Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:12 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
New blog post from Admissions talking about R1's team-based interviews. No new news really ... just good luck to those who interviewed. You'll find out in 20 (short?) days!

The brisk air, “wintry mix” weather earlier this week, and twinkling holiday lights hung high in the trees lining Locust Walk are all reminders that December is just around the corner. And with the approach of the holidays, comes another important milestone as our Round One process nears its conclusion. We know your calendars are marked, but as a reminder, Round One decisions will be released on Thursday, December 20. Over the next few weeks, the Admissions team will be reviewing your applications in their entirety, adding insights gleaned during the team based discussion and 1:1 interviews to what you shared with us in your written applications.

As we wrap up our interviews this week, I wanted to thank all of our applicants for coming to meet with us on campus and in cities across the globe. The Admissions Fellows and our Admissions team have all thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to get to meet you, chat with you and see you in action as part of the team based discussion.

In sharing our experiences across the Admissions team and the Admissions Fellows, it’s clear the team based discussion has been even more successful than we imagined. Despite the natural trepidation that comes with any change (especially to an admissions process!) we have heard resounding positive feedback from you, our applicants, about your experience. Among the themes we have heard from you are that you not only enjoyed the exercise and opportunity to experience firsthand what team work at Wharton is like, you also relished in the opportunity to meet and connect with each other, your potential future classmates.

It was wonderful to observe our candidates connecting with one other – both inside and outside of the team based discussion. We saw you exchange contact information for future business endeavors, continue to discuss the question posed to your team far after the exercise came to a close, and we noticed a few groups that headed out for celebratory dinner or drinks after the interview was complete. The most heartwarming part for us was to see how much you invested in and supported one other; waiting for everyone in your group to be done, high fiving each other, laughing together, this is the true hallmark of Wharton’s culture of collaboration and something we look forward to your bringing to the program.

It was also interesting for us to see you in “3-D” and peek into how you are in your everyday professional lives. Each of you brought something different to your teams, in your specific ideas, your thoughtfulness in your approach, your challenging and pushing of the thinking of your teammates and their ideas. No two teams were alike in the conclusion they drew, or the process by which they came to a conclusion. Whether it was discussing business’ role in making the world a better place or debating the most critical skills for successful leadership, your perspectives and brainstorms gave us food for thought. We hope that Wharton is a place where you can further explore ideas such as how the business community can better support environmental sustainability, educational attainment, and closing the gap in wealth disparity or how effective communication, adaptive leadership, and having a “playbook” for approaching strategy decisions would help you post-MBA.

Thank you all again for taking this ride with us. We truly appreciate the energy and enthusiasm that each of our candidates brought to the interview process and we look forward to being in touch in a few short weeks.

Source: https://engage.wharton.upenn.edu/MBA/blo ... ssion.aspx
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.2
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
I think (though I am not an expert), I would like to see what someone who managed you in a big firm will say about you. I don't think a recommendation from "My Auditor/Financial adviser/mentor from my current business" is a good one because he is an invested party and someone you have paid to be an advisor/ auditor and mentors you and not really a supervisor or third-party.
I think it also depends on your goals. if your goal is to go work at a firm (IBD/Consulting/Corporate) then your manager might be a good choice.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
theblueknight wrote:
Hello, I would really appreciate the expert/peer opinion on this:

I am applying to Booth and Wharton in R2 - both require 2 recommendations. I am an entrepreneur in a brick and mortar business with a total 10 years of work experience, the last 5 of which were spent starting and growing my business successfully. Prior to that, I worked as an IT management consultant with a well-known firm.

I have the option of choosing 1) My Auditor/Financial adviser/mentor from my current business, 2) A senior customer representative from my current business or 3) My Practice partner from my previous consulting job as my recommenders. I am planning to choose the first 2, but that makes my application pretty uni-dimensional as my essays also focus on my business venture. My practice partner from consulting can bring a different perspective on my managerial/leadership skills (examples of my leading teams internationally across different countries). On the other hand, if I choose the partner from my previous job, it makes the recommendation content 5 years old. That makes the recommendation's current relevance questionable.

So, I am pondering over whom to choose as my recommenders. Would be grateful for your inputs.

Thanks.

