Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 23:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2013, 05:43
Congratulations to all of you that have been invited to interviews!

Why don't we organize sessions to simulate the Group-Based Discussion (GBD)?
We could catch up on a skype video-conference and self-manage the discussion.

If you're interested send me a private message and let me know if you want to join and which will be the best time for you (I'm available only on weekends).

Last edited by luker511 on 10 Feb 2013, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
4 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.52
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 33 [4] , given: 20

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2013, 12:09
This post received
KUDOS
Just a word of caution on practicing with each other. Not only does it go against Wharton's confidentiality policy (check the TBD email), but I can think of a handful of other risks. Imagine if someone you're practicing with uses your investment idea during the actual TBD discussion...if the same AdCom hears the same idea more than a couple of times, it might raise some red flags.

Last edited by TwoTimesTheCharm on 10 Feb 2013, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.7
WE: Sales (Internet and New Media)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2013, 19:04
Hi Everyone,

I have my interview on March 1st. Any tips for preparation from R1 folks? How much time did you put in?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V35
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 23

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2013, 19:31
ranram wrote:
invited :) people with low GMAT score, it is still possible...

Congrats on getting invited!!! Could you tell what is your profile like? (gender, work experience, nationality etc etc)...
You must have a really strong profile to offset that score.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2013, 22:04
I agree. The biggest factor is violation of the Wharton policy.

A general discussion about another topic will be better suited as it just simulates the environment but does not bring forth any specific ideas or topics related to the R2 question prompt.

TwoTimesTheCharm wrote:
Just a word of caution on practicing with each other. Not only does it go against Wharton's confidentiality policy (check the TBD email), but I can think of a handful of other risks. Imagine if someone your practicing with uses your investment idea during the actual TBD discussion...if the same AdCom hears the same idea more than a couple of times, it might raise some red flags.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2013, 22:08
TwoTimesTheCharm wrote:
Just a word of caution on practicing with each other. Not only does it go against Wharton's confidentiality policy (check the TBD email), but I can think of a handful of other risks. Imagine if someone your practicing with uses your investment idea during the actual TBD discussion...if the same AdCom hears the same idea more than a couple of times, it might raise some red flags.

you made a good point. we'll use a different prompt to avoid infringing Wharton's policy and incurring in risks.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.54
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 20

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 06:00
Is writing very short essay detrimental to your application?

In the Wharton 3rd question :- " Imagine your work obligations ..... what would you do?" ,I have written a very short essay.My point is that in the previous 2 questions,I had already explained my interest and passion regarding what I do in free time.So,I thought it would be a waste(for me as well as the application reader) to again repeat the same points just to increase my word-limit.My resume and recommendations also speak about my interest/hobby.Further,the question asked for just a 3 hour window.

I know that it is out of my hands now but does answering a question in about 20-30% of the word limit immediately lead to a ding.
[I was told that the Why Wharton MBA is the most important question which I answered very thoroughly(even had to lower my word count from 1000 to 400).]

Any expert opinions.
If an immediate ding is the case,I can dedicate more time to preparing for other school's application interviews.

It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you kudos does rev the engines :)

Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try,it means you should just try harder.

"Keep Walking" - Johnny Walker

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 07:48
harshchamp wrote:
Is writing very short essay detrimental to your application?

In the Wharton 3rd question :- " Imagine your work obligations ..... what would you do?" ,I have written a very short essay.My point is that in the previous 2 questions,I had already explained my interest and passion regarding what I do in free time.So,I thought it would be a waste(for me as well as the application reader) to again repeat the same points just to increase my word-limit.My resume and recommendations also speak about my interest/hobby.Further,the question asked for just a 3 hour window.

I know that it is out of my hands now but does answering a question in about 20-30% of the word limit immediately lead to a ding.
[I was told that the Why Wharton MBA is the most important question which I answered very thoroughly(even had to lower my word count from 1000 to 400).]

