Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Apr 2014, 07:58

STARTING SHORTLY:

Dealing with a Ding - Webinar by GMATClub and Admissionado Consulting.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wall Street: Profiles in Panic

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 169 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Wall Street: Profiles in Panic [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2008, 14:22
This post received
KUDOS
Really interesting couple of articles that I dug into today. Makes me glad to be poor.

http://www.vanityfair.com/magazine/2009 ... rentPage=1

http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/node/70923

Soon, says wealth manager Alexandra Lebenthal, the Blake and Grigsby Somersets will find out what they’re really made of. “Were their lifestyle, friends, and even marriage based on living a certain way, without limits, or do they have the values to make it through the tough times?”

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wall Street: Profiles in Panic [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2008, 14:28
“Why should I pay $250,000 for a private plane,” he said to a friend, “when I can pay $20,000 to fly commercial first class?”

It seems they are not yet that 'poor'

Its just a temporary cut back...

The one who flies is worthy. The one who is worthy flies. The one who doesn't fly isn't worthy

Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wall Street: Profiles in Panic [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2008, 14:53
All I have to say is that if 'Blake & Grigsby' didn't have some kind of protection, like puts on his Lehman equity, and had $9 million in exposure to one stock, then they deserved to lose everything they had due to stupidity.

He may have been smart enough to become a millionaire, but that's like only being strong enough to swim halfway across a river. You also have to be smart enough to stay a millionaire.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Wall Street: Profiles in Panic [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2008, 15:10
Kudos, interesting articles!
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wall Street: Profiles in Panic [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2008, 15:19
This one is also excellent:

http://www.newyorksocialdiary.com/nysd/guestdiary

In the midst of the continuing body count of jobs lost and houses in foreclosure, Mimi and John’s extravagant lifestyle is beginning to seem like a world that never really existed. The idea of buying a second apartment at a cost of more than the total annual income of entire towns in parts of America just to showcase one’s art or to prevent the irritation of a neighboring renovation, seems so overly indulgent as to border on silly. Sadder still is that twenty good years in the lives of two people amounted to a bubble inflated life devoid any real sense of values, let alone love and partnership.

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wall Street: Profiles in Panic [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2008, 19:23
jb32 wrote:
All I have to say is that if 'Blake & Grigsby' didn't have some kind of protection, like puts on his Lehman equity, and had $9 million in exposure to one stock, then they deserved to lose everything they had due to stupidity.

He may have been smart enough to become a millionaire, but that's like only being strong enough to swim halfway across a river. You also have to be smart enough to stay a millionaire.

Understood. Equity has its way of disappearing overnight. I definitely don't think they were necessarily way out of line with their spending though. If I made $6M cash in 2006 and $3M cash in 2007, I would have probably spent $1.4-1.5M/year of that as well.

By the way, jb or anyone else, do you know what the restrictions are on restricted stock grants? i.e. Lets say that "Blake Somerset" had accumulated $50M of Lehman shares by the beginning of 2008 that he was holding on to in good faith to show the firm that he was a loyal Managing Director. If he got an offer to head on over to a rival bank in early 2008, would he be able to cash out a majority of his Lehman holdings (whatever % is no longer restricted) and run?

Lastly, the maintenance and mortgage figure of $120,000 for the Park Avenue apartment seems a little bit off unless he put down a substantial down payment. That would realistically get you what, a 1400 sq ft. apartment for a family of 5?

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Darden, Stern, CBS, Johnson, Fuqua

Kudos [?]: 9 [2] , given: 0

Re: Wall Street: Profiles in Panic [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2008, 20:41
This post received
KUDOS
agold wrote:

By the way, jb or anyone else, do you know what the restrictions are on restricted stock grants? i.e. Lets say that "Blake Somerset" had accumulated $50M of Lehman shares by the beginning of 2008 that he was holding on to in good faith to show the firm that he was a loyal Managing Director. If he got an offer to head on over to a rival bank in early 2008, would he be able to cash out a majority of his Lehman holdings (whatever % is no longer restricted) and run?

It was mentioned previously, but I agree- if you have that much exposure to a single stock, you HAVE to do something to protect yourself. It doesn't matter how safe you think the company is, it's just plain stupid to hold onto that much risk in a single name. I know of a number of strategies that are available where you can still "own" the stock, so you appear to be loyal, but you hedge yourself on the other side. It's done quite frequently (I have seen 10-15 examples of this at work in the past year).

Also, most stock grants/options vest over time, so depending on your tenure, a certain percentage will have vested and you can exercise or sell out of the position and take (what's left of) the cash. As for the remainder, I have seen people change companies and have the new firm match their previous company's stock with current company stock (ie. a trader leaves GS for MS, so MS matches his restricted GS stock with MS stock).
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wall Street: Profiles in Panic [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2008, 21:08
Thanks for your insight, LeftOut. Kudos.

Manager
Manager
Schools: Darden, Stern, CBS, Johnson, Fuqua

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Wall Street: Profiles in Panic [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 06:16
agold wrote:
Lastly, the maintenance and mortgage figure of $120,000 for the Park Avenue apartment seems a little bit off unless he put down a substantial down payment. That would realistically get you what, a 1400 sq ft. apartment for a family of 5?

Forgot to mention last night, but I assume that $120k number is the cost for the year (ie. mortgage/maintainence costs $10k per month), not the total size of the mortgage. Even in Manhattan, I hope $10k/month gets you more than 1400 square feet. My apt is a little less than 1400 square feet, and my roommates and I pay about $4200/month. I doubt my landlord is losing 5 grand per month by having us live there.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 37 [2] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wall Street: Profiles in Panic [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 06:55
This post received
KUDOS
agold, do you have some kind of sexual obsession w/ jeremy piven?
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wall Street: Profiles in Panic [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 08:32
LeftOut wrote:
agold wrote:

Forgot to mention last night, but I assume that $120k number is the cost for the year (ie. mortgage/maintainence costs $10k per month), not the total size of the mortgage. Even in Manhattan, I hope $10k/month gets you more than 1400 square feet. My apt is a little less than 1400 square feet, and my roommates and I pay about $4200/month. I doubt my landlord is losing 5 grand per month by having us live there.

You're right, I was a bit off. I guess a fairly "standard" apartment on Park Ave would run $10,000/month in mortgage expenses. Maybe something along the lines of 2000 - 2400 sq ft.?

Re: Wall Street: Profiles in Panic   [#permalink] 05 Dec 2008, 08:32