Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Nov 2014, 20:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Waste management companies, which collect waste for disposal

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Waste management companies, which collect waste for disposal [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2005, 18:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Waste management companies, which collect waste for disposal in landfills and incineration plants, report that disposable plastics make up an ever-increasing percentage of the wate they handle. It is clear that attempts to decrease the amount of plastic that people throw away in the garbage are failing.

Which one of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

A) Because plastics create harmful pollutants when burned, an increasing percentage of the plastics handled by waste management companies are being disposed of in landfills.

B) Although many plastics are recyclable, most of the plastics disposed of by waste management companies are not.

C) People are more likely to save and reuse plastic containers than containers made of heavier materials like glass or metal.

D) An increasing portion of the paper, glass, and metal cans that waste management companies used to handle is now being recycled.

E) While the percentage of products using plastic packaging is increasing, the total amount of plastic being manufactured has remained unchanged.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2005, 19:43
D. if increasing portion of the paper, glass, and metal cans that waste management companies used to handle is now being recycled, then plastics become major portion of the waste....
Director
Director
Followers: 1

[#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2005, 21:05
Why is A wrong here?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2005, 23:33
gmat2me2 wrote:
Why is A wrong here?

I think A is wrong because when people are disposing off the plastics they don't know whether it will end up in a landfill or an incinerator, which will not solve the problem of it being harmful when burnt.

I will go with B.

It's not over until it's OVER!

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2005, 06:08
kwasi7 wrote:
gmat2me2 wrote:
Why is A wrong here?

I think A is wrong because when people are disposing off the plastics they don't know whether it will end up in a landfill or an incinerator, which will not solve the problem of it being harmful when burnt.

I will go with B.

Kwasi,
I picked B too. But it's not the correct choice.
Try again!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2005, 07:29
I narrowed my choices to C and E. I will ultimately go with C, even though E is equally tempting.

Lets analyze the argument.

The premise of the argument is that Plastics make up an increasing percentage of the waste they handle.
The conclusion states that the attempts to decrease the amount of plastics that people throw away in the garbage are failing

To weaken this argument, we need to prove that people are actually decreasing the disposal of plastics. Only C, comes close to state that people tend to reuse plastics rather than throw them away.

A, B and D digress from the topic.

E too doesn't discuss whether the attempts to encourage people not to throw away plastic has helped.

Therefore C
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2005, 08:23
The answer is D

Lets say waste company used to handle 100 total waste containers
plastic - 60 = 60%
other - 40 = 40%

total = 60 + 40 = 100%

if D is correct
An increasing portion of the paper, glass, and metal cans that waste management companies used to handle is now being recycled
then

others is dcreasing (20%) because people are recycling it as per D
so plastic went up in %age (80%).

But actually the amount of plastic going in garbage has not gone up, it is same or may be low.

Hence D weakens the argument.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Jun 2005, 09:07
One more for D
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2005, 14:30
OG is 'D'
Himalaya & riteshgupta1 - great explanation. Thanks!
  [#permalink] 04 Jul 2005, 14:30