Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 20:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Weak in DS - help needed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

Weak in DS - help needed [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 23:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 100% (00:02) wrong based on 2 sessions
I am pretty worried about my strength in DS as I found it very weak and I am not completely able to resolve the questions related to the number properties.

Some of the examples of the threads are like

divisibility-101667.html

positive-integer-n-1-multiple-of-101676.html

remainder-problem-101740.html

consecutive-integers-101707.html

Can someone guide me which thread of GMAT club should I consider to crack these kind of questions. I mean if any tutorial is avilable or questions which would be helpful for me to understand the basics of these question.

Your assistance will be highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

I don't want kudos.. I want to see smile on your face if I am able to help you.. which is priceless.

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Weak in DS - help needed [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 23:41
I felt the same way a few months ago. I got the MGMAT guides, and went through the Number Properties book first. It took me quite a while to work through it all, but it helped tremendously. I can't praise that book enough.
Manager
Manager

Re: Weak in DS - help needed [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 23:51
jpr200012 wrote:
I felt the same way a few months ago. I got the MGMAT guides, and went through the Number Properties book first. It took me quite a while to work through it all, but it helped tremendously. I can't praise that book enough.

Thanks for your help. I am worried because on November I am going to attemp the GMAT. :roll:

I don't want kudos.. I want to see smile on your face if I am able to help you.. which is priceless.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Weak in DS - help needed [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 00:23
I would probably just buy that one book then. It will take a while to work through, but you should be able to get through it and get a grip on the DS by Nov. if you start now. :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Weak in DS - help needed [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2010, 11:48
I just took my first gmat prep exm and scored Verbal of 40 and Quant of 20! The DS questions were my downfall. The majority of the quant questions were DS and I got nearly all of them wrong. I correctly answered all the geometry questions and did well with the others. I don't have advice but wanted to let you know you're not alone in your struggle in this area! Keep studying and you will see improvement.
Manager
Manager

Re: Weak in DS - help needed [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 00:09
fronds wrote:
I just took my first gmat prep exm and scored Verbal of 40 and Quant of 20! The DS questions were my downfall. The majority of the quant questions were DS and I got nearly all of them wrong. I correctly answered all the geometry questions and did well with the others. I don't have advice but wanted to let you know you're not alone in your struggle in this area! Keep studying and you will see improvement.

Exactly the same case here , I am able to solve geomtery question both in DS and PS but failed in Number System. I don't want to make it as my weak point and I am too working on it to make it work for me.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 6

Re: Weak in DS - help needed [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 00:28
This post received
KUDOS
Hi guys!
There are several to answer DS questions (I am sure I'll forgot lots of them but let me try :))
- if the question is speaking about x, y, z and you have
(1) something about x
(2) something about z and y
The answer cannot usually be A, B or D. So in a sec you can see where to look at.
However, be careful of the question is x^2 * y * z^3 > 0. It is also obvious in that case that x is not needed ! So here, it can't be A, and it can be B or E, only !
- you have two unknowns, and no equation given!
(1) one equation with x and y
(2) another equation with x and y
In that case, it can't be A, B or D. First thing to do, check if (1) and (2) are equivalent! If they are, the answer is, all simply, E. If they are not, don't even think about checking the result, it's C, for sure! 2 equations (not equivalent), 2 unknows ==> answer for sure! I never saw a question like that with two contradictory equations (like a+b = 5, a+b = 2).

I think that with those points you can easily get through the 500 questions!

- you can have a question with a really tough equation!! something like
is (x-1)^2 - 1 > (x-2) ??? Think SIMPLIFICATION!!!!!
==> (x-1)^2 - 1 = x*(x-2) (two ways : A^2-B^2 = (A-B)(A+B) or just develop!)
so now we have is x(x-2) > (x-2) <=> x > 1 for x =! 2 (=! : different)
Now just have a look at the statements and I am sure you can answer the question very fast!

- You have the questions with a lot of talking! Put aside what is uneeded and write down all the elements that are given to you to answer the question. Then write down an equation and even before having a look at the statements, ask yoursel=> what do I need to solve this "flipping" problem?
The answer will come to you afterwords.

- Now you have the most complicated one. The one that implictly ask you to find counterexample! Indeed, every time you feel uncomfortable with a question (like those with the sets :') ), try find a counterexample!! At first it will seem to you to be veeeeerrryyyy tough but once you will have done lots and lots of question like that, the counterexmples will be quite easy to find (note that I said "quite"... :) ).

Finally, when you have questions with, x, y, z, always ask you the following : HOW ABOUT ZERO ???????

Hope it helps

Oh, and I am sure that I forgot a looooot (I don't have time, I am at work) and that I made a lot of mistakes(I am not english native speaker) so feel free to correct me or add some ideas :)
Manager
Manager

Re: Weak in DS - help needed [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 09:44
alexn49 wrote:
Hi guys!
There are several to answer DS questions (I am sure I'll forgot lots of them but let me try :))
- if the question is speaking about x, y, z and you have
(1) something about x
(2) something about z and y
The answer cannot usually be A, B or D. So in a sec you can see where to look at.
However, be careful of the question is x^2 * y * z^3 > 0. It is also obvious in that case that x is not needed ! So here, it can't be A, and it can be B or E, only !
- you have two unknowns, and no equation given!
(1) one equation with x and y
(2) another equation with x and y
In that case, it can't be A, B or D. First thing to do, check if (1) and (2) are equivalent! If they are, the answer is, all simply, E. If they are not, don't even think about checking the result, it's C, for sure! 2 equations (not equivalent), 2 unknows ==> answer for sure! I never saw a question like that with two contradictory equations (like a+b = 5, a+b = 2).

I think that with those points you can easily get through the 500 questions!

- you can have a question with a really tough equation!! something like
is (x-1)^2 - 1 > (x-2) ??? Think SIMPLIFICATION!!!!!
==> (x-1)^2 - 1 = x*(x-2) (two ways : A^2-B^2 = (A-B)(A+B) or just develop!)
so now we have is x(x-2) > (x-2) <=> x > 1 for x =! 2 (=! : different)
Now just have a look at the statements and I am sure you can answer the question very fast!

- You have the questions with a lot of talking! Put aside what is uneeded and write down all the elements that are given to you to answer the question. Then write down an equation and even before having a look at the statements, ask yoursel=> what do I need to solve this "flipping" problem?
The answer will come to you afterwords.

- Now you have the most complicated one. The one that implictly ask you to find counterexample! Indeed, every time you feel uncomfortable with a question (like those with the sets :') ), try find a counterexample!! At first it will seem to you to be veeeeerrryyyy tough but once you will have done lots and lots of question like that, the counterexmples will be quite easy to find (note that I said "quite"... :) ).

Finally, when you have questions with, x, y, z, always ask you the following : HOW ABOUT ZERO ???????

Hope it helps

Oh, and I am sure that I forgot a looooot (I don't have time, I am at work) and that I made a lot of mistakes(I am not english native speaker) so feel free to correct me or add some ideas :)

I really appreciate your inputs and your effort. This is going to help me a lot and also boost me to score high.

Thanks again for your assistance.
+1 Kudos !

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 6

Re: Weak in DS - help needed [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2010, 11:04
My pleasure! Helping people helps me getting better! Don't hesitate to ask here, people are really good and fast to answer. Besides if sometimes you have special question you can PM me, I'll be happy to answer... if I can :)

Thx for the kudos
Re: Weak in DS - help needed   [#permalink] 29 Sep 2010, 11:04