Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 03 May 2015, 02:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

We aren't sure who's driving, but it might be she/her

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

We aren't sure who's driving, but it might be she/her [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2015, 00:36
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Here are list of elementary questions for pronouns , but I was totally confused with the below questions.

Kindly help me out on this.

Q1:We aren't sure who's driving, but it might be she/her

Answer: she

Confusion:The subject seems to be we so second half should be objective/comparative so we should be using her but answer states she

Q2:The administration wasn't very happy about us/our stealing the college mascot.

Answer:our

Confusion:how could our be correct as it is possesive, but I couldn't hint any posive activity in the above sentence

Q3:He didn't think the coach was as smart as he/him.

Answer:he

Confusion: The subject seems to be he so second half should be objective/comparative so we should be using him but answer states he

Q4:Except for you and I/me no one knows about the plot.

Answer:me

Confusion: The subject seems to you and the author , so we should be using I but answer states me

Q5:I can't handle stress as well as he/him

Answer:he

Confusion: The subject seems to be I so second half should be objective/comparative so we should be using him but answer states he
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 114 [2] , given: 3

Re: We aren't sure who's driving, but it might be she/her [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2015, 01:59
This post received
KUDOS
Good set of questions. Let me see how I can help.

1. For this sentence, all you have to do is to answer the question - Who's driving? - The answer would be "She's driving" wouldn't it be? Therefore the answer would be She and not her.

2. The second sentence would have been right if it had been "The administration wasn't very happy with us". However here the sentence tries to say that the administration is not happy with SOMETHING about us - So it would be "The administration wasn't very happy with 'we stealing the mascot'.

3. This is about parallelism. Here you are comparing 2 people (He and He). So the right sentence would be He didn't think the coach was as smart as he WAS. We have neglected the WAS here because it does not make any difference.

4. Think about this sentence like this - "No one knows about the plot except You and me". Hence "me" would be the right usage.

5. The logic of the third sentence applies here too. The sentence would have to be "I can't handle stress as well as he can" - Here we are again neglecting the can because it doesn't make a great difference.

Hope that helps!! :)

www.gmat.crackverbal.com

For more info on GMAT and MBA, follow us on @AskCrackVerbal

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: We aren't sure who's driving, but it might be she/her [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2015, 12:07
Thanks. This post is very informational.
Re: We aren't sure who's driving, but it might be she/her   [#permalink] 28 Feb 2015, 12:07