Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 00:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wall Street-Bound Graduates Watch, Wait and Worry

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 4

Wall Street-Bound Graduates Watch, Wait and Worry [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 07:17
This is an interesting read, thought I'd share it with you folks.

http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/ ... and-worry/
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

Re: Wall Street-Bound Graduates Watch, Wait and Worry [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 07:26
ryguy904 wrote:
This is an interesting read, thought I'd share it with you folks.

http://dealbook.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/ ... and-worry/

I saw that yesterday. I think that most people's jobs will stay unless they are joining particularly troubled banks/groups. Bonuses are sure to go down across the board. Future bankers will have to make the decision on whether the 80 hour work weeks are worth it for only a slight premium to other post-MBA careers in their initial years until the economy turns around.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 4

Re: Wall Street-Bound Graduates Watch, Wait and Worry [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 07:32
Here's the answer on how many BSC job offers will be kept by JPM.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/080404/jpmorgan_bear.html
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

Re: Wall Street-Bound Graduates Watch, Wait and Worry [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 08:07
ouch

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

Re: Wall Street-Bound Graduates Watch, Wait and Worry [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 12:21
As far as I can tell, only Bear (among banks) is not honoring summer offers. Of course, Bear isn't in control of their own boat any more and and isn't going to be around to honor offers, so that is no surprise. The other thing to note is that even in the fall Bear (along with Citi) was in a bad position - meltdowns of Bear controlled hedge funds signaled coming problems - and Bear was among the least popular destinations for people interested in banking.

I think the most concerning problem is that if things continue to suck through the summer, it might be really difficult secure a full-time offer. This might lead to more people looking for jobs as 2Ys when schools starts back up in the fall. I think it could be difficult to land full-time offers next fall.

The other big issue is that firms have been laying off 1st and 2nd year associates. That really sucks. The silver lining is that the pain we're feeling now could lead to spectacular growth (and money and opportunities) when we actually hit the full-time job market. Those of us that are 1Ys now will be graduating next summer, and after relocation and training and such, be contributing employees at the start of 2010. If we're in the midst of a recession right now, things should be heating up by then. Looking back, 2002-2003 was an excellent time to be entering the job market - at least for those who survived the downturn with jobs.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 0

Re: Wall Street-Bound Graduates Watch, Wait and Worry [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2008, 14:47
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 6

Re: Wall Street-Bound Graduates Watch, Wait and Worry [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2008, 17:19
That guy is only 25? Recruiting has aged him.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Wall Street-Bound Graduates Watch, Wait and Worry [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2008, 06:48
3underscore wrote:
That guy is only 25? Recruiting has aged him.

Ya, I probably would have guessed close to a decade older. Hopefully its just a bad picture.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 0

Re: Wall Street-Bound Graduates Watch, Wait and Worry [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2008, 13:40
The gist of that article seems to be that in a down economy (especially one like this one where financials have been hit hard) fewer people go into investment banking, and as a result lifetime salaries wind up being much lower. I think the most relevant point raised is that even after the economy turns around, it's difficult for students who enter the workforce during a down economy to switch jobs. I think this is something we sensed this past fall - in fact I had a conversation with a recruiter who agreed that most people (at least those interested in banking) will be pretty much locked into their summer firms because there likely won't be much 2Y hiring next year. I'd also agree with the article that when the economy recovers at some point down the road it will be really difficult for people who took jobs in other industries to switch into the industry.

I also agree that the guy in the photo looks a lot older than 25..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross 2010

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

Re: Wall Street-Bound Graduates Watch, Wait and Worry [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 09:07
I totally agree that trying to get a full-time offer this fall will be difficult. I graduated undergrad in 03 and for my class (and 01 and 02) banks for the most part were only making full time offers to their intern classes. The most irritating part about this is that they would still come to job fairs to "maintain their relationships with schools." I mean we knew they weren't really recruiting for interns in September....
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Wall Street-Bound Graduates Watch, Wait and Worry [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 10:36
The same thing happened to me for tech recruiting. I graduated in March of '03, and no one was actually hiring, although they would all come to the job fairs. They didn't even accept resumes most of the time.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Wall Street-Bound Graduates Watch, Wait and Worry [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 11:20
same here, '03 was not fun to graduate from u. hope i dont' have to deal with that again when i finish mba in '10.
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 10

Re: Wall Street-Bound Graduates Watch, Wait and Worry [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 21:49
conversely '03 was boom time in the UK for tech. 01/02 was bad, contract rates fell from around $150USD per hour to $100USD and demand was low. Some people who were contracting failed to land a contract for 2 years.
Re: Wall Street-Bound Graduates Watch, Wait and Worry   [#permalink] 08 Apr 2008, 21:49