That's a tough one. I am very wary of using recommenders (or stories) that are more than 5 years old. It has been a pretty long time since the practice partner has worked with you. To put this into context, there was a totally different person in the White House when you two worked together. An adcom may wonder if his experiences with you are still relevant to who you are today. On the other hand he does offer a different perspective than two people from your business. Could you ask a competitor to do a recommendation for you? That would be unique and relevant.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: LBS '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q39 V45
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
DreamerfromPQ wrote:
Azn84 wrote:
Just wondering if anyone has a sense of what % of applicants were invited for interviews in R1 under the new interview format? Also, any sense of what % of interviewees actually make it in?

I want it to be the 20th already!

That is an area of concern for me (I realized there is nothing I can do). I am worry that because of the TBD they have interviewed more people and seen more candidate and to be honest a TBD is harder to differentiate candidates and they are going to put a boatload of people in the waiting list. I hope I either get in or rejected. I will hate to be in the waitlist.

True. WL will be like being in a Limbo. And I have no motivation to work on the remianing apps at this time. I would have assumed they would invite less people because of the TBD, due to logistics of the ordeal.

Also, assuming the information on this site is a fair subset of the application pool, based on people who have updated their information looks like 10% were interviewed.. so even if we applied a 5% margin error, it seems lower than in the past years where they interviewed nearly 40% of the class and of that 40% got in...

(I know I am overthinking it)
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
From the admissions blog:

As we prepare for the close of Round 1, the Admissions Team and I wanted to touch base before decisions go live on Thursday, December 20. We realize that these last couples of weeks have brought about hardest part of the process: waiting! We are just as eager as you are to start welcoming the MBA Class of 2015. All decisions will be distributed online, so be sure to keep an eye on your email for an ‘updated status’ notification.

Good luck next week, everyone!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: LBS '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q39 V45
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
aerien wrote:
Azn84 wrote:
Thanks! As always.. i've beens talking their board and they send that message out after i make my post :D

They don't mention a timing.. so I guess if we don't hear anything by EOD it implies you didn't get in? I want it to be the 20th already!

No timing mentioned ... and nothing about phone calls for admits. I'm sure if you go through last year's thread, you'd be able to figure out any timing there (anyone on this board want to offer up their research? I'm 100% positive someone has looked already ;)).

ohh yes i did! i did indeed. i dug up the past!
1:43pm EST time decisions were available online. People on the East Coast got calls as early as 7:30 am and up to noon...

for some reason... i feel better knowing this!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Tovin wrote:
My link is gone but recommenders remain as well. I think you guys are over-speculating here. Only ~24 hours to go, no reason to panic at this point.

Wait... isn't panicking the best part of this process!?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
Send PM
Kudos
Got the call about 1/2 an hour ago! I'm in India
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
GPA: 2.9
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
I'm in from DC. I just got the call ~30 minutes ago and got the follow-on email 20 minutes later. They said they would change the statuses by this afternoon.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
mbaover30 wrote:
Just got off the phone with Ankur. IN with a fellowship (exact same as Booth's)

(Los Angeles)

Happy happy joy joy! Happy happy joy joy! Congrats! You're on quite the roll and will have some tough choices to make.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Kudos
VM from Wharton Admissions Office a little before 10am. HCM applicant!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Send PM
Kudos
In! SF :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Just heard! Based in DC. Missed the first call and they tried again a few minutes later (around 11:50)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V45
GPA: 3.47
WE:Marketing (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Wharton Class of 2015!!!!! Got a call at 9:50am but missed it. Got an email about 30 minutes ago. Shoutout to MBAOVER30 been following your blog all along, can't wait to meet you at admitted students weekend or during pre-term!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Special thanks to mbaover30 and cheetarah. I'm a MEGA lurker. I'm not the genius content creators you guys (and many others on this forum are), but I loved reading your stories and explanations. Congrats mbaover30 - great news on Booth and Wharton.

To everyone else, my call was from a current student who was based in Philly but who was tasked with calling San Francisco applicants. He did mention that I was the very last call he would be making. So, I'm not sure what that means exactly. I would think that there are still calls going out all over the place to all parts of the country, though. It's definitely not a centralized, systematic, time-zone by time-zone effort.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
Send PM
Kudos
In from Arizona! Any other Lauder admits?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V45
GPA: 3.47
WE:Marketing (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
To everyone still in the hunt, just keep on truckin'. I got waitlisted at HBS, rejected at Kellogg, and in with a fellowship at Wharton! This whole process is a crapshoot...just keep trying! "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence" - Calvin Coolidge
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  81   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts