Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 May 2016, 17:39
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Water and resource management problems will be at the head

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Oct 2010
Posts: 180
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 146 [4] , given: 10

Water and resource management problems will be at the head [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2011, 12:39
4
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  65% (hard)

Question Stats:

41% (01:54) correct 59% (00:56) wrong based on 81 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Water and resource management problems will be at the head of the legislature’s list of concerns for the coming session.
(A) Water and resource management problems
(B) Problems of managing water and resources
(C) Problems in the management of water and other resources
(D) Problems of water and other resource management
(E) Resource management problems, including water
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 410
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 115

Reviews Badge
Re: sentence correction [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2011, 12:42
I think it is A.
How can C be the OA? It talks about ' other resources' and the sentence does not mention anything about that.
3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
User avatar
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 1712
Location: Peru
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 85

Kudos [?]: 697 [3] , given: 109

Re: sentence correction [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2011, 15:48
3
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
+1 C

I think this is a 700-level question. At least, this topic appears in the advanced chapters of the MGMAT SC.

These are my reasons:
A) The structure of this sentence implies that you also can re-write it in this way: "The problems of management of water and resource..."
IMO, you cannot re-write the sentence in this way. The MGMAT SC book mentions that if you cannot re-write the sentence in that way, the sentence is wrong. It seems that "problems" goes better with "in". That's why C is better.
(B) B sounds ackward.
(C) Correct: "Problems" goes better with "in".
(D) "Other" changes the meaning.
(E) Changes in the meaning.

I think I deserve kudos 8-)
_________________

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 18 Oct 2010
Posts: 410
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 115

Reviews Badge
Re: sentence correction [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2011, 18:14
metallicafan wrote:
+1 C

I think I deserve kudos 8-)

Done 8-)

I think I should read the MGMAT SC book - advanced chapters! I have not gone there and my test is next week!
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Oct 2010
Posts: 180
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 10

Re: sentence correction [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2011, 21:31
Well, metallicafan you definitely deserve KUDOS
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Preparing for GMAT - March 2011
Joined: 21 May 2010
Posts: 149
Location: London
Schools: INSEAD, RSM, HEC, St. Gallen, IF, IESE
WE 1: Finance 6 years
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: sentence correction [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2011, 03:42
metallicafan wrote:
+1 C

I think this is a 700-level question. At least, this topic appears in the advanced chapters of the MGMAT SC.

These are my reasons:
A) The structure of this sentence implies that you also can re-write it in this way: "The problems of management of water and resource..."
IMO, you cannot re-write the sentence in this way. The MGMAT SC book mentions that if you cannot re-write the sentence in that way, the sentence is wrong. It seems that "problems" goes better with "in". That's why C is better.
(B) B sounds ackward.
(C) Correct: "Problems" goes better with "in".
(D) "Other" changes the meaning.
(E) Changes in the meaning.

I think I deserve kudos 8-)


Even choice (C) has "other" that changes the meaning. any thought?
I am in mix between (C) & (D).
_________________

In The World Full Of Duplicates,, I Am The Only Masterpiece..
Girl Power
beat-the-beast-with-non-native-speaker-108349.html

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 May 2015
Posts: 116
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 48

GMAT ToolKit User
Water and resource management problems will be at the head [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2015, 09:28
vyassaptarashi wrote:
Water and resource management problems will be at the head of the legislature’s list of concerns for the coming session.
(A) Water and resource management problems
(B) Problems of managing water and resources
(C) Problems in the management of water and other resources
(D) Problems of water and other resource management
(E) Resource management problems, including water



Not sure abt actual process.. but here is the way i proceeded with POE

A/B - Water is also one among resources and it is illogical to separate it without other/any other etc.. sounds like water is not part of resource..

D - Problems of water and resource management - sounds like resource dont have problems and water management is not a problem. ideally problems and management should tag to both water and other resources..

E - including water - sounds ackward

Left with C

Not sure if the above reasons are right or not.. but just IMO..
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Feb 2015
Posts: 113
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 101

Re: Water and resource management problems will be at the head [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2015, 10:19
tirupatibalaji wrote:
metallicafan wrote:
+1 C

I think this is a 700-level question. At least, this topic appears in the advanced chapters of the MGMAT SC.

These are my reasons:
A) The structure of this sentence implies that you also can re-write it in this way: "The problems of management of water and resource..."
IMO, you cannot re-write the sentence in this way. The MGMAT SC book mentions that if you cannot re-write the sentence in that way, the sentence is wrong. It seems that "problems" goes better with "in". That's why C is better.
(B) B sounds ackward.
(C) Correct: "Problems" goes better with "in".
(D) "Other" changes the meaning.
(E) Changes in the meaning.

I think I deserve kudos 8-)


Even choice (C) has "other" that changes the meaning. any thought?


I am in mix between (C) & (D).



Option D sounds sa if water is having a problem. I chose C basically because i thought 'problems in' is the correct phrase in this
situation.

Hope that helps!

Thanks,
Rohan
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Aug 2015
Posts: 23
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 122

Re: Water and resource management problems will be at the head [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Oct 2015, 07:32
I think that it's more an issue of meaning and concision in this case.

(A) ''Water and resource management problems'' is redundant, resource management problems include water management problems as water is one the resources.

(B)'' Problems of managing water and resources'' Same as (A) . Moreover, this option is more wordy.

(C) ''Problems in the management of water and other resources'' this option adresses the issue of redundancy highlighted above, so we keep it.

(D) ''Problems of water and other resource management'' distorts the intended meaning, we are not concerned with just water and ONE resource, but with all resources.

(E) ''Resource management problems, including water'' .. well this option is just terrible.

So answer choice (C) is the correct one.

Hope it helps :)
Re: Water and resource management problems will be at the head   [#permalink] 02 Oct 2015, 07:32
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 Water and resource management problems will be at the head vivektripathi 10 03 Jan 2009, 22:45
Water and resource management problems will be at the head spriya 2 20 Sep 2008, 00:27
Water and resource management problems will be at the head lnaik 1 18 Oct 2007, 09:16
Water and resource management problems will be at the head younggun044 9 16 Sep 2007, 06:41
Water and resource management problems will be at the head grad_mba 7 30 Apr 2007, 18:10
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Water and resource management problems will be at the head

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.