Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 23:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Weird to ask former employee for recommendation?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Jan 2011
Posts: 380
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 29

Weird to ask former employee for recommendation? [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 05:13
In my previous job, I was a director of an online team and I've maintained great relationship with my former boss as well as all those who reported to me. I am definitely asking my former boss for a recommendation, but would it be strange for me to ask my former employee (who is a fabulous writer and knows my work well) to write a recommendation? The former employee is a manager who reported to me.

Thank you for your input in advance. :)

Enkie
_________________

*******************************************************************
~ PickyTooth - Eat Like a Local Foodie // www.pickytooth.com ~
*******************************************************************

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2010
Posts: 141
Schools: Tuck 2013
WE 1: Big 4
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 67

Re: Weird to ask former employee for recommendation? [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 06:54
enkie wrote:
In my previous job, I was a director of an online team and I've maintained great relationship with my former boss as well as all those who reported to me. I am definitely asking my former boss for a recommendation, but would it be strange for me to ask my former employee (who is a fabulous writer and knows my work well) to write a recommendation? The former employee is a manager who reported to me.

Thank you for your input in advance. :)

Enkie


If the application doesn't ask for a subordinate recommendation, I would wonder about your ability to
1. Read the instructions
2. Find another supervisor who can attest to your abilities. A supervisor/peer has no incentive to give a positive recommendation unless it is warranted. A subordinate on the other hand would clearly want to please his or her boss. so that would be read skeptically and would most likely not improve your candidacy.

Good luck
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Jan 2011
Posts: 380
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 29

Re: Weird to ask former employee for recommendation? [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 08:19
estreet wrote:
enkie wrote:
In my previous job, I was a director of an online team and I've maintained great relationship with my former boss as well as all those who reported to me. I am definitely asking my former boss for a recommendation, but would it be strange for me to ask my former employee (who is a fabulous writer and knows my work well) to write a recommendation? The former employee is a manager who reported to me.

Thank you for your input in advance. :)

Enkie


If the application doesn't ask for a subordinate recommendation, I would wonder about your ability to
1. Read the instructions
2. Find another supervisor who can attest to your abilities. A supervisor/peer has no incentive to give a positive recommendation unless it is warranted. A subordinate on the other hand would clearly want to please his or her boss. so that would be read skeptically and would most likely not improve your candidacy.

Good luck


Thank you for your suggestion. But this subordinate no longer reports to me -- it was for a previous job. And my previous boss is going to write a recommendation. So I will have a supervisor rec....
_________________

*******************************************************************
~ PickyTooth - Eat Like a Local Foodie // www.pickytooth.com ~
*******************************************************************

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2010
Posts: 141
Schools: Tuck 2013
WE 1: Big 4
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 67

Re: Weird to ask former employee for recommendation? [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 09:17
Might be easier to post the instructions you are responding to (each school has a different way of asking for recommendations) so people can see if your approach fits with the request before answering.
My initial thoughts: With the subordinate, past or present, there are still a number of questions this approach raises
-Why is this person a better recommender than another supervisor? How much insight into the applicant do they have, particularly compared to a supervisor (I can speak about the work of my subordinates with much greater detail and insight than I can into the work of my boss, who presumably doesn’t share all aspects of his role with me)? Your bosses can compare you with other people in your position (past and present), while your subordinates may not have that experience to draw on.
-Despite the fact that this person no longer works for you, the adcom can still imply a bias to his or her recommendation. Does this person owe them for help with his/her career and they are returning the favor?

You might also want to ask this in the admissions consultant section, as they likely have answered this for clients before. Good luck
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Jan 2011
Posts: 380
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 29

Re: Weird to ask former employee for recommendation? [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 09:21
estreet wrote:
Might be easier to post the instructions you are responding to (each school has a different way of asking for recommendations) so people can see if your approach fits with the request before answering.
My initial thoughts: With the subordinate, past or present, there are still a number of questions this approach raises
-Why is this person a better recommender than another supervisor? How much insight into the applicant do they have, particularly compared to a supervisor (I can speak about the work of my subordinates with much greater detail and insight than I can into the work of my boss, who presumably doesn’t share all aspects of his role with me)? Your bosses can compare you with other people in your position (past and present), while your subordinates may not have that experience to draw on.
-Despite the fact that this person no longer works for you, the adcom can still imply a bias to his or her recommendation. Does this person owe them for help with his/her career and they are returning the favor?

You might also want to ask this in the admissions consultant section, as they likely have answered this for clients before. Good luck


That's a really great point. I think I will ask two previous supervisors to write my recommendation instead. Haha I probably should have gone with my gut instinct, which is that it IS weird to have a former subordinate write a recommendation. :)
_________________

*******************************************************************
~ PickyTooth - Eat Like a Local Foodie // www.pickytooth.com ~
*******************************************************************

Re: Weird to ask former employee for recommendation?   [#permalink] 19 May 2011, 09:21
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic **Ask MBA IVY - FORMER HARVARD INTERVIEWER MBAIvy 1 30 Nov 2013, 08:43
Asking a former supervisor for a LoR and his response mbaapplicant123 3 19 Nov 2013, 10:57
Weird Question - Recommender Relationship julianllee 3 19 Aug 2010, 12:45
Recommender Weirdness aaudetat 11 15 Feb 2007, 08:22
Asking for recommendations Nsentra 2 12 Nov 2006, 20:06
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Weird to ask former employee for recommendation?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.