Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 18:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q V
GRE 1: 322 Q158 V164
GPA: 3.84
WE: Underwriter (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2012, 07:44
madammepsychosis wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
madammepsychosis wrote:
Anybody have any idea what Wharton is looking for in the hobbies or related activities section of the app? It seems like "hobbies" suggests things like, I enjoy cooking and skiing in my free time, but I don't belong to any club or organization or hold a title with respect to these activities, and there is no start/stop date. I'm debating whether to include these types of hobbies (eg, "Cooking" is my "club" and I have been doing it from xx/2004 to present and spend about 3 hrs per week doing it) or just leave this section blank. Also thinking about adding very old club involvements, like I was on a ski team in high school, in order to indicate that I have been involved in this activity for a long time, but on the other hand maybe it is just stale and unimportant at this point. Thoughts?

Well, I would leave out the ski thing. You hit the nail on the head when you wrote the word "Stale"... If you haven't done it since high school, it's likely not all that relevant. As for the cooking, that can be great, but we need to know that it's more than three hours of you just slapping some tomatoes in the pan to put on your spaghetti! You need to find some concrete way to make it relevant and interesting (like, you have taken courses in three types of cuisine, you know how to make Peking Duck, you test two new recipes a week, etc.... Make it UNIQUE and INTERESTING!

Seems sensible. I do put a lot more into cooking that just basic sustenance (know you were just making a point :-D ) -- I like to challenge myself and cook new and exciting dishes when I can (unfortunately, work and other commitments (MBA apps) don't afford me time to test 2 new recipes a week, but when I do get time I might spend a whole day in the kitchen), love classic French the best -- but, still, how do you work this into the Wharton hobbies section? They give you four entries to fill in: Club/organization, Positions held, Start date/end date, and # hrs per week. There is no room for explanation, other than 250 characters for all your hobbies combined to explain which activity you enjoy the most and why. Is it bad to just leave the hobbies/interests section blank entirely and depend only on the more formal ECs listed in the activities section? I would like to show some of my other interests outside of work to highlight a multifaceted personality, beyond what I will be writing in one of my essays (which conveys just one of my personal passions), but seems like this is the only place to do so (no room on my resume, and even if I did have room I frankly think it a little amateurish to list hobbies on a professional resume). Might just end up scrapping the whole section, though.

I definitely wouldn't scrap this section. This is a very straight-forward area where you get to try and pull yourself "off the page" and show the AdCom a fuller picture of yourself. Just because you're not involved in a cooking club doesn't mean they won't be interested that you like to cook. Cooking says something about you. It says something about you if you say you like to cook and ski on your free time opposed to someone that likes to watch movies and read. Those are two different types of people. They want to know that. Being involved in a club and holding office is, I would guess, a plus for the AdCom but it's not a make-or-break. Don't let great be the enemy of good.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2012, 07:51
madammepsychosis wrote:
Is it bad to just leave the hobbies/interests section blank entirely and depend only on the more formal ECs listed in the activities section?

I cannot tell whether it is bad, but for what it's worth: it is what I did. I find there is no clear distinction anyway, and the EC section is just so much more forthcoming. There are enough slots there, too.

Obviously, the "what would you do on a free afternoon" essay is even better, but if I understand you correctly, you are putting that to use already. Though I had great fun imagining "bad" replies to that essay...
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V47
GPA: 3.53
WE: Law (Law)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 3

Reviews Badge
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2012, 08:51
Aeneid wrote:
Don't let great be the enemy of good.

Very apt usage I think and will definitely consider. I think I am going to have to fill out the hobbies section, print out the app, and see if it just looks kind of ridiculous to put "Club: Cooking", "Position: Head chef of my kitchen", ....

LibertyBell wrote:
madammepsychosis wrote:
Is it bad to just leave the hobbies/interests section blank entirely and depend only on the more formal ECs listed in the activities section?

