Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:00 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
Re: War on Quant! [#permalink]
You may like to dig into jeff sets and mgmat advanced quant. Also, check out my signature below for some great advise by the instructors.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V42
Send PM
In all seriousness I advise you to consider why you want a higher/more balanced score. A 710 is a competitive score for any school and is just one piece of admission criteria. Is the 2-3 months you spend studying to possibly improve your score worth it? Would that time be better served to strengthen the other aspects of admission criteria being considered?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi 2victory

Thanks for your comment, but given that I've been consistently scoring above the 80th percentile quant mark on all practice tests (Kaplan, Manhattan and GMATPrep), I really think I could do better when retaking. Verbal has also been consistent at the 45+ level, so I really think that with very little effort, I can leverage up my score quite significantly.

At the same time, it is said that schools definitely do look very strongly at the quant component, so I'd like to do everything to fill the tick box for GMAT as well as possible. (besides, 41 is juts plain bad.)

Cheers.

Steve.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
GPA: 1
Send PM
SteveFranken wrote:
Hi 2victory

Thanks for your comment, but given that I've been consistently scoring above the 80th percentile quant mark on all practice tests (Kaplan, Manhattan and GMATPrep), I really think I could do better when retaking. Verbal has also been consistent at the 45+ level, so I really think that with very little effort, I can leverage up my score quite significantly.

At the same time, it is said that schools definitely do look very strongly at the quant component, so I'd like to do everything to fill the tick box for GMAT as well as possible. (besides, 41 is juts plain bad.)

Cheers.

Steve.

I would say that if you could pull a 47 V, go for a 47 Q at least. It's not that hard. Read through "Number Properties", remember the combinatorics - if you have time, go through Sackmann's quant book and his extreme set. You should be set after these.

A 770 is definitely not the same as 710, trust me -i've observed examples.

I'm taking GMAT next month, just after a month's study (I started June 1) - because I'm basically studying 10 hours a day - got nothing else to do. I got 800 for my SAT Math II .....and presumably, I won't need to worry about GMAT math that much.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64889 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
SteveFranken wrote:
Hi all,

Like many of you out here, I've done my GMAT two days ago only to underperform quite significantly on the real thing. In my practice CATS, I was scoring around 730-760, with verbal around 44-47 and quant around 45-50. On the real thing, I ended up with a decent 710 for a first try but an incredibly lopsided result of Q41 (57 percentile) and V47 (99).

I felt that the questions on quant were far harder than on my practice ones, and probably a bit of bad luck was in there too, with the test predominantly throwing algebra and number properties questions at me, rather than some of the topics that I am much better at like proportions/sets/probability etc. I also felt that the first couple of questions didn't really make sense, which I would presume were some of the "experimental" questions.

In any case, I've decided to declare war on the quant section and to really try and get that quant score up in time for a retake in around 2-3 months time. :)

What resources would you guys recommend apart from the official materials and Manhattan strategy guides for advanced quant material?

Steve

My signature has the link to my blog. Check it out for discussions on advanced applications of Quant concepts. Also, you can check out the Veritas 'Advanced Word Problems' book which has only above 700 level problems. It also discusses alternative strategies you can use to solve these questions.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Quantitative Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts