Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Healthcare
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Concentration: Finance, International Studies (South East Asia)
Schools:Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
GPA: 5 out of 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.1
WE:Business Development (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
hwsorbusted wrote:
Also, curious to hear other people's interpretation of Question 3. What do you consider "knowledge"? If, as a consultant, I come up with an insight through analysis and then implement it? Can knowledge be interpreted more broadly??

Thanks!

Read the question a little more and check the website where they talk about "Knowledge for Action." They expand on the definition.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Schools: Ross '16 (II)
Send PM
stupandaus wrote:
xinga wrote:
stupandaus wrote:
I think you're misinterpreting the question. It is certainly wanting you to discuss Wharton co-curricular opportunities and Wharton extra-curricular engagements. This is really a "Why Wharton?" question.

Is that so? Can you help me find the list to Wharton co-curricular activities or Wharton extra-curricular engagements?

If this is a 'Why Wharton' question, then all my prep for the essay has gone for a toss. May be it will be useful some place else :)

Check out their website. Tons of information there.

Could anyone share the link to the list of co-curricular activities and extra-curricular activities? I am unable to find a mention of the same on the website apart from the ones mentioned in the discussions- which I think cannot be considered a formal list of activities.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
xinga wrote:
Could anyone share the link to the list of co-curricular activities and extra-curricular activities? I am unable to find a mention of the same on the website apart from the ones mentioned in the discussions- which I think cannot be considered a formal list of activities.

https://www.wharton.upenn.edu/mba/leader ... /index.cfm
https://www.wharton.upenn.edu/mba/student-life/index.cfm

These are both major sections of the Wharton site...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
stupandaus wrote:
xinga wrote:

https://www.wharton.upenn.edu/mba/leader ... /index.cfm
https://www.wharton.upenn.edu/mba/student-life/index.cfm

These are both major sections of the Wharton site...

Thanks, Stupandaus...this was helpful :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
HBSGrad wrote:
stupandaus wrote:
hwsorbusted wrote:
Also, curious to hear other people's interpretation of Question 3. What do you consider "knowledge"? If, as a consultant, I come up with an insight through analysis and then implement it? Can knowledge be interpreted more broadly??

Thanks!

Read the question a little more and check the website where they talk about "Knowledge for Action." They expand on the definition.

Knowledge for Action is part of Wharton's new branding strategy. It's not a random essay question. It's a deliberate bait for you to write about how you fit in with this new brand. (HBS did the same rebranding last year when they launched the "Reimagining the MBA" initiative.)

Check out the website: https://www.wharton.upenn.edu/about/knowledge-for-action.cfm

Approximately half your essay should focus on Knowledge: how did you develop your Insight? what did you Research? how did you Analyze the data? what counterpoints did you Consider? who did you Debate your analysis with to arrive at your conclusion?

If you are a consultant, yes, the insights you develop can be considered Knowledge. But, don't just pick something that's purely academic / cerebral, ie just crunching a massive Access database to find a correlation is a weak example.

The other half of your essay should focus on the Action (duh!): this is the critical element! Most clients don't go deep enough into this part. This is your opportunity to demonstrate leadership skills: how did you Promote your idea? how did you get Buy-In on senior leadership? how did you Convince others? how did you Address push-back / resistance? how did you Motivate others to support your idea?

https://www.mbaadcom.com

3. "Knowledge for Action draws upon the great qualities that have always been evident at Wharton: rigorous research, dynamic thinking, and thoughtful leadership." - Thomas S. Robertson, Dean, The Wharton School

Tell us about a time when you put knowledge into action. (500 words)

My view on this is that the knowledge does not need to be academic at all, rather can be one, for the lack of better word, chanced upon. For example, credible information - which when verified is knowledge - that could have affected your business/your team/your client adversely, and how you reacted to it, would also be an example of knowledge in action. In such cases, research would not be a part of the process, but more on how you strategized a back up plan.

