Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 17:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Went through OG questions, wondering if I'm in decent shape

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 9

Went through OG questions, wondering if I'm in decent shape [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 13:24
Hi all,

So basically, I've been prepping for 4 weeks and wanted to get an idea of where I stand. I know that you're supposed to do the OG first and then go through manhattan, but I wasn't aware of this and instead went through all the MGMATs, went through the problems in Princeton Review/Kaplan and then went through the official guide (woops). So over two weeks, I did the MGMAT, did all the problems at the end, and then went over the study guide I made and after doing all this, I crushed through the verbal problems the last 2-3 days. Based on pseudo-timed conditions (i.e. I kept track of time and tried to pick up the pace whe I was lower than 1.8 mins a question), I'm getting 80% of CR, and 75% or more of the RC and SC questions correctly.

My goal for the short-term (I take the GMAT in 2.5 weeks) is to get at least a 650, but longer term, I'll probably need a 720+. I know I'm nowhere near 720 level, but for my short-term 650 goal, do I look to be in good shape for the verbal part? If not, what else can I do to improve, because I'm not sure how much more practice I can get or where to turn? I find CR pretty easy (even in the ones I miss, I usually get down to 2 and get unlucky a lot), RC should improve as I work on engaging with the passage more (I either completely ace passages with nothing wrong, or I just crash and burn getting 1/2 wrong which is why the average is low), and I'm working hard on SC rules, but I just don't know how much more I can improve or what I can do to do better? 720 requires more work than I have time for, but IMO, 650 should be very obtainable, so I need to get it together if I'm not on target.

Please give kudos if you found my post useful, I give kudos back :)

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 19

Re: Went through OG questions, wondering if I'm in decent shape [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 12:48
This post received
KUDOS
brooksbrahs wrote:
Hi all,

So basically, I've been prepping for 4 weeks and wanted to get an idea of where I stand. I know that you're supposed to do the OG first and then go through manhattan, but I wasn't aware of this and instead went through all the MGMATs, went through the problems in Princeton Review/Kaplan and then went through the official guide (woops). So over two weeks, I did the MGMAT, did all the problems at the end, and then went over the study guide I made and after doing all this, I crushed through the verbal problems the last 2-3 days. Based on pseudo-timed conditions (i.e. I kept track of time and tried to pick up the pace whe I was lower than 1.8 mins a question), I'm getting 80% of CR, and 75% or more of the RC and SC questions correctly.

My goal for the short-term (I take the GMAT in 2.5 weeks) is to get at least a 650, but longer term, I'll probably need a 720+. I know I'm nowhere near 720 level, but for my short-term 650 goal, do I look to be in good shape for the verbal part? If not, what else can I do to improve, because I'm not sure how much more practice I can get or where to turn? I find CR pretty easy (even in the ones I miss, I usually get down to 2 and get unlucky a lot), RC should improve as I work on engaging with the passage more (I either completely ace passages with nothing wrong, or I just crash and burn getting 1/2 wrong which is why the average is low), and I'm working hard on SC rules, but I just don't know how much more I can improve or what I can do to do better? 720 requires more work than I have time for, but IMO, 650 should be very obtainable, so I need to get it together if I'm not on target.

you seemed to be in good shape, just take a mock and see where you stand.
what about the quant part?

i suggest you use Aristotle RC99 for tackling the RC, really helped me.

If my answer helped, dont forget KUDOS! :)

IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 207

Kudos [?]: 302 [1] , given: 5

Re: Went through OG questions, wondering if I'm in decent shape [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2012, 06:05
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The previous poster is correct, you need to take a practice exam to see how you stand. The GMATPrep software (from the makers of the GMAT) will give you the approximation of your probable score [http://www.mba.com/the-gmat/download-free-test-preparation-software.aspx]. You can also take a MGMAT practice test and get great diagnostic data to show you where to focus your efforts in the short time you have left [http://www.manhattangmat.com/free-gmat.cfm?utm_source=homepage&utm_medium=frontpage-link&utm_campaign=home].

BTW, if I were a betting man I would bet that you score above 650 on your practice exam.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Re: Went through OG questions, wondering if I'm in decent shape   [#permalink] 05 Nov 2012, 06:05