Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ways to find Area of Triangle

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

ways to find Area of Triangle [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 06:32
On page 41 of GMATClub Math Flashcards- three ways are given to calculate Area of Triangle

1) (1/2)base x height - this is the standard forumla

2) second way is to use Heron's formula where all three sides are known

3) If only two sides are known and height is not known then this way says to extend the triangle to create a square/rectangle/rhombus and divide area of that by 2.

Can someone please give me more explanation on (3) . I still don't understand what would be the sides of the square/rectangle/ rhombus. I understand one side of the triangle would reflect across. What about the other side?

thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 17

Re: ways to find Area of Triangle [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 22:27
This post received
KUDOS
With 2 sides known and no further data provided(of height or included angle), it is not possible to find the area of the triangle.

P:S- 2 given sides can give infinite number of triangles with different heights. All such triangles will have different areas.

Regards

Argha
Re: ways to find Area of Triangle   [#permalink] 04 Oct 2013, 22:27