1. Select a Wharton MBA course, co-curricular opportunity or extra-curricular engagement that you are interested in. Tell us why you chose this activity and how it connects to your interests. (500 words)

For this essay, I would NOT write Why Wharton, but Why X at Wharton. The questions very specifically narrows it down to ONE activity ("Select a Wharton ...") so if you go gaga over Wharton then the adcom may take that as you being oversmart (writing about X+ Y +Z rather than only X) + an inability to answer questions specifically. Choosing and writing about one of the clubs (not the professional - eg: consulting - ones, but personal - eg: follies/comedy - or social etc. clubs) would make for a good essay (https://www.wharton.upenn.edu/mba/student-life/clubs.cfm)

Hope this is helpful
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Another query on the essays...this time on:

How will the Wharton MBA help you achieve your professional objectives? (400 words)

My take is that it is a combination of 'Why Wharton?', 'Why MBA?' and 'short-term & long-term goals' questions all tucked into one...

Would like to know if anyone has a different perception on the same...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
xinga wrote:
Another query on the essays...this time on:

How will the Wharton MBA help you achieve your professional objectives? (400 words)

My take is that it is a combination of 'Why Wharton?', 'Why MBA?' and 'short-term & long-term goals' questions all tucked into one...

Would like to know if anyone has a different perception on the same...

The essence of this question is HOW wharton will help you. So my recommendation is to state your short term goals, why you need them, and how short term goals will help in long term goals. Limit this to 150 words. use the remaining 250 words to answer why MBA (maybe 50 words) and the rest on why Wharton. Given the word limit, be highly specific.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi guys...

I just wanted to know if it would be any problem if i skip the "knowledge into action" essay and answer the other two? Will it be held against me if I don't answer an essay related to their brand? :?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V31
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.15
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi

does somebody know if we have to request that GMAC sends our official score report? Or is the official report only needed when you matriculate and the adcom will work with what you have filled out in the application form?

Hope someone can shed some light in here.

Thanks & Best & Good luck to all
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mucki139 wrote:
Hi

does somebody know if we have to request that GMAC sends our official score report? Or is the official report only needed when you matriculate and the adcom will work with what you have filled out in the application form?

Official report only when you matricualte.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
xinga wrote:
mucki139 wrote:
Hi

Official report only when you matricualte.

Thanks for the input
Manager
Manager
Send PM
One other thing that I find intimidating is the "Job Duties" description with about 1600 words space. What is Wharton looking here for? I dont want to repeat my resume.
Can we write somehow an essay about our accomplishments?

Hope some alumn or anyone related to wharton can help!
thanks
Manager
Manager
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
mucki139 wrote:
One other thing that I find intimidating is the "Job Duties" description with about 1600 words space. What is Wharton looking here for? I dont want to repeat my resume.
Can we write somehow an essay about our accomplishments?

Hope some alumn or anyone related to wharton can help!
thanks

I applied to Wharton for class of 2014 and was admitted. I hope that qualifies me to answer this question. The Job Duties description is just that, your job duties. Were you responsible for running monthly reports, selling a certain product line, interfacing with another department, etc? These are the types of things that should be described in this 1600 CHARACTER space. If you are having trouble finding the right words simply look up your job description on your company's HR website.
This should not be a repeat of your resume as your resume should be focused on what you ACCOMPLISHED in each job. Did you boost revenue, cut costs, develop a new process, win an award for outstanding results? All of these things should go on your resume.

So in summary, the application is the space where you describe what you actually do for a living (it will give context as to the nature of your work), and the resume is where you highlight your achievements. HTH.

Great, thank you very much.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Another question... I believe current students and alumni of Wharton can help me with this.
Are the students at Wharton competitive or collaborative?

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mastertigress wrote:
Another question... I believe current students and alumni of Wharton can help me with this.
Are the students at Wharton competitive or collaborative?

Thanks.

All the Wharton students I've met are quite collaborative. A really good example of this, is that the student body has traditionally voted for grade non disclosure.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Send PM
Quick question--will self reporting scores slow down application review? Did people arrange for official scores to be sent or can this wait until interview/admit?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
In for R2
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  12   13   14   15   16   17   18  ...  81   
Moderators: