Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 19:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q V
GPA: 2.99
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 42

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2012, 11:39
dare02 wrote:
hey guys, is everyone doing the campus visit when they go to Wharton for the interview? Would it reflect poorly if we didn't?

I did the campus visit back in April so I will not be doing it when. I go to interview. If you haven't done it I would recommend doing just because you can comment on it in the one on one portion if they ask.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS '15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2012, 12:01
can the people who have already gone through the team discussion process provide some details? interested to know for the future, thanks
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 245

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2012, 17:27
Expert's post
Public service announcement: Please update your profiles.

Hey Round 1-ers -- please take a quick second to update your profiles with your R1 results! We have 227 supposed applicants and only about half of you have told us where you're at with the process. Help us here at GC get the most accurate information we can as we navigate this crazy bschool app process!

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 790 Q V
GPA: 3.2
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 22

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 09:46
Anybody want to discuss what the interview looks like?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q V0

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 10:21
Given Wharton's explicit request to keep details confidential, I don't think much will be forthcoming.

All I will say is that I really enjoyed the discussion and getting to know other people. It does allow for your personality to come through - so don't use it as a platform to promote personal achievements or otherwise be a jerk. The topics are interesting and do not warrant more than the minimal one hour preparation indicated.

Go in with an open mind and without much anxiety and I'm sure you'll find it an interesting and relaxed experience.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.71
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 10:49
Did my interview and it ended up being a lot of fun. It was as if everyone was propping each other up rather than putting the other folks down. Great experience and obviously many highly intelligent and accomplished interviewees. Goodluck to everyone.
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS '15

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 11:37
Was it more discussion-focused (everyone shares thoughts about the topic) or task-based (form a consensus, develop an action plan as a team)? Also just wondering what level of preparation they expected: do you need to find research to back up your viewpoint or just have a reasonably well-thought response to the prompt?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 11:49
Tovin wrote:
Did my interview and it ended up being a lot of fun. It was as if everyone was propping each other up rather than putting the other folks down. Great experience and obviously many highly intelligent and accomplished interviewees. Goodluck to everyone.

Sigma26 and Tovin,
Since you've been asked explicitly to not disclose details on the group discussion, would you mind sharing details of your one-on-one. How long did it last, what questions you were asked etc? Did you interview in Philly?

Thanks! and Good luck to you.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V45
GPA: 3.47
WE: Marketing (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

Reviews Badge
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 16:06
MJ22

We were told not to discuss ANY details about the interview. The one on one was a very quick 10 minutes and was VERY straightforward. Best way to prepare for it is probably to just skim over your application once or twice beforehand. I know its hard, but everyone needs to take a deep breath and stay calm, the interview is really low pressure and easy to get through.
Current Student

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 21:28
Anybody who interviewed in Philly know if they had a reception the night before? i know they did for some international candidates but not sure if they do that for domestic candidates.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q V
GPA: 2.99
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 42

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 10:28
DreamerfromPQ wrote:
Anybody who interviewed in Philly know if they had a reception the night before? i know they did for some international candidates but not sure if they do that for domestic candidates.

I interviewed in Philly and didn't hear about a reception, so I don't think they offer them for domestic candidates.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.6

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 15:57
Dakells wrote:
DreamerfromPQ wrote:

I interviewed in Philly and didn't hear about a reception, so I don't think they offer them for domestic candidates.

Yep, I'm interviewing in Philly on Friday and haven't heard about a reception either.
Current Student

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 09:41
Thanks guys, jus wanted to make sure I did not miss an email
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2012, 07:41
Hey guys,

I am a R2 applicant and am currently filling out the online form.

2 questions:

1) In the education section, one can include the awards for each school. In the the general information section, Wharton asks again for university awards etc. So if I had full scholarship for a school, I include it twice?

2) General Information: Activities section. I started with most of my activities before college and am still highly involved. So I decided to include them in activities after college section. It does not make sense to put them also "while in college " activities? Correct?

Your help is highly appreciated

Thanks
Intern
Intern

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 11:22
Thanks for the replies.

@Dbalk - Thanks. Wow that's a great GMAT score. I agree keep doing what you are passionate about. I think all of us are passionate about doing an MBA. I've looked at my profile and talked to my recommenders. Recommendations were strong. I also got some perspective from a friend who got into Booth. He said my essays were weak, GMAT score and GPA below average. I can't help my GPA, but my next step is going to be to improve my GMAT scores and spend a lot of time on the essays. I guess I didn't value my knowledge of the schools and went by information I found online.

@candayam - I agree with you. These are top schools, but we are top candidates. We just need to now how to represent ourselves better. I think we can make a better impression in both essays and resume.

@catalan1980 - I thought Wharton looks favorably on re-apps. Is that not true?

As for me, I'm going to take a break for a bit and then get back on the horse. I'll start with improving my GMAT score to make up for my below average GPA.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V48

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 16:15
anyone else's heart jump a bit when they got the "thank you for participating in the in the TBD" email :P ?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Retail Banking)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 16:18
dare02 wrote:
anyone else's heart jump a bit when they got the "thank you for participating in the in the TBD" email :P ?

Yeah, mine did a little. Then I kept reading and the Financial Aid section wiped away any excitement.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2012, 23:26
gringomex wrote:
dare02 wrote:

Yeah, mine did a little. Then I kept reading and the Financial Aid section wiped away any excitement.

Why are they asking us to think of this now? Are they sending it to everybody or who they think have really low salaries? :shock:
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 04:07
Hi Guys,

Does Wharton have some kind of "Graduate Ambassadors" so that applicants can connect with current students with similar career interests or backgrounds? What is the best way to reach out to Wharton students for an international applicant who cannot make a campus visit?

Thanks,
Vikram
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 14

Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2012, 07:40
VikramMukhi wrote:
Hi Guys,

Does Wharton have some kind of "Graduate Ambassadors" so that applicants can connect with current students with similar career interests or backgrounds? What is the best way to reach out to Wharton students for an international applicant who cannot make a campus visit?

Thanks,
Vikram

Possible ways to reach out are: a) attend an off-campus info session / admissions event, b) ask people you know to connect you with Wharton alumni in your city, c) call/email any questions that you have to the president/coordinator of a club that's of interest to you
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 19 Nov 2012, 07:40