Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 05:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Was wondering if you can provide an explanation on why my

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Was wondering if you can provide an explanation on why my [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 11:25
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

93% (02:11) correct 7% (01:21) wrong based on 15 sessions
Was wondering if you can provide an explanation on why my reasoning is false?

Q57: If the county continues to collect residential trash at current levels, landfills will soon be overflowing and parkland will need to be used in order to create more space. Charging each household a fee for each pound of trash it puts out for collection will induce residents to reduce the amount of trash they create; this charge will therefore protect the remaining county parkland.
WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING IS AN ASSUMPTION MADE IN DRAWING THE CONCLUSION ABOVE?

A) Residents will reduce the amount of trash they put out for collection by reducing the number of products they buy.
B) The collection fee will not significantly affect the purchasing power of most residents, even if their households do not reduce the amount of trash they put out.
C) The collection fee will not induce residents to dump their trash in the parklands illegally.
D) The beauty of the county parkland is an important issue for most of the county's residents.
E) Landfills outside the county's borders could be used as dumping sites for the county's trash.

I choose A. Here's why.
Conl: Charge will protect the remaining county parkland.
premise 1: Current level cont, landfills will overflow. Parkland will be needed for space.
premise 2: Charging ea. HH a fee for each lb of trash it puts out for collection will induce residents to reduce the amount of trash they create.

Premise 1 + Premise 2 = Concl. Therefore, this sounds like "feasibility of premise" type assumption problem. Doesn't (A) explain premise 2? The official ANS is C, however, I initially crossed it off since I thought it sounded Out of Scope (illegal dumping?). Is Choice C just a better answer than A?

Thanks for your help.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Director
Director
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help on OG#48 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 11:35
if residential trash is dumped in the parkland then additional fee will be collected from the residents to clean the parklan. so resident will not dump their trash in the park.

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help on OG#48 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 13:18
C it is. A does not talk about the fee.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help on OG#48 [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 18:10
+1 for C
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Help on OG#48 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 01:12
This post received
KUDOS
Conclusion: "this charge will therefore protect the remaining county parkland"

This is an assumption question, which means the answer choice has to be true in order for the conclusion to be true.

A is saying the residents will reduce the amount of trash they put out for collection by reducing the number of products they buy. The residents don't have to restrict the amount of things they buy to result in less trash. They can reduce trash by other methods such as recycling.

However, C has to be true in order to believe in the conclusion. If the fees induce the resident to dump their trash into the park, then the whole argument falls apart.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Help on OG#48 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 02:20
Samwong! Nice. Thanks for the clarification.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 yr IT

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 26

Re: Help on OG#48 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2011, 23:16
good one samwong.
u deserve a kudos

this time, we play for keeps

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 281 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help on OG#48 [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2011, 14:47
+1 C

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 2 IT
WE 2: 4 Software Analyst

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 57

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help on OG#48 [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2011, 10:47
thp510 wrote:

Q57: If the county continues to collect residential trash at current levels, landfills will soon be overflowing and parkland will need to be used in order to create more space. Charging each household a fee for each pound of trash it puts out for collection will induce residents to reduce the amount of trash they create; this charge will therefore protect the remaining county parkland.
WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING IS AN ASSUMPTION MADE IN DRAWING THE CONCLUSION ABOVE?

A) Residents will reduce the amount of trash they put out for collection by reducing the number of products they buy.
C) The collection fee will not induce residents to dump their trash in the parklands illegally.

yeah i can see how (A) can be a contender, but lets negate each and see which will hurt the conclusion more --

A) Residents WILL NOT reduce the amount of trash they put out for collection by reducing the number of products they buy.
C) The collection fee WILL induce residents to dump their trash in the parklands illegally.

you can see both hurt the conclusion, but (C) negated hurts the conclusion even more, b/c we're all about protecting the county parkland!

hope this helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help on OG#48 [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2011, 08:21
the conclusion is " this charge will therefore protect the remaining county parkland"

Only C acts as a best premise for the conclusion to hold true. Negating this, the conclusion will fall.
but "illegal dumping" kinda a through me off at first glance, but this choice is better than A.
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help on OG#48 [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2011, 10:56
this is not difficult , C

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help on OG#48 [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2011, 17:50
straight C by using negation.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Re: Help on OG#48   [#permalink] 26 Apr 2011, 17:50