Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 16:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

R2 Chat with current students/alum - POST YOUR QUESTIONS NOW

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 389 [1] , given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
R2 Chat with current students/alum - POST YOUR QUESTIONS NOW [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2010, 11:09
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Folks,

We're getting ready for our R2 chat. As usual, we will have 4-5 hosts from different schools fielding your questions. The first portion of the chat will be canned q&a with a moderated q&a at the end.

The chat will take place on:
Thursday Nov 18th at 7:00PM EST (11PM GMT)

The chat will take place in the Mibbit chan.
http://gmatclub.com/chat/

Help/Guide on using the chat:
how-to-use-chat-76284.html

Post your questions here. Also, post any questions about the chat here.

Please note: Similar questions will be grouped together and made general.

A log will be posted in this thread (after it has been sanitized).

Thanks,

mohater

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 389 [0], given: 234

Re: R2 Chat with current students/alum - POST YOUR QUESTIONS NOW [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2010, 11:05
bump

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Wharton/Lauder Class of 2013
WE 1: Big Four Advisory
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 188 [1] , given: 38

GMAT Tests User
Re: R2 Chat with current students/alum - POST YOUR QUESTIONS NOW [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2010, 13:27
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Mohater, thanks for organizing this. It might help to note what schools will be represented to get the questions rolling.

GMAT Guide: 10-critical-factors-to-beat-the-gmat-106790.html

GMAT Forum Moderator

Re: R2 Chat with current students/alum - POST YOUR QUESTIONS NOW [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2010, 06:04
Good idea staind:

Current host list by schools (still tentative):

Schulich
Booth
Kellogg
MIT
Ross
HBS
Tuck

Thanks,

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cambridge (R2-Matriculating), Nyenrode (Accepted), Oxford (R2-Interview invite)
WE 1: Army officer (Corps of Engineers)
WE 2: Air Quality Control Engineer
WE 3: Water Resources Engineer
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 19

Re: R2 Chat with current students/alum - POST YOUR QUESTIONS NOW [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 18:29
This post received
KUDOS
Unfortunately, I won't be able to attend the chat, but I do have a few questions. Will you post a summary of the chat like was done for the R1 chat?

Questions as follows:

1. One of the schools to which I'm applying requests an academic reference. They do say that if I have difficulty obtaining an academic reference, that I can use a second business reference. I graduated from college 8 years ago and I don't really stay in touch with any of my professors. Is it a very poor reflection not to use an academic reference?

2. Most of the schools to which I'm applying ask for a resume, but then also ask for the work experience to be input into their application form. My difficulty is that while my time in the Army was technically 1 job for 1 employer with 3 different positions, the positions are all very different. Do I try to capture all 3 positions in the job description? Or do I separate them out (for schools that have the space to do so) into 3 different jobs?

3. When do you tell your boss that you're leaving? I'm not asking my current employer for a recommendation letter as I haven't been there for all that long and I've barely been challenged. So I haven't told my boss yet that I'm applying to MBA programs (all of them are full-time programs). When's the best time to tell your boss that you're leaving?

That's all I've got for now; if I think of any more, I'll update this post. Thanks for organizing the chat!
GMAT Forum Moderator

Re: R2 Chat with current students/alum - POST YOUR QUESTIONS NOW [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 16:25
Last bump. Chat is tomorrow.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: R2 Chat with current students/alum - POST YOUR QUESTIONS NOW [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 16:46
Dear Students,
Thanks for taking time to answer question on this board.

I was wondering if you can give any insights on the merit scholarship award process. I would be interested to know what you think are factors in determining merit scholarships. Needless to say, I understand that merit scholarships are awarded to any applicant who the adcom really wants in a class. I was wondering if there can be more insight into what qualities such a candidate might possess.

For example, while a school might have mean GMAT of 720, and applicants over 700 are seriously considered, would a GMAT score of 800 really help the merit scholarship award decision?

Insights/stories appreciated.

Thanks!

Paul
Stanford Thread Master
Schools: Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 68

Re: R2 Chat with current students/alum - POST YOUR QUESTIONS NOW [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 18:19
mohater: possible to point me to the link for the round one chat? Are you really just starting from scratch with the chat questions? I just don't have a lot of context for what the focus of this chat is. Keeping in mind I don't really have any context for this, here's a list of questions you could ask your panel.

Why did you choose to pursue an MBA?
How did you choose the schools that you applied to?
What made you choose the school you ultimately attended?
Knowing what you know now, what if anything would you have done differently during your own application process?
What one question do you think prospective students should ask current and recent students of the schools they are researching?
What's the best way to pick people to ask for recommendations?
Describe how you approached the essay writing process.

Manager
Manager
Schools: Cambridge (R2-Matriculating), Nyenrode (Accepted), Oxford (R2-Interview invite)
WE 1: Army officer (Corps of Engineers)
WE 2: Air Quality Control Engineer
WE 3: Water Resources Engineer
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 19

Re: R2 Chat with current students/alum - POST YOUR QUESTIONS NOW [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 22:20
Here's the thread for the R1 chat. The chat summary is posted near the end of the thread: http://gmatclub.com/forum/online-chat-with-admits-current-students-97381.html

I like your questions, though; I think those are always valid.
Re: R2 Chat with current students/alum - POST YOUR QUESTIONS NOW   [#permalink] 17 Nov 2010, 22:20