Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 12:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

We commonly speak of aesthetic judgements as subjective and

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 31 Jan 2004
Posts: 38
Location: Dallas Texas
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

We commonly speak of aesthetic judgements as subjective and [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2004, 04:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (01:42) wrong based on 1 sessions
We commonly speak of aesthetic judgements as subjective and in the short term they are since critics often disagree about the value of a particular contemporary work of art. But over time the subjective element disappears. When works of art have continued to delight audiences for centuries, as have the paintings of Michelangelo, the music of bach and the plays of Shakespeare, we can objectively call them great.

The statements above best support which of the following conclusions?
(A) When Michelangelo, Bach and Shakespeare were alive, critics disagreed about the value of their work.
(B) The value of contemporary work of art cannot be objectively measured.
(C) The reputation of a work of art often fluctuates greatly from one generation to the next
(D) The mere fact that a work of art has endured for centuries does not establish its greatness.
(E) If critics agree about the value of a particular contemporary work of art, then the work can objectively be called great.

Please explain
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Posts: 402
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2004, 04:29
My choice (A).
Rest of the statements cannot be infered from the passage.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Jun 2004
Posts: 184
Location: Kiev, Ukraine
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-subjective-objective [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2004, 06:53
sjunagha wrote:
We commonly speak of aesthetic judgements as subjective and in the short term they are since critics often disagree about the value of a particular contemporary work of art. But over time the subjective element disappears. When works of art have continued to delight audiences for centuries, as have the paintings of Michelangelo, the music of bach and the plays of Shakespeare, we can objectively call them great.

The statements above best support which of the following conclusions?
(A) When Michelangelo, Bach and Shakespeare were alive, critics disagreed about the value of their work.
(B) The value of contemporary work of art cannot be objectively measured.
(C) The reputation of a work of art often fluctuates greatly from one generation to the next
(D) The mere fact that a work of art has endured for centuries does not establish its greatness.
(E) If critics agree about the value of a particular contemporary work of art, then the work can objectively be called great.

Please explain


I think that the answer is B. A almost makes it, but to me, it seems misleading.

The main discussion in the passage is about subjectivity vs. objectivity of aesthetic judgements. The argument is that contemporaty judgements are subjective, while historical can be called objective. References to Michaelangelo, Back and Shakespeare are only examples in the support of the argument.

Therefore, I think that the statements in the passage give best support to statement B. The work of contemporary work of art cannot be objectively measured.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jan 2004
Posts: 728
Location: Milwaukee
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-subjective-objective [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2004, 09:24
sjunagha wrote:
We commonly speak of aesthetic judgements as subjective and in the short term they are since critics often disagree about the value of a particular contemporary work of art. But over time the subjective element disappears. When works of art have continued to delight audiences for centuries, as have the paintings of Michelangelo, the music of bach and the plays of Shakespeare, we can objectively call them great.

The statements above best support which of the following conclusions?
(A) When Michelangelo, Bach and Shakespeare were alive, critics disagreed about the value of their work.
(B) The value of contemporary work of art cannot be objectively measured.
(C) The reputation of a work of art often fluctuates greatly from one generation to the next
(D) The mere fact that a work of art has endured for centuries does not establish its greatness.
(E) If critics agree about the value of a particular contemporary work of art, then the work can objectively be called great.

Please explain


it has to be B, A is too narrow. B gives you broader perspective of what is stated in the passage
_________________

Praveen

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 05 May 2004
Posts: 577
Location: San Jose, CA
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-subjective-objective [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2004, 10:17
sjunagha wrote:
We commonly speak of aesthetic judgements as subjective and in the short term they are since critics often disagree about the value of a particular contemporary work of art. But over time the subjective element disappears. When works of art have continued to delight audiences for centuries, as have the paintings of Michelangelo, the music of bach and the plays of Shakespeare, we can objectively call them great.

The statements above best support which of the following conclusions?
(A) When Michelangelo, Bach and Shakespeare were alive, critics disagreed about the value of their work.
(B) The value of contemporary work of art cannot be objectively measured.
(C) The reputation of a work of art often fluctuates greatly from one generation to the next
(D) The mere fact that a work of art has endured for centuries does not establish its greatness.
(E) If critics agree about the value of a particular contemporary work of art, then the work can objectively be called great.

