Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 17:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2012
Posts: 58
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 08:58
aerien wrote:
BankerRUS wrote:
Hey guys, I am a R2 applicant and have a quick question.

I discovered the following information on the website: "Please upload a one-page resume in Word"

Does it me that the resume has to be in the MS WORD so doc, or docx format? Or am I completely misinterpreting it?

Many thanks for your help!


That's exactly what it means!

Posted from my mobile device Image[/quote

Many thanks. What about all the other document? pdf ? I mean for essays and recommendation letters!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Feb 2012
Posts: 100
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 10:45
BankerRUS wrote:
Hey guys, I am a R2 applicant and have a quick question.

I discovered the following information on the website: "Please upload a one-page resume in Word"

Does it me that the resume has to be in the MS WORD so doc, or docx format? Or am I completely misinterpreting it?

Many thanks for your help!


Where does it say that the resume should be in Word only? Here is the text from the application for the resume:

Please upload your resume, one page only. (This is in addition to completing the fields above.)


To upload a document in response to this question, please click the 'upload' button below. If your upload is successful, you will see a 'view document' button and a 'delete' button appear next to the question.


To view the current document you've uploaded, click on the 'view document' button below. To remove an uploaded document, please click on the 'delete' button below.


When you click "upload" it gives you the option of uploading in multiple formats (the same text as the essays prompt).
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2010
Posts: 129
Concentration: Healthcare
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 12:03
Submit a PDF - no formatting issues.
Kellogg Thread Master
User avatar
Status: Applying
Joined: 15 Jun 2012
Posts: 106
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V40
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 63

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 23:30
Guys can I include 'networking' as something as something I'd like to do in that 'work-free hours essay?
_________________

All that matters, comes after the word 'but'.

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2010
Posts: 129
Concentration: Healthcare
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 23:57
finmaster wrote:
Guys can I include 'networking' as something as something I'd like to do in that 'work-free hours essay?


I would say no - I'd use the essay to talk about something unique that you are passionate about. But, I was not a fan of that essay prompt so I didn't answer it.
Kellogg Thread Master
User avatar
Status: Applying
Joined: 15 Jun 2012
Posts: 106
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V40
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 63

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 00:54
scleraxis wrote:
finmaster wrote:
Guys can I include 'networking' as something as something I'd like to do in that 'work-free hours essay?


I would say no - I'd use the essay to talk about something unique that you are passionate about. But, I was not a fan of that essay prompt so I didn't answer it.


Well, here's the deal - I'm stuck.

I've written the Essay 1 and I've prepared the material and story for the 'Knowledge for action' essay. I'm going to illustrate a professional success here.

Now I have to choose between 'pick one wharton course/activity' and '3 work-free hours' essays and I'm simply clueless.

Here are my questions:

1. Apropos the 'pick one wharton course/activity' essay - It's 500 words! Even if I zeroed in on one particular activity or club that I'd be interested in, there's still way too less info available on internet about it. How am I gonna fill the space?

2. Apropos the '3 work-free hours' essay - I'd honestly use those 3 hours for networking, are you sure I can't show that?

Regards
_________________

All that matters, comes after the word 'but'.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2010
Posts: 129
Concentration: Healthcare
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 04:29
1
This post received
KUDOS
Up to you- if you can make it compelling, go for it. Networking just seems like a pretty weak/uninteresting use of your unexpected free time IMO.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Feb 2012
Posts: 100
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 07:12
finmaster wrote:

Well, here's the deal - I'm stuck.

I've written the Essay 1 and I've prepared the material and story for the 'Knowledge for action' essay. I'm going to illustrate a professional success here.

Now I have to choose between 'pick one wharton course/activity' and '3 work-free hours' essays and I'm simply clueless.

Here are my questions:

1. Apropos the 'pick one wharton course/activity' essay - It's 500 words! Even if I zeroed in on one particular activity or club that I'd be interested in, there's still way too less info available on internet about it. How am I gonna fill the space?

2. Apropos the '3 work-free hours' essay - I'd honestly use those 3 hours for networking, are you sure I can't show that?

