purpose (just if, bottom-up, I take enough coursework that interests me).
- I am standing by the "waive all you can" philosophy that I heard is the best, but would like your input too (and to know which parts of core are more or less waive-worth anyway).

So, my tentative pre-term registration goes as follows:

Pre-term:
- Basic math review
- Stat basic course
- Financial Accounting review (I know this, just not the American peculiarities and need a refresh nonetheless)
- Managerial Economics basic (could also try Review, but I remember little about micro)

Waive:

- BPUB/LGST 621 Government/Legal by credential (I have lots of coursework)
- MKTG 621 AND 622 by credential (I majored in marketing in undergrad, 622 may be partial since I did not do SABRE, yet there are analytical marketing classes that interest me and I could take in place of 622)
- MGMT 654 Competitive Strategy by credential
- MGMT 621 Organization

The things I am undecided/missing information about:

- ACCT 620: I was think about waiving partially and doing the accelerated course, provided I can take an interesting class instead in the timeframe. What's your input?
- MGEC 621: I can substitute this with Game Theory (BPUB784), that is not offered in first semester though. Is it worth it or should I take the regular class instead)

So I am:

- Taking no waiver exam in August (credential or nothing, I am already bothered by the online math exam);
- Take the full Finance coursework (nothing in preterm)
- Take the full Math/Stats (obviously)
- Ignoring Marketing (though lots of electives interest me)
- Waiving General Management classes as much as I can

My open points:

- What's the tradeoff between customizing the courses and missing out on cohort life (when waiving as much as I want to do, i.e. not all but a sizeable part)
- Is it doable/easy to take electives in the fall term of 1st year, both from a scheduling and workload/difficulty POV?
- If I waive a class, can I still take electives which list it as prerequisite?

* Boothians need not apply!
Waivers (Wharton et al.)   [#permalink] 22 Jun 2009, 02:20