Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 13:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Warning before doing Kaplan CAT #1

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.86
WE: Analyst (Advertising and PR)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [2] , given: 3

Warning before doing Kaplan CAT #1 [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2013, 05:07
This post received
KUDOS
Today, I did my first kaplan CAT that comes along with kaplan premier 2014 book. Guess what? I didn't know that Kaplan CAT#1 included both AWA&IR since the link to the CAT said," GMAT Diagnostic (CAT 1)." I thought that the diagnostic test would only test on quant and verbal sections. As a result, I was caught off guard and did badly on IR (score of 2) because I was not even prepared for this part. Overall, my score was 680 (Q 50 V32). So, I just want to share this experience with you guys that the first CAT includes both AWA&IR.

Don't be afraid to fail, but be afraid not to try

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.7

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 22

Re: Warning before doing Kaplan CAT #1 [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2013, 05:34
This post received
KUDOS
Juz2play wrote:
Today, I did my first kaplan CAT that comes along with kaplan premier 2014 book. Guess what? I didn't know that Kaplan CAT#1 included both AWA&IR since the link to the CAT said," GMAT Diagnostic (CAT 1)." I thought that the diagnostic test would only test on quant and verbal sections. As a result, I was caught off guard and did badly on IR (score of 2) because I was not even prepared for this part. Overall, my score was 680 (Q 50 V32). So, I just want to share this experience with you guys that the first CAT includes both AWA&IR.

how many mistakes did you commit in the verbal section?? nice score btw!!!!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.86
WE: Analyst (Advertising and PR)

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 3

Re: Warning before doing Kaplan CAT #1 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2013, 20:18
This post received
KUDOS
brethart999 wrote:
Juz2play wrote:

Hi, my accuracy for verbal section was around 50%. My MGMAT score taken yesterday was 640 (Q45 V33). But, I didn't do the OG 13 yet. I only finished Kaplan Premier, manhattan guides, and OG verbal and quant 2nd edition. So, I just wanna test myself where I was before doing the OG and unexpectedly saw the IR in the first CAT. Cheer!

Don't be afraid to fail, but be afraid not to try

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 187 [2] , given: 2

Re: Warning before doing Kaplan CAT #1 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2013, 20:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
brethart999 wrote:
Juz2play wrote:

Agreed, great score! Sorry we caught you off guard, brethart, but our tests wouldn't be much good if they didn't reflect the entire test--AWA and IR included!

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.7

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 22

Re: Warning before doing Kaplan CAT #1 [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2013, 21:10
This post received
KUDOS
KapTeacherEli wrote:
brethart999 wrote:
Juz2play wrote:

Agreed, great score! Sorry we caught you off guard, brethart, but our tests wouldn't be much good if they didn't reflect the entire test--AWA and IR included!

Hi..are your AWA in your test series examined and scores given??? and what would you suggest to improve on IR skills?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Warning before doing Kaplan CAT #1 [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2013, 08:47
KapTeacherEli wrote:
brethart999 wrote:
Juz2play wrote:

Dear Eli,

Since this post has go your attention as you are one of the official Kaplan representative, I would like to ask a question about my Kaplan CAT 1 scores.

In the Quant section, I answered 21 correct and 15 incorrect and have been awarded 98 percentile!!
In the Verbal section, I answered 23 correct and 17 incorrect and have been awarded 69 percentile (Seems realistic)
Overall, I have been awarded an over all score of 720 (94 Percentile), which makes me extremely happy but also a bit skeptical as i answered so many questions incorrectly!

Could you please help confirm if these scores are not inflated?

Regards,
Surya

One Last Shot

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Warning before doing Kaplan CAT #1 [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2013, 05:53
Dear Eli,

Awaiting an official response from your side.

Regards,
Surya

One Last Shot

Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 187 [0], given: 2

Re: Warning before doing Kaplan CAT #1 [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2013, 17:17
Expert's post
surya167 wrote:
Dear Eli,

Awaiting an official response from your side.

Regards,
Surya

Hi Surya,

I pm'd you. Sorry for the wait, there have been several holidays this week and I've fallen a bit behind!

Best,

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 9

Re: Warning before doing Kaplan CAT #1 [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2013, 03:12
Hi Eli,

My concern is similar to Surya's.

I took Kaplan's CAT 1 and got a score of 740.

1. I can't see my raw scores on the Smart Reports page.
2. I've got 28 correct in QA (98%) and 19 correct in VA (53%). And despite the incredibly low accuracy in VA, I've scored a 740.

The score looks a bit inflated to me. Can you please help me understand this?

Thanks a ton!