Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 05:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Weak quant GPA, but strong quant work experience.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q37 V41
GMAT 2: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.1
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Weak quant GPA, but strong quant work experience. [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2014, 05:42
First off, I want to thank everyone in this forum for helping me through the GMAT. I took it years ago and got a 640. But I've been lurking here for the last three weeks after deciding to get serious and take the test. I just took it last weekend and got a 710 Q44 V42 IR7. While my math should have been a bit stronger based on my practice tests (I was getting 47-48 on both my manhattan and official CATs) I am still happy with getting above the 700 marker.

So here's my story:
Age 28 white male
GMAT: 710 Q44 V42 IR7
Undergrad: Mid-tier large state school (45-55 ranked), GPA 3.1, BS in Econ (major GPA 3.90), Minor in Math
Work experience: same large bank since graduating (5.5 years) started as an intern, was hired full time at $39K, five promotions later I run the economics desk (2 employees under me), price most of our products, and help hedge the balance sheet ($50B+) by tracking our greeks (delta, gamma, etc) and trading derivatives (trade sizes from $1M up to $350M), make roughly $150K.
Reccomendations will be very strong: my manager and two different CEOs of $60B+ sized banks
Extra Curriculars: not much at all. I work 60+ hours a week, so not much free time. Though the bank has said they will cut me some slack if I get into school.
Applying to: Booth and Kellogg part-time

I know that part-time is generally easier to get into, but I'm still worried about my GPA. My major gpa is pretty good, but the problem is that I got several Cs in my math classes Prob and Stats (C-), Calc III (C), Linear Algebra (C), Abstract Algebra (C-). No good story to explain it, just didn't really care and was too young/dumb to see the long-term effects of my disinterest in studying.

I'm concerned that even though I took a very intesive quant heavy undergrad, that the Adcoms are going to look down on this. Is this something I should explain in the optional essay or just leave it alone. Clearly my work shows that I'm proficient in quant skills and my employer seems to trust that I have this knowledge as well. What do you guys think? Do I have a shot at getting into Booth or Kellogg part-time?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Dream MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: DreamMBA Inc.
Schools: HBS '16, INSEAD (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.94
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Weak quant GPA, but strong quant work experience. [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2014, 00:42
Expert's post
jphj wrote:
First off, I want to thank everyone in this forum for helping me through the GMAT. I took it years ago and got a 640. But I've been lurking here for the last three weeks after deciding to get serious and take the test. I just took it last weekend and got a 710 Q44 V42 IR7. While my math should have been a bit stronger based on my practice tests (I was getting 47-48 on both my manhattan and official CATs) I am still happy with getting above the 700 marker.

So here's my story:
Age 28 white male
GMAT: 710 Q44 V42 IR7
Undergrad: Mid-tier large state school (45-55 ranked), GPA 3.1, BS in Econ (major GPA 3.90), Minor in Math
Work experience: same large bank since graduating (5.5 years) started as an intern, was hired full time at $39K, five promotions later I run the economics desk (2 employees under me), price most of our products, and help hedge the balance sheet ($50B+) by tracking our greeks (delta, gamma, etc) and trading derivatives (trade sizes from $1M up to $350M), make roughly $150K.
Reccomendations will be very strong: my manager and two different CEOs of $60B+ sized banks
Extra Curriculars: not much at all. I work 60+ hours a week, so not much free time. Though the bank has said they will cut me some slack if I get into school.
Applying to: Booth and Kellogg part-time

I know that part-time is generally easier to get into, but I'm still worried about my GPA. My major gpa is pretty good, but the problem is that I got several Cs in my math classes Prob and Stats (C-), Calc III (C), Linear Algebra (C), Abstract Algebra (C-). No good story to explain it, just didn't really care and was too young/dumb to see the long-term effects of my disinterest in studying.

I'm concerned that even though I took a very intesive quant heavy undergrad, that the Adcoms are going to look down on this. Is this something I should explain in the optional essay or just leave it alone. Clearly my work shows that I'm proficient in quant skills and my employer seems to trust that I have this knowledge as well. What do you guys think? Do I have a shot at getting into Booth or Kellogg part-time?

As you said, part-time MBA is easier to get into. So I don't see you having major problem getting into Booth or Kellogg part-time.

It would have been an issue if you were applying full time as your score on quant and your math classes in undergrad point to somewhat lower quant skills than the average for top business schools.

DreamMBA inc. Premium MBA Admission Consultants

We are offering huge discounts on our packages for early birds. Visit our website now to benefit from these limited time offers.

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 1

Re: Weak quant GPA, but strong quant work experience. [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2014, 11:00
Expert's post
Hey there,

Congratulations on a solid GMAT performance! A score that starts with a "7" requires a toast! All in all, I'm not terribly concerned about your quant performance. Is it a yellow flag? Absolutely. Will it keep you out? No. You have a strong major specific GPA, a minor in Math (that I hope shows a similar upwards trajectory), and a solid GMAT (even though your Verbal carried you bit). What is going to be really important is communicating the quant nature of your job. You clearly have it in there but have your recommenders hammer this point in. You are a quant jockey - that's the message you want to convey.

Beyond that, those part time programs are all about story - they get qualified applicants by the thousands every year given where they are and how highly ranked they are. So just pull together a story that is engaging! Easy, right? :)

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Re: Weak quant GPA, but strong quant work experience.   [#permalink] 04 Aug 2014, 11:00