Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 18:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wake Forest Babcock MBA: Done In A Day Program

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Georgetown, UNC, UCLA, Duke, Wake Forest
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Wake Forest Babcock MBA: Done In A Day Program [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 14:31
I did my undergrad at WFU and have kept Babcock in mind for my MBA for awhile now. They have a unique admissions program, called Done In A Day, whereby you don't do the essay requirements but sit for a panel-style interview. You are given a decision within 24 hours after your interview!

I know Babcock has fallen from the rankings lately (going from second tier to off the face of BW), but I think it's an interesting admissions process and look forward to trying it out. If anyone did the DiaD program on December 6th, let us know how it went.

I myself am doing the program in January. Friday night, a dinner with students, faculty and alumni. Saturday, mock class, tour, and the panel interview. I'm hopeful by the time I reach Charlotte, I'll have an admit in my pocket! My theory is that more schools will start to do things like this, if successful, in order to alleviate some of the deadlines. Obviously not everyone can participate (Wake allows only two days for these programs) so selectivity is very high.

What's everyone's thoughts on this?

http://omnemba.blogspot.com

Current Student
Schools: Fuqua '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Re: Wake Forest Babcock MBA: Done In A Day Program [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 15:15
Omne wrote:
I did my undergrad at WFU and have kept Babcock in mind for my MBA for awhile now. They have a unique admissions program, called Done In A Day, whereby you don't do the essay requirements but sit for a panel-style interview. You are given a decision within 24 hours after your interview!

I know Babcock has fallen from the rankings lately (going from second tier to off the face of BW), but I think it's an interesting admissions process and look forward to trying it out. If anyone did the DiaD program on December 6th, let us know how it went.

I myself am doing the program in January. Friday night, a dinner with students, faculty and alumni. Saturday, mock class, tour, and the panel interview. I'm hopeful by the time I reach Charlotte, I'll have an admit in my pocket! My theory is that more schools will start to do things like this, if successful, in order to alleviate some of the deadlines. Obviously not everyone can participate (Wake allows only two days for these programs) so selectivity is very high.

What's everyone's thoughts on this?

I think its a noble idea but only feasible for a midrange school like Babcock that doesn't have a huge glut of applicants. How detailed is the 'panel' interview compared to a regular interview?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Wake Forest Babcock MBA: Done In A Day Program [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2009, 15:25
This post received
KUDOS
Well, I attended the Showcase Saturday event on January 24th, also doing their Done In A Day program. It was a great experience.

The events included a speech and Q&A with the new Dean (former CEO of Pepsico), info from admissions director/financial aid office/career management center. We then had a mock class, which was just awesome. Kenny kept everything light and fun while still teaching and fostering debate among 30+ wide-eyed MBA applicants. After this we went to another room and had a panel Q&A with several current students, getting their take on the Babcock experience. Concentration-specific lunch groups were formed (I sat in on the marketing lunch), which gave great insight into the functional areas of the program. A quick tour, and the day was nearly done.

The Done In A Day interviews started at 1:30 and went for a few hours. Each of the 16 applicants was interviewed by three other people, a mix of AdCom and Faculty. I had two faculty and one career management person. It sometimes felt like I was up against a firing squad, but we tried to keep it light. I was really grilled on other schools I'm interested in, even being asked "Let's say you're admitted to Georgetown and UCLA, full rides. Where do you go and why?" Never expected questions like that.

We were told we would get notice starting around 9PM. I was called at 6:30 with great news. Not only was I admitted, but I was selected as a Dean's Scholar. Essentially, full-tuition scholarship, yearly stipend and they'll pay for my international abroad trip! I was pretty pumped about this, and don't know if any other school can match that offer. They're flying me down in March for Scholar's Weekend which will be fun.

Anyway, I met some cool people there and I think Babcock is certainly an up and coming school. They're increasing the faculty and CMC staff and looking at future expansion. I think it's an exciting time to join.

Current Student
Schools: Kellogg '11 (MMM)

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 2

Re: Wake Forest Babcock MBA: Done In A Day Program [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2009, 04:04
Hey congrats on the scholarship Omni, and great post about your experiences at Wake, +1. I am curious though why, even with a significantly sweetened deal at Wake, you are going to Georgetown.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Wake Forest Babcock MBA: Done In A Day Program [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2009, 04:18
domtri33 wrote:
Hey congrats on the scholarship Omni, and great post about your experiences at Wake, +1. I am curious though why, even with a significantly sweetened deal at Wake, you are going to Georgetown.

I haven't been accepted at Georgetown yet, only on the Waitlist. Isn't blue the color for that? Or did I goof?

Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 1

Re: Wake Forest Babcock MBA: Done In A Day Program [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2009, 07:15
Omne wrote:
domtri33 wrote:

I haven't been accepted at Georgetown yet, only on the Waitlist. Isn't blue the color for that? Or did I goof?

I think the general consensus is that orange/yellow = waitlisted and Blue = matriculating
Current Student

Re: Wake Forest Babcock MBA: Done In A Day Program [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2009, 10:39
Speaking of colors, how do I change the color of the text within the "schools" section. I will admit, I am not exactly the most message board savvy user.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 674 [0], given: 781

Re: Wake Forest Babcock MBA: Done In A Day Program [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2009, 10:43
domtri33 wrote:
Speaking of colors, how do I change the color of the text within the "schools" section. I will admit, I am not exactly the most message board savvy user.

5-t74316
Current Student

Re: Wake Forest Babcock MBA: Done In A Day Program [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2009, 11:37
Thank you.
Re: Wake Forest Babcock MBA: Done In A Day Program   [#permalink] 27 Jan 2009, 11:37