Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 12:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wasn't allowed to sit for the GMAT exam

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GPA: 3.6
WE: Accounting (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Wasn't allowed to sit for the GMAT exam [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2013, 12:13
This is my story fellow GMCs!
Please bear with me and tell me if I have a good case.

I have been preparing for this test with the hope of getting to grad school this summer unfortunately, today was like a nightmare. This was supposed to be a retake.
I was scheduled to take my exam today, April 6,2013 at 12nn in Houston. I got to the testing center at 11:40 to check in. Pearson vue rep asked for my ID so i gave her my driver's license. She asked me for a passport and I told her I'm a citizen here and just got my citizenship back in January. So she asked for my US passport but I told her that the only proof I have is my Certificate of US citizenship but she said it's not valid because the information they have in the system was I'm still a resident of this country. Well, GMAC didn't update my citizenship status when I sent them an email on March 15th the same day I registered for the GMAT exam. I didn't get an email response from GMAC or whatsoever. I didn't log back in to GMAT.COM since then because I've been busy preparing for the test. Maybe part of it is my fault for not following up but I'm not going to beat myself up for that. The testing center wanted me to present them with my old passport which is not valid since I gave up my Filipino citizenship. It's like presenting her with an expired driver's license. I think it's absurd. She told me that I could take the test if I have my Philippine passport in 10MIN. THERE'S no waaay! The testing center was 15 miles away from where I live.
To cut the story short, I was so upset, cried like a baby and I told them that it's GMAC's fault for not updating my status. I did all the right thing but they didn't do theirs and now i have to pay for it.
I am going to call GMAC Monday with the hope of getting my exam rescheduled without me paying another $250. There's no way I'm paying for their negligence.

I'm still upset and I don't know what else to do.

Please help.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 441 [1] , given: 449

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Wasn't allowed to sit for the GMAT exam [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2013, 13:14
This post received
KUDOS
Sad that you had to go through all this. You are right in accepting that part of it is your fault.
Your best bet is to ask GMAC to reschedule the test. I think they would consider your request if you have enough evidence (email you sent + documents/passport). We've seen people get $250 refunded, so that should be no big deal. I'm not sure if they will do so (reschedule) within 31 days. So your summer plans might take a hit.

Anyhow, stay calm and good luck with the call.

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GPA: 3.6
WE: Accounting (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Wasn't allowed to sit for the GMAT exam [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2013, 13:25
Thanks jumsumtak!
I don't know about the 31 days. Neither did I take the exam nor cancel it. It was out of my control so I'm hoping they will reschedule me within this month.
Also, I don't understand why we can't personally change the country of citizenship on their website.
Sorry I'm just frustrated.

jumsumtak wrote:
Sad that you had to go through all this. You are right in accepting that part of it is your fault.
Your best bet is to ask GMAC to reschedule the test. I think they would consider your request if you have enough evidence (email you sent + documents/passport). We've seen people get $250 refunded, so that should be no big deal. I'm not sure if they will do so (reschedule) within 31 days. So your summer plans might take a hit.

Anyhow, stay calm and good luck with the call.
Re: Wasn't allowed to sit for the GMAT exam   [#permalink] 06 Apr 2013, 13:25