Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 10:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 11:45
This post received
KUDOS
I'm in! Congrats to everyone else who got good news, and to those who didn't, best of luck with your other applications!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
WE: General Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 47 [1] , given: 73

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 12:38
This post received
KUDOS
Sigma26 wrote:
WL too

What are the odds from here? Is it more like the HBS 25% or the Stanford 5%?

Posted from my mobile device Image

Odds based on Yield, and H/S/W have the highest 3 yields. At HBS, 10% (100) of admits have generally given up their spots; 15% (~65) at Stanford GSB; Wharton, 30% (~300). However, each school plans for this and over invites. The numbers and trends tend to hold from year to year though.

===============
2015 Wharton MBA Candidate
http://www.mbaover30.com - Affordable MBA Admissions Consulting

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 770 Q V0
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 12:59
This post received
KUDOS
In!

I'm one of those lurkers, thanks for all the posts over the past few months.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Schools: Wharton '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GPA: 3.4

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 3

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2012, 05:44
This post received
KUDOS
I know this is late, but IN!!! Lauder Japanese track, based in the US!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 04:29
This post received
KUDOS
Up to you- if you can make it compelling, go for it. Networking just seems like a pretty weak/uninteresting use of your unexpected free time IMO.

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.52
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 33 [1] , given: 20

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 10:32
This post received
KUDOS
dan62287 wrote:
This quote from the email today seems to imply that they won't be doing this group interview for round 2? Was this mentioned before?

"If you are invited for an interview, you will need to complete your interview by Friday, March 15th. Interviews will be available on campus with second-year Wharton MBA Students who are full members of the Admissions Committee and off campus in various locations around the world by Admissions staff members. All interview options are equally considered within the admissions process."

Found this:
http://engage.wharton.upenn.edu/MBA/for ... 12247.aspx

If you scroll down to the end, Victor Lee makes a comment saying:
"Got official confirmation. If you have your interviews on campus, it will be conducted entirely with specially trained 2nd year MBA students. If you have your interview off campus, AdCom members will run your interviews."

This was for R1. Re-reading the email, this makes sense and I don't think they've thrown out the group discussions.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.54
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 20

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 07:34
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

All you people needing the chat transcripts give your e-mail IDs.I saved the chat and will send the chat transcripts to you.

I just sent the transcript to some people.

P.S.If you are getting it in correct format,do reply below this post.(My inbox is stuffed up so very difficult to search through mails and find if some formatting need to be done to the chat transcript mail)

It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you kudos does rev the engines :)

Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try,it means you should just try harder.

"Keep Walking" - Johnny Walker

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 70

Kudos [?]: 442 [1] , given: 450

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 08:33
This post received
KUDOS
harshchamp wrote:
Hi,

All you people needing the chat transcripts give your e-mail IDs.I saved the chat and will send the chat transcripts to you.

I just sent the transcript to some people.

P.S.If you are getting it in correct format,do reply below this post.(My inbox is stuffed up so very difficult to search through mails and find if some formatting need to be done to the chat transcript mail)

I think it will be better if you could upload the chat transcript file in a post on this thread itself. There is an option to attach a file when you reply.

thanks

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 07:47
This post received
KUDOS
SecondMBA wrote:
mbaover30 wrote:
Good luck everyone!

@mbaover30 - any broad sense as to what % of the total invites will be given out today (based on round 1 trends) ?

I have no idea. Don't focus on that. Just remind yourself that 40% will be invited and convince yourself that you are one of them.

===============

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 2

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 08:16
This post received
KUDOS
RoyHalladay wrote:
Do invites go out randomly or only at certain times? I see that its the afternoon EST. Going forward, will emails be sent on certain days (ie Tuesday afternoons?)

Edit: nevermind, saw the answer at the top of the page. Sorry!

So, it's every tuesday? I didn't find the answer, sorry. :?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 19

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 11:27
This post received
KUDOS
dougdoug wrote:
Any word as to whether the invites are truly sent out at random (other than an emphasis on international invites early)? By random I mean that the timing is no reflection on the quality of the applicant. I'm sure this is answered elsewhere but figured I could also get a quick response...

It's a myth. People who think international invitations go out first based the reason that it gives applicants more time to make travel arrangements. It makes sense, but this view has never been backed by the Adcom.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 12:26
This post received
KUDOS
harshchamp wrote:
Hi experts/admission consultants/applicants,

I need your advice regarding an important issue.I converted my GPA through (WES)World Education Services (3.54/4.00).My GPA on a 10.0 scale is 6.68 but since the grading system at my institute(comparable to IIT's - top10)is tough I don't know what the Adcoms will make of my 6.68 GPA.Also,not many people from my college apply to B-schools so I have no idea how adcoms will normalize my scores. I even submitted an alternative transcript from mbamath.com scoring 100/100 marks in 24 quizzes.My GMAT score is Q51,V41.

I didn't know that most of the schools were AccessWES clients,which means that they can see my verified transcripts and converted GPA online only without me having to send any transcripts from WES. I mailed to schools regarding this.

