Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 13:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

War and Bicycle

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

War and Bicycle [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2010, 14:42
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

33% (02:53) correct 67% (01:16) wrong based on 10 sessions
Hi Find below a question that a friend shared with Me (Will provide the so called OA after some posts)
1.Cass: War and peace are mutually exclusive. Therefore, a nation cannot be preparing for both war and peace simultaneously.
Stanislaus: But aren’t the U.S. and the U.S.S.R. doing precisely that? They are spending vast amounts of money on war research and armaments while at the same time they are negotiating trade agreements and nuclear arms treaties that are designed to secure peace. Although they are maintaining a shaky peaceful coexistence, they are preparing for both war and peace simultaneously.
In order to refute Cass’s conclusion, Stanislaus
(A) demonstrates that a nation can be at war and at peace at the same time
(B) points out that there are several different meanings to the words “war” and “peace”
(C) uses a different meaning for the term “simultaneously” than Cass does
(D) shows that preparing for war and preparing for peace are not mutually exclusive
(E) changes an argument based on a definition into one based on an ethical consideration

2.Just as a bicycle chain may be too tight, so may one’s carefulness and conscientiousness be so tense as to hinder the running of one’s mind.
Which one of the following most closely parallels the reasoning used in the argument above?
(A) Just as a clock may be wound too tightly, so may one’s time be spent fruitlessly in the pursuit of perfection.
(B) Just as a carousel may spin too quickly, so may one’s rapid concentration on several problems prevent a resolution of difficulties.
(C) Just as a machine may be oiled too much, so may one’s heavy drinking of alcoholic beverages lead to complete dissipation.
(D) Just as a raging river may be frozen into stillness during the winter, so may one’s career falter at certain times of the year.
(E) Just as a boxer may become too tense before a big fight, so may one’s personal concerns stand in the way of professional success.

This time , its my time .

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: War and Bicycle [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2010, 19:59
1: should be D

2: C
Intern
Intern

Re: War and Bicycle [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2010, 22:10
bipinsingh wrote:
1: should be D

2: C

Please enlighten the explainations.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: War and Bicycle [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2010, 07:58
I think D and B

1. D --- B and D are close; but I think the author shows that prepping for the 2 can happen at the same time
"spending vast amounts of money on war research"; "negotiating trade agreements and nuclear arms treaties that are designed to secure peace" - war and peace are mentioned more as the objectives here rather than as different "meanings" to the words

2. B -- the example of the chain is based on the following logic in my view:
Too much of a 'good' thing (what ever the function of the item may be) ----> once that 'good thing' is copied then it 'hinders' or slows down (note it doesn't completely stop the activity; just makes it more difficult)
B follows this logic - the carousel spinning too fast ---> rapid concentration on several things; 'prevent' resolution (not eliminate), makes it more difficult
Intern
Intern

Re: War and Bicycle [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2010, 08:51
You are Right about the 1st one - OA is D

however the OA for 2nd is C .

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: War and Bicycle [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2010, 09:13
i just googled for this question; on this thread they say OA for the second one is in fact B: http://www.urch.com/forums/gmat-critica ... nes-2.html

What is the source for these questions?
Intern
Intern

Re: War and Bicycle [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2010, 10:34
gmat1011 wrote:
i just googled for this question; on this thread they say OA for the second one is in fact B: http://www.urch.com/forums/gmat-critica ... nes-2.html

What is the source for these questions?

Source not sure dude , A friend gave this as a challenge , i did the 1st one right and the 2nd one wrong as u did .

wanted to confirm the Line of reasoning so posted it on this forum.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: War and Bicycle [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2010, 23:11
1 D
2. C
Re: War and Bicycle   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2010, 23:11