Regards


finmaster, regarding the course/activity essay, while it is true that it doesn't take too much space to specify one particular activity or course, you also have to talk about why it matters to you. Talking about the course and explaining the reason(s) for selecting that course should easily get you to 500 words.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2012
Posts: 108
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 680 Q43 V40
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.52
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 20

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 07:55
finmaster wrote:
scleraxis wrote:
finmaster wrote:
Guys can I include 'networking' as something as something I'd like to do in that 'work-free hours essay?


I would say no - I'd use the essay to talk about something unique that you are passionate about. But, I was not a fan of that essay prompt so I didn't answer it.


Well, here's the deal - I'm stuck.

I've written the Essay 1 and I've prepared the material and story for the 'Knowledge for action' essay. I'm going to illustrate a professional success here.

Now I have to choose between 'pick one wharton course/activity' and '3 work-free hours' essays and I'm simply clueless.

Here are my questions:

1. Apropos the 'pick one wharton course/activity' essay - It's 500 words! Even if I zeroed in on one particular activity or club that I'd be interested in, there's still way too less info available on internet about it. How am I gonna fill the space?

2. Apropos the '3 work-free hours' essay - I'd honestly use those 3 hours for networking, are you sure I can't show that?

Regards

In the course/activity essay, this is where you can shine. Show Wharton that you've taken the time to really research the school, come up with what it is exactly that you're looking to get out of it, why its important, and how will you do it. Not sure if you have had a chance to speak with current students, or even better, visit campus/a Wharton event? But if you have, this would be a great place to weave it in. From my 3 essays (I choose the course/activity and the Knowledge for Action topics), this is probably my most powerful because I:
1) Show that I've done a lot of homework on the school
2) Talk about my visit to the campus; name people I met who are part of the club I am interested in
3) Discuss how and why this particular event/club is important to me and my future career
4) Demonstrate how I could contribute to Wharton in a unique way through this club

Hopefully you can follow that guideline. Good luck.

Also, I agree with the posters above: networking is probably not the best topic, unless you can make it VERY powerful...I'm not sure how you would do that.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 17 Dec 2012
Posts: 14
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 10:19
TR12281 wrote:
Any R2 Lauder applicants? I'd be happy to answer any of your questions as best I can.


What was the Lauder interview like? Also, did you end up filling 1,000 words for both essays?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Posts: 21
Location: United States (MA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.2
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 4

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2012, 10:37
ak2012 wrote:
finmaster wrote:

Well, here's the deal - I'm stuck.

I've written the Essay 1 and I've prepared the material and story for the 'Knowledge for action' essay. I'm going to illustrate a professional success here.

Now I have to choose between 'pick one wharton course/activity' and '3 work-free hours' essays and I'm simply clueless.

Here are my questions:

1. Apropos the 'pick one wharton course/activity' essay - It's 500 words! Even if I zeroed in on one particular activity or club that I'd be interested in, there's still way too less info available on internet about it. How am I gonna fill the space?

2. Apropos the '3 work-free hours' essay - I'd honestly use those 3 hours for networking, are you sure I can't show that?

Regards


finmaster, regarding the course/activity essay, while it is true that it doesn't take too much space to specify one particular activity or course, you also have to talk about why it matters to you. Talking about the course and explaining the reason(s) for selecting that course should easily get you to 500 words.


agreed. 500 words is nothing. i wrote about an extracurricular i was involved in. one paragraph about your involvement. one paragraph about what you would do. one paragraph with some tie-in to wharton. BOOM. finished.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Jan 2012
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2012, 08:03
I did not find any requirement about the essay's format on Wharton's website. I want to check with you whether there is any requirement, such as the font, the space?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2011
Posts: 97
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Dec 2012, 12:19
Guys,

I am in a dilemma here. I am a re-applicant and so I obviously need to use the optional essay to address the re-applicant specific requirements. That can be done in 250 words. It is not a lot but can make it work.The problem is that I also need to discuss an extenuating circumstance as well.
Trying to fit all this in one essay of 250 words is turning out to be a nightmare. I had an email conversation with Victor Lee, the most knowledgeable and most helpful guy on Wharton's S2S forum, and he suggested that going upto 350 words might be OK in this case.

Does anyone have any views on how to deal with this issue ? I was wondering if any of you faced a similar problem and have anything from adcoms on this issue. I did send an email to adcom as well and haven't received a response yet.

Thanks !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2010
Posts: 347
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 01:55
cognizant2001 wrote:
Guys,

I am in a dilemma here. I am a re-applicant and so I obviously need to use the optional essay to address the re-applicant specific requirements. That can be done in 250 words. It is not a lot but can make it work.The problem is that I also need to discuss an extenuating circumstance as well.
Trying to fit all this in one essay of 250 words is turning out to be a nightmare. I had an email conversation with Victor Lee, the most knowledgeable and most helpful guy on Wharton's S2S forum, and he suggested that going upto 350 words might be OK in this case.

Does anyone have any views on how to deal with this issue ? I was wondering if any of you faced a similar problem and have anything from adcoms on this issue. I did send an email to adcom as well and haven't received a response yet.

Thanks !


I'm in the exact same situation as you. I don't get why Wharton is not allowing re-applicants to submit both the normal re-applicant essay and the optional one. I understand that they want to cut down on the number of essays they have to read, but they're not giving us a lot of breathing room here. I think victor is right that going up to around 300 should be ok. Not sure about 350; that's really pushing it. Have you e-mailed the admissions office about this?
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Status: Wharton Class of 2014
Joined: 17 Oct 2011
Posts: 23
Location: United States (CO)
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.89
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 02:18
Shawshank wrote:
cognizant2001 wrote:
Guys,

I am in a dilemma here. I am a re-applicant and so I obviously need to use the optional essay to address the re-applicant specific requirements. That can be done in 250 words. It is not a lot but can make it work.The problem is that I also need to discuss an extenuating circumstance as well.
Trying to fit all this in one essay of 250 words is turning out to be a nightmare. I had an email conversation with Victor Lee, the most knowledgeable and most helpful guy on Wharton's S2S forum, and he suggested that going upto 350 words might be OK in this case.

Does anyone have any views on how to deal with this issue ? I was wondering if any of you faced a similar problem and have anything from adcoms on this issue. I did send an email to adcom as well and haven't received a response yet.

Thanks !


I'm in the exact same situation as you. I don't get why Wharton is not allowing re-applicants to submit both the normal re-applicant essay and the optional one. I understand that they want to cut down on the number of essays they have to read, but they're not giving us a lot of breathing room here. I think victor is right that going up to around 300 should be ok. Not sure about 350; that's really pushing it. Have you e-mailed the admissions office about this?


The word counts are definitely flexible and are primarily intended to prevent people from endlessly opining on topics. I used the opt essay to explain an extenuating circumstance and was able to spin it into a strength, but doing so meant that I used extra words.

The best advice I can offer is - if you feel that abiding by the word count will absolutely prevent you from being able to explain something that will otherwise prevent you from moving forward, then it is better to use extra words and give yourself a shot.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2011
Posts: 97
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 02:26
Shawshank wrote:
I'm in the exact same situation as you. I don't get why Wharton is not allowing re-applicants to submit both the normal re-applicant essay and the optional one. I understand that they want to cut down on the number of essays they have to read, but they're not giving us a lot of breathing room here. I think victor is right that going up to around 300 should be ok. Not sure about 350; that's really pushing it. Have you e-mailed the admissions office about this?


Yeah, I don't understand the logic behind asking to put everything in 250 words. Reapp AND extenuating circumstance = very few students :-D
I know Wharton has a larger number of re-applicants than most of the other schools but I don't assume every re-applicant has an extenuating circumstance to discuss :)

I did email the adcom, but, haven't heard anything back from them. I sent my email a day or two before Christmas, so its possible that the office is closed now and will re-open tomorrow. Not sure if they will be able to get back to me before the deadline. Anyways, if I hear anything from them, I will let you know.

Best Wishes,
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2011
Posts: 97
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 02:28
jcswinterpark wrote:
The word counts are definitely flexible and are primarily intended to prevent people from endlessly opining on topics. I used the opt essay to explain an extenuating circumstance and was able to spin it into a strength, but doing so meant that I used extra words.