Columbia replied to the mail and added my GPA on a 4.0 scale.
Stanford replied to the mail stating that they won't make any addition to the application.(Frankly,this is not an addition,just my GPA on another scale to help the adcoms normalize my scores)
Wharton replied to the mail stating that they will ask the operations team to look at my WES 4.0 GPA but I don't have nay follow-up whether they have taken my 4.0 GPA into account.
My application data in 2 data forms was not updated in HBS Application form.I sent a mail to HBS on 7th itself(R2 deadline) but didn't get any reply.I again sent a mail on 24th regarding the data in application form and 4.0 GPA issue but have not received any reply. Should I go ahead and phone the admissions office about the issue?They are issuing invites tomorrow so I thought they might be busy and will reply to my mail later.(but 22 days and no reply)

MIT Sloan also didn't replied to the mail.Should I wait for some days before reminding on mail again or should I phone the admissions office rightaway?

My question is :-Is it okay if I call up HBS,Wharton and MIT Sloan's office or is there any different strategy for the 3 schools. I thought it was polite to just write a mail and wait for their response but geting no response at all takes me to the nail-bitting mode :(

I greatly appreciate your help and time in advance.Solving this issue might help calm my nerves.Really stressed for the past week.

I suggest you call the schools, this is an offbeat discussion which may not get full justice over email. Make sure you are clear what you are requesting when you talk to them on the phone - "You did not put the GPA generated by WES since ....".
Most of the adcoms are very helpful, and if they are busy they will either not pickup the phone or ask you to call later.

I suggest calling Stanford too, since there is confusion between them thinking you are giving them new information v/s updating information. They may end up giving you the same reply, but its worth calling.

At the same time, keep a soft copy of the WES report ready, so you can email them during or immediately after the call.

Hope this helps ....
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 15:40
This post received
KUDOS
Got an invite! (around 2pm NY time I guess)

Profile: Indian Male (25) in Singapore, 760 / IIT - 3.4 / Nomura - Quantitative Research- Associate (3.5 years) (All 3.5 years worked outside India - Tokyo/HK/Singapore)

Good luck for others who are waiting

PS: This selection process seems to be so random!! Got rejected by Columbia and Insead (for interview) few days back and I was so confident that I can get admitted into these schools.. LOL
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V37

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 1

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2013, 18:42
This post received
KUDOS
Invited! After all my first round schools rejected me without interview, that's the first interview finally!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 7

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2013, 06:46
This post received
KUDOS
cheetarah1980 wrote:
Did Wharton give a window in which they will send interview invites? If it's a 3-4 week invite window and only one week has passed, it is way too early to think that all of the invites have gone out. Wharton invites people throughout the invite window, not just in the first few days. Sit tight and best of luck.

Yes, the window for this round is Jan 29 - Feb 27, so today is day 5 of 30.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 12:00
This post received
KUDOS
BankerRUS wrote:
Hey guys, who were admitted in round 1, do you have any tips for the group discussions? Any help is much appreciated.

1) Prepare, prepare, prepare for both topics. Have a good number of data points so that you can speak intelligently.
2) Be nice
3) Don't be SO nice that there is no conversation

If you do those 3 things, you'll be fine. I don't want to say too much, but trust me as simplistic as they sound those will serve you VERY WELL if you execute each. Sorry that I cannot provide more detail; don't want to upset admissions.

===============

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Wharton '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GPA: 3.4

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 3

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 15:15
This post received
KUDOS
aminor78 wrote:
mbaover30 wrote:
BankerRUS wrote:
Hey guys, who were admitted in round 1, do you have any tips for the group discussions? Any help is much appreciated.

1) Prepare, prepare, prepare for both topics. Have a good number of data points so that you can speak intelligently.
2) Be nice
3) Don't be SO nice that there is no conversation

If you do those 3 things, you'll be fine. I don't want to say too much, but trust me as simplistic as they sound those will serve you VERY WELL if you execute each. Sorry that I cannot provide more detail; don't want to upset admissions.

Prepare how? Are you expected to support your assertions with personal anecdotes, facts / trends, or both?

Yes, of course. If you think that the answer to world hunger is XYZ and you share with the group how you have worked on XYZ or you know a great deal about the history of XYZ then you will be in a good position. You want to leave the admissions fellows feeling that your being in the group added something to the conversation.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 17:35
This post received
KUDOS
I disagree on it requiring preparation. You'll build off each other's ideas, just come up with a decent answer for each prompt. It was very obvious who prepared a speech in my group and it came off as a canned response.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.81
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 2

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 09:44
This post received
KUDOS
equestrian wrote:
MBAcm2013 wrote:
anyone else stalking their own email accounts? this wait for an invite is unbearable..

it looks like last week the invites went out at 1:30 ET....

Just got an interview invite via email!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V0

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 6

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 10:02
This post received
KUDOS
just got the invite!!
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 05 Feb 2013, 10:02