Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 02:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Was just reading an article and came across this sentence:

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V46
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.49
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 85

GMAT ToolKit User
Was just reading an article and came across this sentence:  [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 08:07
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions

Quote:
John Boehner is fond of saying, "we won't raise anyone's taxes," as if the take-home pay of an Olive Garden waitress were inextricably bound up with whether Warren Buffett pays his capital gains as ordinary income or at a lower rate.

Is pay generally treated as plural? What's the general rule on words like this?

I'm still on the Quant part of my GMAT studying, so forgive me if this is an obvious one.

Thanks!

Glad I Retook: 730 (Q44 V46) to 760 (Q50 V44)

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kelley,Tepper,Carlson,Kenan Flager,Broad
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 119 [1] , given: 22

Re: Subject Verb Agreement - Pay is plural? [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 12:14
This post received
KUDOS
If I were you I would refer to MGMAT SC book for detail explanation.

This is the structure of the statement made in this article.

Posted from my mobile device Image

My dad once said to me: Son, nothing succeeds like success.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 80 [1] , given: 21

Re: Subject Verb Agreement - Pay is plural? [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 13:46
This post received
KUDOS
faro wrote:

Quote:
John Boehner is fond of saying, "we won't raise anyone's taxes," as if the take-home pay of an Olive Garden waitress were inextricably bound up with whether Warren Buffett pays his capital gains as ordinary income or at a lower rate.

Is pay generally treated as plural? What's the general rule on words like this?

I'm still on the Quant part of my GMAT studying, so forgive me if this is an obvious one.

Thanks!

Hii faro,

This sentence uses subjunctive mood. This particular usage is called hypothetical subjunctive. The subjunctive case is used to convey a degree of unreality.' Pay' of oliver garden waitress is actually not bound up with whether Warren Buffett pays his capital gains as ordinary income or at a lower rate. john boehner only expresses as if it were. Subjunctive case is formed whenever you describe situation contrary to reality. For example if I am not rich , but I wish I were then I will say 'If I were rich' and not If I was rich. No matter what subject is, verb were is used in hypothetical subjunctive and not verb was. As jamifahad told you, please go through manhattan sentence correction guide to get better hold of all thing grammar related you need to know about Gmat.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 33 [1] , given: 21

Re: Subject Verb Agreement - Pay is plural? [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 21:52
This post received
KUDOS
yup... just a thumb rule... in subjunctive mood, even if the subject is singular, you WILL NOT use was.. it still is if i WERE !!

and as my friends quote... read thru the subjunctive mood topics in various books and your get the drift..
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.28
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 14

Re: Subject Verb Agreement - Pay is plural? [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 22:12
This post received
KUDOS
as others explained its a clear cut example of Subjuntive mood - Scenario 1, which is used to express a hypothetical confition ( "If I were a rich man")
** Words to look for : IF, AS THOUGH

credit to Slingfox

Cheers

[caption=]Remember: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.[/caption]

Re: Subject Verb Agreement - Pay is plural?   [#permalink] 07 Sep 2011, 22:12