Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:48 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11  ...  117   
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Concentration: Finance, International Studies (South East Asia)
Schools:Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
GPA: 5 out of 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.21
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: Wharton 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
xerox wrote:
MrMV wrote:
Do you have any suggestions for a re-applicant?

Do a SWAT analysis of your application, regroup and redefine your strategy.

So the first question to answer is "What was your strategy last time?"
Second question would be "What was wrong with it?"

Posted from my mobile device

I've seen reapplicants fix what was wrong only to fix too much and end up screwing up what was right.

So don't forget to figure out wad was right, and DON'T CHANGE IT.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
I bet Wharton's roll call will first out of other schools reach 100+ members. Even HBS is behind.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Send PM
Finally, I was able to read up on what the school has done while I was away from its liberating walls.
To me, Wharton's latest curriculum overhaul theme is Wharton's classic emphasis on cutting edge finance quant and marketing and operations number crunching plus:
1. Ethics
2. Innovation
3. Entrepreneurship
4. Social responsibility
5. Life-long continuous education of business leaders
6. International business activity
7. Communication

Thoughts?
Current Student
Affiliations: VFW, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, West Point Association of Graduates
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategic Management and Finance
Schools:Wharton Class of 2013
GMAT 2: 700
GPA: 3.3
WE 1: Army Ranger / Infantry Platoon Leader Operation Iraqi Freedom (2 yrs)
WE 2: Company Executive Officer (1 yr)
WE 3: Company Commander (2 yrs)
Send PM
All applicants feel free to reach out to me, but here is some information on a key event:

Another Wharton event, if interested sign-up, it will be a great day with good information, fellowship, and some beers:

Title: Military Visit Day (view detailed information)
When: 10/13/2011 7:30 AM - 6:00 PM
Where: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Event Type: Presentation

To sign up go to the following link: https://www.wharton.upenn.edu/mba/admiss ... events.cfm

then click over to on-campus events and register, hope to see you there
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
97 Applicants!!!
Need only 3 more to break the 100 mark!

Current Student
Send PM
In 2011, Wharton introduced Global Modular Courses https://www.wharton.upenn.edu/global/gmc.cfm The feedback from those who took them last year was that they are "the best most recent innovation" at the school. If you read my post above, it seems GMC fits into the international aspect of doing business that the school is capitalizing on in its curriculum.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Insead, Kelogg, Wharton, ISB
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Field Engineer - Oilfield Industry
WE 2: Manufacturing Engineer -Oil Field Industry
Send PM
Count me in

Mechanical Engineer from India
GMAT- 750
WE - 4 years in oilfield
Worked on Oil rigs and technology centers in 7 countries till now.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
Was thinking about Round1, but I'll now be in for Round 2.
Current Student
Send PM
IJR wrote:

Whahappend?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
xerox wrote:
IJR wrote:

Whahappend?

Work has gotten crazy. I don't think I can write good essays in time for Round 1.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
reapp for r1.

Been trying to access my last year ding letter (for specific comments, if any) at W admin webpage with no success. Do they send everyone a form ding letter?

back to drawing board this year...

The essays give no space for leadership accomplishments (except for one such experience in innovation essay). Makes me wonder whether Wharton cares about them (despite claims to contrary on their website)! Furthermore, they seem to have cut down total essay length by 700 words this year with respect to last year (one essay choice removed).

I'll appreciate any insights from current and prospective students.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
jk12 wrote:
reapp for r1.

The essays give no space for leadership accomplishments (except for one such experience in innovation essay). Makes me wonder whether Wharton cares about them (despite claims to contrary on their website)! Furthermore, they seem to have cut down total essay length by 700 words this year with respect to last year (one essay choice removed).

