Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 12:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing
GPA: 3.66
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [2] , given: 7

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 06:59
This post received
KUDOS
leodondon wrote:
nickey11 wrote:
Does anyone know whether they let you bring your research note into the discussion room? Since you have done research on each topic they have given... Wanted to know if they want you to remember it in your head or u can bring that note..

Same question here, anyone from R1 can share a bit?

I already interviewed, from my experience it would look very odd to bring notes - should all just be by memory. Also, people say where they worked if its a place others would know (ie Bain) and if not they characterized it (ie 'middle market PE shop in NY') Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 07:21
equestrian wrote:
leodondon wrote:
nickey11 wrote:
Does anyone know whether they let you bring your research note into the discussion room? Since you have done research on each topic they have given... Wanted to know if they want you to remember it in your head or u can bring that note..

I already interviewed, from my experience it would look very odd to bring notes - should all just be by memory. Also, people say where they worked if its a place others would know (ie Bain) and if not they characterized it (ie 'middle market PE shop in NY') Hope this helps!

Thanks! So you do only have 1 minute to give your proposal? Seems quite tight...
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
GPA: 3.8
WE: Analyst (Other)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [2] , given: 3

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 08:03
This post received
KUDOS
leodondon wrote:
nickey11 wrote:

I interviewed last week and saw people who brought notes in and people who didn't. But main idea is to engage with the discussion at hand, so even if you do bring notes in, realize that you are probably not going to use it after the very beginning. I did not find the conversation difficult enough that I felt that I needed my notes.

If it makes you feel more prepared, then go ahead and bring them in. But don't focus on reading the notes to the detriment of having a conversation with your group, because that definitely won't reflect well on you.

My $0.02
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 333 [1] , given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 12:53
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
nickey11 wrote:

Nickey,

Our clients have said you can bring in notes and that you can even take notes as others speak, but don't bring notes that resemble War and Peace . When in the interview, focus on the others' comments, not your notes. You can jot down an idea here and there, but don't let your notes be a distraction to you or others. Remember: it's supposed to be a discussion, not a speech or a test of dictation.

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 15:15
Just finished the interview. I think it went just ok. I didn't get to speak a lot in the start and tried to make up for it at the end.

Did anyone get it in Round1 after feeling like the interview went just so-so? Curious to hear thoughts as in our group of 6 it was initially difficult to some airtime especially early-on.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 4

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2013, 20:28
Ugh I felt the same way! Would love to hear as well!

bulls011 wrote:
Just finished the interview. I think it went just ok. I didn't get to speak a lot in the start and tried to make up for it at the end.

Did anyone get it in Round1 after feeling like the interview went just so-so? Curious to hear thoughts as in our group of 6 it was initially difficult to some airtime especially early-on.

Thanks!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 04:38
Would anyone like to share the group interview process?
1 minute brief introduction (total 6 minutes);
Around 20-minute free discussion;
Around 20-minute conclusion;
Totally 45 minutes?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Real Estate, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE: Analyst (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 0

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 05:49
This post received
KUDOS
xmatrix wrote:
Would anyone like to share the group interview process?
1 minute brief introduction (total 6 minutes);
Around 20-minute free discussion;
Around 20-minute conclusion;
Totally 45 minutes?

~1 minute per person.
29 minutes of discussion.

then it's over. 35 minutes all in
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GPA: 3.7
WE: Sales (Internet and New Media)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 06:04
Also, is the 60 sec intro timed? Is it allowed to go over slightly?
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Real Estate, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE: Analyst (Real Estate)

Kudos [?]: 17 [2] , given: 0

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 06:09
This post received
KUDOS
googleguy wrote:

it's not timed. The assessors just tell you to go. their only other input is to tell you how much time you have left a couple of times (20 minutes left, 10 minutes left)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 08:47
Guys,
do you know whether you could bring on one-on-one interview an adjusted version of resume ot you should bring the same resume that you posted in application?

Thanks!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 333 [1] , given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 09:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
googleguy wrote:

Our clients have told us it's timed and has a hard stop at 1 minute.

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 11:20
This post received
KUDOS
Accepted.com wrote:
googleguy wrote:

It is not timed. Interviewers do not give any guidance!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V0

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 4

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 11:36
This post received
KUDOS
My experience was the same - not times. Very little guidance/commentary.

BankerRUS wrote:
Accepted.com wrote:
googleguy wrote:

It is not timed. Interviewers do not give any guidance!

Posted from my mobile device Image
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
WE: General Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 47 [2] , given: 73

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 12:21
This post received
KUDOS
fromchicago wrote:
I had couple of quick questions:

- At the group discussion, do people divulge which company they work for?
- Does the one-on-one interviewer read your application beforehand? or is it a blind interview?

Thanks.

1) Yes; though my group did it in the informal discussion we had prior to the interview
2) Technically its blind, but if you interview internationally or in SF you will be with an admissions committee member who will have seen your application and voted to get you to that point.

===============
2015 Wharton MBA Candidate
http://www.mbaover30.com - Affordable MBA Admissions Consulting

3 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 47 [3] , given: 73

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 12:25
This post received
KUDOS
Accepted.com wrote:
googleguy wrote:

Pretty much. Take whatever is in your interview prompt quite literally. In my experience, the school does not deviate.

The thing is (soapbox warning), however, that what they are looking for is something that you can't be taught. It is a snapshot into the person you have become up to this point; how you contribute to a team, how you persuade others, how you play with others in the sandbox...there is no strategy that can help someone who is bad at that; and no slip of the tongue will ruin the chances of someone who is good.

===============

2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 47 [2] , given: 73

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 12:28
This post received
KUDOS
bulls011 wrote:

Thanks!

I thought my group discussion and interview went well, but I was in a group with people who's group discussion (I didn't see their one on one's) was just so-so who got in. Remember that everyone does not walk into the interview round as equals. Some people already have breaking room due to their GMAT, grades, extras, essays, unique perspective or what have you. IMO, being a good contributor without obvious weaknesses is a better bet than swinging for the fences. Have confidence in your performance and let what will be, be.

===============

Current Student
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.52
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 20

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 12:45
mbaover30 wrote:
bulls011 wrote:

Thanks!

I thought my group discussion and interview went well, but I was in a group with people who's group discussion (I didn't see their one on one's) was just so-so who got in. Remember that everyone does not walk into the interview round as equals. Some people already have breaking room due to their GMAT, grades, extras, essays, unique perspective or what have you. IMO, being a good contributor without obvious weaknesses is a better bet than swinging for the fences. Have confidence in your performance and let what will be, be.

Do you know which of your group members got it? If so, it would be interesting to know what you thought of their performances. From my own experience, I have a decent idea which of my group members will likely get in.
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 14:28
Mine was timed with a hard cutoff at 1 min by the monitors.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 11

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2013, 18:28
Just to clarify, the 1-min intro refers to self-intro (like where am i from, what do i do), not an elevator pitch of your idea right?

Also, along the lines of bringing in notes, did anyone bring in an iPad? Or maybe a smaller, less obnoxious tablet like an iPad mini or Kindle fire...?
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 26 Feb 2013, 18:28