Please explain


I will go with A

For B to be correct, shouldn't it be: "The value of contemporary work of art cannot be subjectively measured."
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 05 May 2004
Posts: 577
Location: San Jose, CA
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR-subjective-objective [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2004, 10:19
sjunagha wrote:
We commonly speak of aesthetic judgements as subjective and in the short term they are since critics often disagree about the value of a particular contemporary work of art. But over time the subjective element disappears. When works of art have continued to delight audiences for centuries, as have the paintings of Michelangelo, the music of bach and the plays of Shakespeare, we can objectively call them great.

The statements above best support which of the following conclusions?
(A) When Michelangelo, Bach and Shakespeare were alive, critics disagreed about the value of their work.
(B) The value of contemporary work of art cannot be objectively measured.
(C) The reputation of a work of art often fluctuates greatly from one generation to the next
(D) The mere fact that a work of art has endured for centuries does not establish its greatness.
(E) If critics agree about the value of a particular contemporary work of art, then the work can objectively be called great.

Please explain


I will go with A

For B to be correct, shouldn't it be: "The value of contemporary work of art cannot be subjectively measured."
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4318
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2004, 10:56
I believe B is an unwarranted inference. What says that there is no measure of objectivity on which Michaelangelo, Bach and Shakespeare's works of art cannot be measured? What if that measure of objectivity is, a pure example here, their rarity or longevity?

A on the other hand can be infered. Ask yourself this question:

Why are works of art subjective? Because critics often disagree about their value.

Why was Michaelangelo, Bach and Shakespeare's works of art subjective? Because critics disagreed about their value.
_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Nov 2003
Posts: 20
Location: Ukraine
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2004, 11:38
Paul wrote:
I believe B is an unwarranted inference. What says that there is no measure of objectivity on which Michaelangelo, Bach and Shakespeare's works of art cannot be measured? What if that measure of objectivity is, a pure example here, their rarity or longevity?

A on the other hand can be infered. Ask yourself this question:

Why are works of art subjective? Because critics often disagree about their value.

Why was Michaelangelo, Bach and Shakespeare's works of art subjective? Because critics disagreed about their value.


I vote for B.
I eliminated A because "arts of Mich, Bach and Shak have continued to delight audiences for centures". "Continued" here means these works delighted audiences in the past as well. I attributed critics-from-the-past to the intire audience-from-the-past. Moreover, I see no proof that critics disagreed about the value of their work that time.

B is correct because we can call works obectively great if they continued to delight audiences for centuries.
Contemporaries could not delight audiences for centuries, therefore, can not be obectively great.

Paul, can you please point to the place saying that works of Mich, Bach and Shak were subjective? These works are objectively great!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4318
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2004, 12:17
The example given with Michaelangelo, Bach and Shakespeare's works of art immediately follow: "But over time the subjective element disappears". I infered from that that those examples were originally subjective
_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 31 Jan 2004
Posts: 38
Location: Dallas Texas
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2004, 18:37
The OA is B- The value of contemporary work of art cannot be objectively measured.

You guys are awesome thanks for the in-depth surgery!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4318
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2004, 19:59
Hats off to you Serge, I did see your point after you asked me that question but I stubbornly tried to defend my irrational point :wall
_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 05 May 2004
Posts: 577
Location: San Jose, CA
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2004, 21:20
:beat
Oh! finally I got the point.
Thanks guys for detailed explnations!!!
  [#permalink] 07 Jun 2004, 21:20
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
We commonly speak of aesthetic judgments as subjective, and myc2004 4 01 Apr 2006, 13:34
We commonly speak of aesthetic judgments as subjective, and rianah100 4 23 Nov 2005, 05:56
We commonly speak of aesthetic judgments as subjective, and nakib77 6 12 Oct 2005, 12:49
We commonly speak of aesthetic judgments as subjective, and ywilfred 9 10 Sep 2005, 04:54
We commonly speak of aesthetic judgments as subjective, and damit 11 13 Jun 2005, 20:20
Display posts from previous: Sort by

We commonly speak of aesthetic judgements as subjective and

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.