I think you should try to sprinkle in your leadership abilities wherever you can. Just because they don't say it explicitly, doesn't mean they don't care for them. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Hello,
Seeking advice for reapplicant who was wait listed all the way through summer last time around. Considering I was waitlisted, I am not too keen on changing up my app too much because I take my waitlist decision as kind of a reaffirmation that my app was somewhat down the right path. Accordingly, I plan on using a couple of the same essyas, slightly tweaked from last year. My recs will also be similar. One point of differentiation will be my beefed up extra currics in the past year. Any advice or thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
Schools:Wharton - Class of 2013
Send PM
Completely agree with golantrevize. Just because they don't explicitly ask, doesn't mean they don't care or that you shouldn't write about it. What I found helpful when I was applying last year was, I put together a master checklist of topics and themes that I wanted to cover in my application package, whether they be in my essays, the recommedations, or the short answers in the actual application itself. You want to make sure you cover your professional accomplishments, academic achievements (if applicable), and extracurricular/leadership skills. I made sure to strategically distribute these topics throughout the various pieces of the application package, and that the individual parts complement each other to create a cohesive overall story.

golantrevize wrote:
jk12 wrote:
reapp for r1.

I think you should try to sprinkle in your leadership abilities wherever you can. Just because they don't say it explicitly, doesn't mean they don't care for them. :)
Intern
Intern
Schools:Wharton - Class of 2013
Send PM
I was a reapplicant last year, but I waited 2 years after the initial rejection (first app was for class of 11, now I am in class of 13) to apply again because I switched jobs right after I got rejected last time, and wanted to build up enough "accomplishments" (for a lack of better word) at my new job so that I could have new materials to talk about in my essays. As a result, my essays were very different the second time around. However, given the short turnaround between your applications, I can certainly understand that there hasn't been that much change in your work/EC/etc between July and now, and I think the admissions committee will understand that too. But I would emphasize the things you HAVE done differently/improved on since the summer, to show that you have learned from the shortcomings (real or imaginary) of your last application, and that you have been actively turning yourself into a better candidate. Personally, I don't think I would hand in the same exact essays (or with only minor tweaks). I believe Wharton made some changes to its essays from last year, and that the innovation essay is new. Maybe you can write this as a new essay, and update the career goal essay (I would keep the career goal the same, because it would seem a little weird to have drastically different career goals within the span of 3 months) with new accomplishments at work (promotion? new projects/responsibilities?). In terms of rec, I would also encourage your recommender to maybe update it with some recent developments. Hope this helps.

kookie wrote:
Hello,
Seeking advice for reapplicant who was wait listed all the way through summer last time around. Considering I was waitlisted, I am not too keen on changing up my app too much because I take my waitlist decision as kind of a reaffirmation that my app was somewhat down the right path. Accordingly, I plan on using a couple of the same essyas, slightly tweaked from last year. My recs will also be similar. One point of differentiation will be my beefed up extra currics in the past year. Any advice or thoughts? Thanks in advance.
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 521 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
jk12 wrote:

Not my insights, but have you checked PaulLanzillotti's analysis of the essays? Check out this thread:

breaking-down-the-2012-wharton-essays-117238.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
cano wrote:
jk12 wrote:

Not my insights, but have you checked PaulLanzillotti's analysis of the essays? Check out this thread:

breaking-down-the-2012-wharton-essays-117238.html

Paul Lanzilotti analysis is tangential to my original query. Paul Lanzi has analyzed the essays with the assumption that the whole set of essays should answer the question of what, why, how, when and where. According to his analysis, one could adopt an approach of answering what/how/when in the professional objectives question, and, why/where in question 1,2, and 3.

My query asks a different question - where and how should one distribute the leadership accomplishments in the application. Accomplishments of the type, i used x and y to bring in z revenues, for example. Since they dont exclusively dedicate space for it, one could assume that they expect applicant to use the given essay questions to weave in such examples. Even if one tries to weave such an example, it needs to be rather short (since essays ask a different question).

Nonetheless, it is quite a different experience than hbs questions where they ask three accomplishments, straight up.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11  ...  117   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts