Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.72
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Concentration: Finance, International Studies (South East Asia)
Schools:Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
GPA: 5 out of 5
Send PM
Re: Wharton 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Zarthul wrote:

I don't know if I would buy a Mac, especially with how often you are going to use excel, I'm not sure if it is still like this but there used to be things/scripts you could only do in Windows (unless you run an emulator of course)

I would recommend an IPAD and then get a regular laptop, probably save you money to boot!

Mac is not a problem at all at Wharton. I had a Windows laptop during the first year, then added an Apple laptop for the second year, and used it happily for all my needs.
The latest Excel for Mac is close to MS Excel in functionality, and definitely enough for the classwork. However, you might need a Windows laptop for situations where you would need very advanced MS Excel skills: say, if you recruit for some entry level PE jobs, sometimes the firms would ask candidates to build an LBO model, and they would usually provide Windows PCs for that so you would need that skill to be competitive.

In all other situations there is no disadvantage to using a Mac whatsoever.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I'll stay in Philadelphia between 11 and 17 April to attend the welcome event. I'd like to find someone to split the hotel cost.

The best rate that I can find for two people is $50 per night at Radisson Hotel Philadelphia Northeast (18.5 miles from Downtown). I can get this rate from my loyalty program. Their regular price is $140.67.

We can also rent a car together to commute between the hotel and the downtown.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
wharton has quite a few resources for entreprenurial initiatives, including the Wharton incubator. You should research incubators in philadelphia, most likely they are founded by Wharton alums, and see if you can continue to work on your startup while pursuing your MBA.

axolotl wrote:
Zarthul wrote:
I don't know if I would buy a Mac, especially with how often you are going to use excel, I'm not sure if it is still like this but there used to be things/scripts you could only do in Windows (unless you run an emulator of course)

I would recommend an IPAD and then get a regular laptop, probably save you money to boot!

Thanks for your recommendation. But I need a Mac for app development.

After being rejected by 3 out of the 4 schools which I had applied to, I was ready to give up my MBA dream and start my own IT company, one of whose activities would be app development for iPhone/iPad. Actually, together with two partners, I already registered a company and set up a Linux server in the past week.

Now that I know I receive no fellowship from Wharton, I need to think of a way to get some steady income after I quit my job. So I will continue to implement the business plan before I hand over most of my work to the other business partners.

BTW, I will attend the Welcome Event. But the hotels are so expensive. Any idea how to be cheap? I was pondering whether I should rent a big car and sleep in it, or carry my tent with me :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hey guys,

I got the call as well on Friday at 9:15AM EST! It's great to finally have an admit as I applied to 3 schools only - Harvard and Stanford R1 and Wharton in R2. I'm not entirely sure if I'm going, but I'm leaning more towards going to Philly than not at this point :)
VP
VP
Send PM
hypnotoed wrote:
Hey guys,

I got the call as well on Friday at 9:15AM EST! It's great to finally have an admit as I applied to 3 schools only - Harvard and Stanford R1 and Wharton in R2. I'm not entirely sure if I'm going, but I'm leaning more towards going to Philly than not at this point :)

Is there something that would keep you from going?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
hypnotoed wrote:
Hey guys,

Got the call on Friday around 9:30am PST. I'm based in SF. Anyone else from the bay area?

And Xerox, thanks so much for the detailed information on the Mac. That's really helpful =) I think I will buy a Mac and just keep my PC as well...

Congrats to all other admits! Hope to meet you guys soon!

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 3
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hello guys! Also admitted last friday. Now is time for decision making... congratulations to all those admitted and courgae to those who did not make it. Last year I got rejected from all 4 schools I applied and that has been the best thing that could happen to me, given that many great things happened during this year I was supposed to spend in Business School! Things happen for a reason! Never forget that.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FIM wrote:
Hello guys! Also admitted last friday. Now is time for decision making... congratulations to all those admitted and courgae to those who did not make it. Last year I got rejected from all 4 schools I applied and that has been the best thing that could happen to me, given that many great things happened during this year I was supposed to spend in Business School! Things happen for a reason! Never forget that.

Congrats! With so many offers in your pocket, decision making can be tough.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
anyone round 3??
VP
VP
Send PM
JMG wrote:
anyone round 3??

Haven't seen too many around this thread. There were a few people asking about their chances in R3, but who knows if they pulled the trigger and submitted or decided to wait for R1 in October. I take it you submitted an app and are in waiting mode for interview invites. When is the invite window?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
just received an email...invited to interview!!!

Round 3!

Does anybody know if r3 invites have more chances than other rounds...they have to be on campus.
VP
VP
Send PM
JMG wrote:
just received an email...invited to interview!!!

Round 3!

Does anybody know if r3 invites have more chances than other rounds...they have to be on campus.

Congrats on the interview invite! I wish you the best of luck.

R3 is the round with the least likelihood of getting in. That said, an invitation to interview is always positive. However, there is no difference between interviewing on campus or if you'd interviewed in a hub city. They are all weighted equally.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks!!! I knew it was a long-shot!!!! however my optimistic mind, tells me that it was very unlikely to receive the interview invite, but probably being invited to interview in r3, might mean similar chances to other round applicants who were also invited...i dunno...
VP
VP
Send PM
JMG wrote:
Thanks!!! I knew it was a long-shot!!!! however my optimistic mind, tells me that it was very unlikely to receive the interview invite, but probably being invited to interview in r3, might mean similar chances to other round applicants who were also invited...i dunno...

Schools don't release breakdowns of % interviewed --> % accepted by round. The overall rule of thumb is that Wharton interviews 40% of applicants and accepts roughly 40% of those interviewed. But I'm sorry we can't give you a better idea of what that looks like for R3.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Maybe you know this...

I received my interview confirmation mail..and was old that my status wouldnt chang blah blah until the realease date of june the 4th...however in the website in the official decision date for round 3 is may 8th ...is it normal that the date was sudeenly changed, or should it be just an adcom typo mistake

May 8 vs june 4 is a loooooot of waiting difference!!!
VP
VP
Send PM
JMG wrote:
Maybe you know this...

I received my interview confirmation mail..and was old that my status wouldnt chang blah blah until the realease date of june the 4th...however in the website in the official decision date for round 3 is may 8th ...is it normal that the date was sudeenly changed, or should it be just an adcom typo mistake

May 8 vs june 4 is a loooooot of waiting difference!!!

I am pretty sure that this is a typo. June 4 is actually the R3 deposit deadline. You'll have a decision by May 8.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
thanks!!!!
where have you chosen to go??
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  111   112   113   114   115   116   117