I cannot tell whether it is bad, but for what it's worth: it is what I did. I find there is no clear distinction anyway, and the EC section is just so much more forthcoming. There are enough slots there, too.

Obviously, the "what would you do on a free afternoon" essay is even better, but if I understand you correctly, you are putting that to use already. Though I had great fun imagining "bad" replies to that essay...

Haha I imagined some really bad replies to that essay as well. Actually, I am not writing the "what would you do with 3 free hours" essay, but my answer to the "pick a Wharton club/co-curricular" question has a very personal tone and highlights one of my passions, so it kind of serves the same purpose.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 74 [1] , given: 7

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2012, 11:24
This post received
KUDOS
madammepsychosis wrote:
Aeneid wrote:

Haha I imagined some really bad replies to that essay as well. Actually, I am not writing the "what would you do with 3 free hours" essay, but my answer to the "pick a Wharton club/co-curricular" question has a very personal tone and highlights one of my passions, so it kind of serves the same purpose.

My #2 essay was about going home, playing some video games until like 8 oclock, making dinner and watching some tv (If I was going to be real with them).. I decided to go with Essays #1 and #3.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Retail Banking)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2012, 19:53
Well, R1 is about to get interesting this upcoming week. Good luck to everyone!
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 4

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2012, 20:35
Interested in learning how the group interviews go. This isn't taking the place of the one on one interviews, and or is it? Still on the fence about Wharton.. To those who have visited campus, how safe is the school and living areas?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2012, 21:01
mba2014hopeful wrote:
theK wrote:
sid05 wrote:
This is what was listed:

The off-campus interviews will be held in Dubai, London, Mexico City, Mumbai, New Delhi, San Francisco, Sao Paulo, Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore, and Tokyo.

Thanks, sid05. That corresponds to what Adam Markus has on his blog:

For the international applicants that have been invited to an interview, can anybody share with me the dates for the sessions in Singapore? Much appreciated.

Invites won't go out until Oct 23 to Nov 9. Hang tight until then.

Hey- could you share where u got the info? Does it mean I can expect invite from the admin ANYTIME between the two dates and need to sign up for the slots immediately? Thats horrible...
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 14

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2012, 23:30
skydiverwahoos wrote:
mba2014hopeful wrote:

Hey- could you share where u got the info? Does it mean I can expect invite from the admin ANYTIME between the two dates and need to sign up for the slots immediately? Thats horrible...

This info is from the email from Wharton (with the subject "Wharton Round One Information"). Yes, invites can come in ANY TIME between these 2 dates.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2012, 23:42
c00guy wrote:
skydiverwahoos wrote:
mba2014hopeful wrote:

This info is from the email from Wharton (with the subject "Wharton Round One Information"). Yes, invites can come in ANY TIME between these 2 dates.

Thanks a lot. we'll see. bless all of us.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2012, 19:38
One more day before invites go out...
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 23

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 00:40
Dbalks wrote:
Pashya wrote:
I feel like this slightly throws me out of my comfort zone. I mean, I was mentally prepared for one-on-one interviews with my colleges. Now we're going to be scrapping for footage time in a room full of ultra smart people. I think its going to be interesting but excruciatingly nerve wracking.

Alright, this is loser talk. You my friend are a member of GMATClub. You scored highly on your GMAT. You are applying yousrelf to one of the top busines schools in the world. From this I can tell you are a bright driven individual. If you are getting an interview at Wharton, you will be one of those ultra smart people in that room. You are clearly on par with the best of the best. If you cant muster up the self confidence and courage to get in there and make a few points during the discussion, then you don't deserve Wharton. Its not about scrapping for time, I am very reserved in these situations, but I will go in with a game plan. I know I wont dominate the conversation, but I will try to get a few key points in and build off others in the room.

Come on, we got this.

Haha. You're right. I completely take every point you made in there. Got to believe in one's self. However, that email from them did throw me off a bit. One step a time though - let's hope to land that interview call!

