Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Oct 2014, 15:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Went down from 610Q (46)V(28) to a 590 Q(44) V(27) :(

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 4

Went down from 610Q (46)V(28) to a 590 Q(44) V(27) :( [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 01:40
Hi,

I prepared oveerall for 4 months of self study using MGMAT guides and all other boks mentioned in the forum and cats. I attempted my 2nd GMAT yesterday. All the CATs that I did at home, I was getting in the range of 670 - 680. Gave multiple tests.
During the exam I somehow lost track of time in verbal and only had 20 min left for remaining 20 questions:((

I have some questions and concerns,please advice -

1. With the first round dates coming closer, should I give my third GMAT and apply in 2nd round or take a Knewton/Kaplan course and write gmat by 30th Septe?

2. Whether writing GMAT 3 times and scoring high is equal to low score in the first GMAT?

3. Will I be able to get thru verbal and score in 40's in verbal -? I am a non-native speaker? When I started studying I was aiming for 720+ and now getting 680 is also looking difficult.

I took GMAT Pill Sentence correction course and it was a waste of time and money.

Plzzzzzz advice.
Thanks in advance.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.8
WE: General Management (Retail)
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 360 [0], given: 13

Re: Went down from 610Q (46)V(28) to a 590 Q(44) V(27) :( [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 06:22
simmy818 wrote:
Hi,

. . .
Plzzzzzz advice.
Thanks in advance.

Hey Simmy

Hard Luck!

but don't worry! it happens. i too am struggling with same issue (always was 700+ in practice but 660 in real test)

1) DONT apply in first. i have done enough research and there is no difference between 1st and 2nd round results. Plus if you start APP now you will have a load on your mind (as you did less than your potential). Its not healthy frame of mind to be in. I suggest (also had discussed save with bb, GC's founder) take GMAT within 6 weeks. so that your concepts are fresh. .. you just need to build up on your base

2) there is nothing like that. Schools take the best score. period (i have checked this with many schools). ONE GOOD TIP: in next exam do not choose and school. if you score well, then have your new scores sent to the desired school, and in case you don't, simply don't worry. schools will never get to know your new score (its correct. i have done enough home work on this aspect)

3) My gut feel about three ways to have best performance in three sections:
SC: MGMAT
RC: GMAT PILL
CR: POWER SCORE
these are perfect combinations. another IMP thing: just stick to OG + VR. don't use any new source. even if you know answers re-do. Just 'learn from your errors' and also 'review the questions which you got correct'. keep doing so . . stick to the simple strategy. you don;t need to do anything complex

6 weeks and you will achieve your true potential.

hope it helps

GS

i love kudos :moped consider giving them if you like my post!!

:arrow: CRITICAL REASONING FOR BEGINNERS: notes & links to help you learn CR better. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/critical-reasoning-for-beginners-82111.html
:arrow: QUANT NOTES FOR PS & DS: notes to help you do better in Quant. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/quant-notes-for-ps-ds-82447.html
:arrow: GMAT Timing Planner: This little tool could help you plan timing strategy. Click Below
http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-cat-timing-planner-82513.html

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 303 [0], given: 36

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Went down from 610Q (46)V(28) to a 590 Q(44) V(27) :( [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 08:27
simmy818 wrote:
Hi,

I prepared oveerall for 4 months of self study using MGMAT guides and all other boks mentioned in the forum and cats. I attempted my 2nd GMAT yesterday. All the CATs that I did at home, I was getting in the range of 670 - 680. Gave multiple tests.
During the exam I somehow lost track of time in verbal and only had 20 min left for remaining 20 questions:((

I have some questions and concerns,please advice -

1. With the first round dates coming closer, should I give my third GMAT and apply in 2nd round or take a Knewton/Kaplan course and write gmat by 30th Septe?

Take GMAT again, there is no need to rush for 1st round with unsatisfactory scores

2. Whether writing GMAT 3 times and scoring high is equal to low score in the first GMAT?

Nope, B-Schools will consider your highest score

3. Will I be able to get thru verbal and score in 40's in verbal -? I am a non-native speaker? When I started studying I was aiming for 720+ and now getting 680 is also looking difficult.

I took GMAT Pill Sentence correction course and it was a waste of time and money.

Have you reviewed which type of SCs (or other verbal questions) you're getting wrong ? Also, have you seen other preparation resources such as Aristotle SC guide ?

Take 2-3 days off, and come back again and first jot down your weak points and start working on them. I think with a focused approach and with some luck, you should be able to get your dream score.

Plzzzzzz advice.
Thanks in advance.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Other)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 23

Reviews Badge
Re: Went down from 610Q (46)V(28) to a 590 Q(44) V(27) :( [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 09:33
nothing difficult mate! just sit down, pull together yourself, and analyze th areas where you went wrong- timing, any specific section, exam pressure and whatever may be... very first step to achieve is to believe in yourself and work towards the goal...

My GMAT Journey 540->680->730!

~ When the going gets tough, the Tough gets going!

Re: Went down from 610Q (46)V(28) to a 590 Q(44) V(27) :(   [#permalink] 28 Aug 2011, 09:33