The best advice I can offer is - if you feel that abiding by the word count will absolutely prevent you from being able to explain something that will otherwise prevent you from moving forward, then it is better to use extra words and give yourself a shot.


I agree 100 % with you.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Status: Wharton Class of 2014
Joined: 17 Oct 2011
Posts: 23
Location: United States (CO)
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.89
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 02:29
ak2012 wrote:
finmaster wrote:

Well, here's the deal - I'm stuck.

I've written the Essay 1 and I've prepared the material and story for the 'Knowledge for action' essay. I'm going to illustrate a professional success here.

Now I have to choose between 'pick one wharton course/activity' and '3 work-free hours' essays and I'm simply clueless.

Here are my questions:

1. Apropos the 'pick one wharton course/activity' essay - It's 500 words! Even if I zeroed in on one particular activity or club that I'd be interested in, there's still way too less info available on internet about it. How am I gonna fill the space?

2. Apropos the '3 work-free hours' essay - I'd honestly use those 3 hours for networking, are you sure I can't show that?

Regards


finmaster, regarding the course/activity essay, while it is true that it doesn't take too much space to specify one particular activity or course, you also have to talk about why it matters to you. Talking about the course and explaining the reason(s) for selecting that course should easily get you to 500 words.


In my humble opinion, I would write an essay about an extracurricular activity. Wharton has a bunch of clubs, all of which can be viewed at WGAWORLD.COM. Choosing to write about an extra curricular give you the opportunity to discuss a passion, a sport that you played, a way that you like to interact with others etc. This avenue is so flexible if you use it appropriately and it will give you an incredible platform to wow the reader. For instance, if you competed in crew, you could talk about joining the rowing club at Wharton because you spent X years rowing and learned how to work with, motivate, and lead others to victory etc.

If you write about networking you will sound like a plain vanilla person who is only interested in getting to know people for professional gain... that won't go over well and will probably push you in the direction of a likely rejection.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2010
Posts: 347
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 04:17
cognizant2001 wrote:
Shawshank wrote:
I'm in the exact same situation as you. I don't get why Wharton is not allowing re-applicants to submit both the normal re-applicant essay and the optional one. I understand that they want to cut down on the number of essays they have to read, but they're not giving us a lot of breathing room here. I think victor is right that going up to around 300 should be ok. Not sure about 350; that's really pushing it. Have you e-mailed the admissions office about this?


Yeah, I don't understand the logic behind asking to put everything in 250 words. Reapp AND extenuating circumstance = very few students :-D
I know Wharton has a larger number of re-applicants than most of the other schools but I don't assume every re-applicant has an extenuating circumstance to discuss :)

I did email the adcom, but, haven't heard anything back from them. I sent my email a day or two before Christmas, so its possible that the office is closed now and will re-open tomorrow. Not sure if they will be able to get back to me before the deadline. Anyways, if I hear anything from them, I will let you know.

Best Wishes,


If you applied within the past 2 years, adcom can simply dig up your previous app to look at the optional essay. So if the extenuating circumstance was discussed in the last app, then perhaps it's redundant to bring it up again.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2011
Posts: 97
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 05:29
Shawshank wrote:
If you applied within the past 2 years, adcom can simply dig up your previous app to look at the optional essay. So if the extenuating circumstance was discussed in the last app, then perhaps it's redundant to bring it up again.


The problem is that I didn't discuss it last time.
Even if I had discussed it last time, I think that needs to be repeated here. Its entirely upto adcom to decide what parts of your previous year's application they would look at. The new application has to stand on its own merit. Sometimes they just look at the comments last year's reviewer left on your application. That being said, if the extenuating circumstance is something that might raise an eyebrow, we will be better off explaining it and not leaving it on luck :)
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 01 Jan 2013, 05:29
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
460 Experts publish their posts in the topic Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants aerien 1614 25 Apr 2012, 00:55
Experts publish their posts in the topic Wharton Exec 2013 - Calling all applicants souvik101990 0 15 Feb 2013, 09:00
11 Experts publish their posts in the topic Wharton 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants aerien 126 01 Jan 2013, 18:31
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  35   36   37   38   39   40   41  ...  81    Next  [ 1615 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.