INSEAD - MBA Class of December 2015
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/insead15d/
WhatsApp Group (Admits): PM me with your number to join the group :-)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 32

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 06:34
mourinhogmat1 wrote:

Anyone know how invites go out tomorrow? Do they just send out a mass group of interview invites to numerous people at the same time tomorrow and then trickle the remaining invites out through November 9th? Do they send out any direct rejections tomorrow?

Thanks.
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 7

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 10:46
Judging by last years Calling all Applicants thread, its going to be one mass time period of everyone posted I got an interview. Thats the next step in this process, and can shatter my dreams or make me happy.

Best of luck to all tomorrow!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Asset Management (Venture Capital)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 4

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 11:53
This post received
KUDOS
NYCFinanceGuy wrote:
mourinhogmat1 wrote:

Anyone know how invites go out tomorrow? Do they just send out a mass group of interview invites to numerous people at the same time tomorrow and then trickle the remaining invites out through November 9th? Do they send out any direct rejections tomorrow?

Thanks.

I think they're doing it Ed McMahon style. Someone will show up at your front door with a HUGE envelope containing an invitation. I just hope they don't go overboard with TV cameras and balloons.
4 KUDOS received
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 400 [4] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2012, 19:39
This post received
KUDOS
NYCFinanceGuy wrote:
mourinhogmat1 wrote:

Thanks.

No rejections will be sent out until the mid decision day (Nov. 9 I assume). Last year interview invites went out in increments roughly once per week. There wasn't one mass emailing for 80% of invitees. From what I saw it seemed like a pretty steady # of invites in each wave. I can't tell you the frequency of the waves or at what time of day the emails are sent. I can tell you that the invites on a particular day are all sent out at the same time (i.e. if people report interview invites around 2:00 p.m. then there won't be more at 3:00 or 4:00). It is possible to be invited on the very last day.

Try to stay calm during the interview window. Don't try to look for patterns or meaning in who gets invited when. When you submitted your app has no bearing on when you will receive an invite. The first letter of your last name will not determine when you are invited. Geography may be a factor in invite timing (last year the international applicants seemed to get their invites first). International applicants, do not panic if you aren't invited in the first wave. Even if hub location slots are full you can still be invited. Breathe in, breathe out. Breathe in, breathe out. Good luck!

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Manager
Manager

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2012, 04:18
cheetarah1980 wrote:
NYCFinanceGuy wrote:
mourinhogmat1 wrote:

Thanks.

No rejections will be sent out until the mid decision day (Nov. 9 I assume). Last year interview invites went out in increments roughly once per week. There wasn't one mass emailing for 80% of invitees. From what I saw it seemed like a pretty steady # of invites in each wave. I can't tell you the frequency of the waves or at what time of day the emails are sent. I can tell you that the invites on a particular day are all sent out at the same time (i.e. if people report interview invites around 2:00 p.m. then there won't be more at 3:00 or 4:00). It is possible to be invited on the very last day.

Try to stay calm during the interview window. Don't try to look for patterns or meaning in who gets invited when. When you submitted your app has no bearing on when you will receive an invite. The first letter of your last name will not determine when you are invited. Geography may be a factor in invite timing (last year the international applicants seemed to get their invites first). International applicants, do not panic if you aren't invited in the first wave. Even if hub location slots are full you can still be invited. Breathe in, breathe out. Breathe in, breathe out. Good luck!

Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
Chat Moderator
Schools: Johnson '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 196 [1] , given: 57

Premium Member
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2012, 04:27
This post received
KUDOS
If you're feeling anxious, feel free to join and chat throughout the decision process!

http://gmatclub.com/chat/

Good Luck!

My Applicant Blog: http://hamm0.wordpress.com/

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2012, 05:34
cheetarah1980 wrote:

This is extremely useful information :!: Thank you very much!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2012, 06:11
Ne1 heard anything yet?
Manager
Manager

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2012, 06:15
integraldx wrote:
Ne1 heard anything yet?

Nothing here yet.
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 23 Oct 2012, 06:15