Any expert opinions.
If an immediate ding is the case,I can dedicate more time to preparing for other school's application interviews.

I don't think anyone can say definitively without knowing what you wrote in your other essays. However, as AdCom I would wonder why you didn't pick one of the other prompts if this one didn't yield much material, since you did have the option of picking one of 2 other prompts.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 1

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 08:53
Anyone know definitively if all domestic invites have gone out? Would there be any going out this week?
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V41
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [3] , given: 57

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 18:38
This post received
KUDOS
jcording wrote:
Anyone know definitively if all domestic invites have gone out? Would there be any going out this week?

Yes there will be. For other members please don't create panic by saying that it's done for domestic candidate. We still have 2 more weeks to go before its done.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 20:56
Truegmat wrote:
jcording wrote:

Yes there will be. For other members please don't create panic by saying that it's done for domestic candidate. We still have 2 more weeks to go before its done.

Do they send rejects? anyone knows by when?
Manager
Manager
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 9

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 21:13
suryanshk wrote:

Do they send rejects? anyone knows by when?

On 22nd feb.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.77

Kudos [?]: 22 [2] , given: 32

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 21:21
This post received
KUDOS
Truegmat wrote:
jcording wrote:

THANK YOU. So sick of members trying to estimate everybody's chances. Nothing is definite, anything is still possible. Lets just chill and congratulate those who have been invited/ accepted.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.77

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 32

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 21:23
ranram wrote:
invited :) people with low GMAT score, it is still possible...

WHOA, nice job! can u share your secrets with us? Awesome for u!!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 57

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2013, 22:23
MBAcm2013 wrote:
Truegmat wrote:
jcording wrote:

THANK YOU. So sick of members trying to estimate everybody's chances. Nothing is definite, anything is still possible. Lets just chill and congratulate those who have been invited/ accepted.

Yes I was also sick of all these speculations. Nothing is official yet ,results are still coming and official last date is 23rd then how can anybody say that now domestic candidates will not get any invite ,it's just too mean and callous. Lot is riding for lot of people and people just refrain from making these careless remarks.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Economics, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.76
WE: Analyst (Other)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 11

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 07:20
Truegmat wrote:
MBAcm2013 wrote:
Yes I was also sick of all these speculations. Nothing is official yet ,results are still coming and official last date is 23rd then how can anybody say that now domestic candidates will not get any invite ,it's just too mean and callous. Lot is riding for lot of people and people just refrain from making these careless remarks.

Calm down, princess. Its obvious there will be more invites. The only person who panics here is you.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing
GPA: 3.66
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [2] , given: 7

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 07:45
This post received
KUDOS
lennoxRU wrote:
Truegmat wrote:
MBAcm2013 wrote:

Calm down, princess. Its obvious there will be more invites. The only person who panics here is you.

"princess"? really? esp coming from someone creating formulas to guesstimate chances based on spec...

from your previous post...
Chances of receiving an invite=x*0+(1-x)*S

x=# of candidates reviewed by adcom by this moment/# of applicants
S - stands for success rate - how you estimate your overall chances of receiving an invite, before adcom started sending invites
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Economics, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.76
WE: Analyst (Other)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 11

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 07:48
equestrian wrote:
"princess"? really? esp coming from someone creating formulas to guesstimate chances based on spec...

from your previous post...
Chances of receiving an invite=x*0+(1-x)*S

x=# of candidates reviewed by adcom by this moment/# of applicants
S - stands for success rate - how you estimate your overall chances of receiving an invite, before adcom started sending invites

It wasn't addressed to you, the knight.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 57

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 08:20
lennoxRU wrote:
Truegmat wrote:
MBAcm2013 wrote:

thanks but no thanks for your unsolicited advise my lord!! Not all mortals shares your confidence and calm.
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 244

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2013, 08:24
Expert's post
Guys, relax. You have until the 22nd to hear back. Whatever the outcome, your lives will still be okay.

Posted from my mobile device Image

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 12 Feb 2013, 08:24