Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 10:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wanting advice~Should I write an optional essay

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Wanting advice~Should I write an optional essay [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 22:20
Hello, everyone, I am applying for business schools, but my GMAT score is pretty low, too shameful~610(V:22 Q:50) It is my second time for it, the prior score is 600 :( ....V:25 Q:46
I am a Chinese student, so I think that's why I did not get very high score in verbal on one hand. On the other hand, I did not have enough time to prepare this exam. I did not prepare when I took the first exam. After that, I had two months before the second exam. And during the two months, I was doing my internship as working in a factory which allowed me only to study at night. And after that, I had no time for further exams before my application deadline~So that's my situation~
Now I am hesitate to write an optional essay, I want to ask some advice from you about whether I should put this into my essay~Or what can I do?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE: Project Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 106 [1] , given: 149

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Wanting advice~Should I write an optional essay [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2012, 05:31
This post received
KUDOS
I think it will depend in part on which schools you are applying to. If you are looking at top 10 schools then it's going to be tough to overcome that GMAT, if you are looking towards the lower end of the top 25 then you aren't too far off from some of the averages.

Don't write an essay saying you didn't have time to study. We all work full-time jobs, we all have to make time in our weekends and limited free-time to study. However if you can write a short essay explaining how your English language skills are actually very strong and explain why you believe the low verbal score on your GMAT doesn't accurately reflect your capabilities then that would be worth it, IMO. Does that make sense?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.1
WE: Accounting (Other)

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 27

Re: Wanting advice~Should I write an optional essay [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 18:47
This post received
KUDOS
I don't think there's anything wrong with using the optional essay if you feel like you can better explain who you are. But I wouldn't whine, complain or provide excuses. I agree with what Mappleby said. Turn this into a positive (any way you can!) and show them that you are indeed an amazing candidate.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Wanting advice~Should I write an optional essay [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2012, 00:59
thankyou so much, mappleby and kas1, your advices are pretty helpful to me and I know what to do now~ :-D
Re: Wanting advice~Should I write an optional essay   [#permalink] 13 Oct 2012, 00:59